News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Gen Xers and older millennials really just want to go back in time to before the

Started by ZLoth, June 15, 2023, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

Being online 'all the time' is clearly having negative consequences on society.  Just ask anyone under 30 about their dating life.  Mobile apps have imploded that scene.
Then, I don't need to detail how people are being radicalized inside their customized information bubbles.
Or how twitter mobs will dog-pile on the slightest lapse in judgement in certain circumstances just 'cuz.

Suicidality and mass shootings are spiking all over the country.  It's not because we have more guns; we've always had that. It's because people's phones are destroying their mental health.  The constant online peer pressure and the fear of being branded some kind of outcast; it wears on them.  Combine that with nobody getting laid and ready-made radicalization bubble ready to swoop in to take advantage of their frustration and it's no wonder we regularly see psycho 'kids' doing bad shit.

Our brains are not evolved to handle this type of constant stream of information.  These phones were supposed to connect and unite us; instead they are mobile anxiety machines.  Always ready to remind you that shit is fucked and you should be mad/scared/angry.

But telling people to just put it down for a while; that's almost like telling people not to eat.  This shit is designed to be addictive; to hoard your attention so you spend more time with their stupid, goddamn app.  And outrageous shit holds your attention more than benign shit.  So yeah, mobile anxiety machine. And we're stuck with it until the next coronal mass ejection.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hotdogPi

Quote from: bandit957 on June 16, 2023, 12:41:08 PM
What we need to do is go back to the 1970s.

Absolutely not.

Crime was higher in the 1970s than now. (The data goes to 2019; there was a 15% increase in 2020 and no change from 2020 to now, but it's still lower now even with that 15% increase.)

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

The term "stagflation" is most associated with the 1970s.

In addition, there was more overt racism (e.g. minorities not even being able to get jobs at all in some parts of the country rather than being disadvantaged but not shut out entirely), sexism (marital rape was still legal, and if the year you're jumping to is before 1974, women couldn't get credit cards), and LGBT rights were entirely nonexistent. As someone with autism, I would probably have been put in a mental asylum as a kid.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Rothman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 16, 2023, 12:37:03 PM
Being online 'all the time' is clearly having negative consequences on society.  Just ask anyone under 30 about their dating life.  Mobile apps have imploded that scene.
Then, I don't need to detail how people are being radicalized inside their customized information bubbles.
Or how twitter mobs will dog-pile on the slightest lapse in judgement in certain circumstances just 'cuz.

Suicidality and mass shootings are spiking all over the country.  It's not because we have more guns; we've always had that. It's because people's phones are destroying their mental health.  The constant online peer pressure and the fear of being branded some kind of outcast; it wears on them.  Combine that with nobody getting laid and ready-made radicalization bubble ready to swoop in to take advantage of their frustration and it's no wonder we regularly see psycho 'kids' doing bad shit.

Our brains are not evolved to handle this type of constant stream of information.  These phones were supposed to connect and unite us; instead they are mobile anxiety machines.  Always ready to remind you that shit is fucked and you should be mad/scared/angry.

But telling people to just put it down for a while; that's almost like telling people not to eat.  This shit is designed to be addictive; to hoard your attention so you spend more time with their stupid, goddamn app.  And outrageous shit holds your attention more than benign shit.  So yeah, mobile anxiety machine. And we're stuck with it until the next coronal mass ejection.
Sounds like this was written by ChatGPT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Heh, I met my wife via online dating when I was 34 back in 2017.  Certainly made things way easier than the traditional ways of meeting new people like bars.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2023, 01:26:23 PM
Heh, I met my wife via online dating when I was 34 back in 2017.  Certainly made things way easier than the traditional ways of meeting new people like bars.

I met my wife online in 2001 or 2002.  I have no idea if it was easier or harder, because I've never done the whole traditional dating thing.  I'm the only person she contacted on the site, and she's the only person who contacted me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

^This.

The digital age has also enabled long-distance relationships to be viable.  Still, I wonder how many people break up once they become short-distance.

Met my wife through an online dating site in 2012.  Wouldn't have met her at all pre-Internet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on June 16, 2023, 02:00:49 PM

^This.

The digital age has also enabled long-distance relationships to be viable.  Still, I wonder how many people break up once they become short-distance.

Met my wife through an online dating site in 2012.  Wouldn't have met her at all pre-Internet.

When we met, we lived more than 500 miles apart.  But within the year, she moved to be closer to me, which narrowed that distance to 10 miles.  She understood that the relationship couldn't continue long-distance, so she picked up and moved.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

I met my soon-to-be-ex-wife online in 2011 and have been doing online dating again since we separated at the beginning of the year.  Even online dating is different now than it was twelve years ago.  I keep thinking of my brother's mother-in-law, who met her husband in the 1970s and then started dating again after he passed in early 2018.  THAT has to be significantly different.

kalvado

Suicidality and mass shootings are spiking all over the country.

Please note: pre-2000 data is compressed on the graph.
If anything, I would associate the growth with certain administration (and another spike, not on the graph,  when that VP became POTUS) 

abefroman329

Quote from: kalvado on June 16, 2023, 02:54:05 PMI would associate the growth with certain administration (and another spike, not on the graph,  when that VP became POTUS)
So...certain administration is the Obama Administration?  If so, you didn't do a very good job of masking it, what with going on to specify that Certain Administration's VP went on to become President.

kalvado

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 16, 2023, 03:06:18 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 16, 2023, 02:54:05 PMI would associate the growth with certain administration (and another spike, not on the graph,  when that VP became POTUS)
So...certain administration is the Obama Administration?  If so, you didn't do a very good job of masking it, what with going on to specify that Certain Administration's VP went on to become President.
Throwing in some flamebait...  That's always fun. And I am not responsible for mentioning any names!  Maybe I was talking about Bush the First?

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

kalvado

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on June 16, 2023, 02:54:05 PM

If anything, I would associate the growth with certain administration (and another spike, not on the graph,  when that VP became POTUS) 

I'd be interested to see that graph for teenagers only.
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2023, 03:29:44 PM
Quote from: kalvado on June 16, 2023, 02:54:05 PM

I'd be interested to see that graph for teenagers only.

And later trend:

Growth at least slowed after administration change, and didn't go up despite covid

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on June 16, 2023, 12:55:39 PM

Sounds like this was written by ChatGPT.

U musty be nu here

Side note: why did they decide AI was going to make art and literature instead of cleaning bathrooms and toilets? If there's a reason to hate humans, that's a good starting conversation. Instead, AI will eventually make a really good argument why we shouldn't force it to do anything it doesn't want to, like a stubborn teenager that's about to head off to college.

kalvado

Quote from: formulanone on June 16, 2023, 03:48:03 PM
Side note: why did they decide AI was going to make art and literature instead of cleaning bathrooms and toilets?
Because pure CPU time is relatively cheap, and external devices - motors, manipulators - are expensive and relatively fragile.
THere is some hope, though:
https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Mapping-Capacity-Bagless-AV2501AE/dp/B08QZVSC8D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 16, 2023, 01:36:16 PM

I met my wife online in 2001 or 2002.  I have no idea if it was easier or harder, because I've never done the whole traditional dating thing.  I'm the only person she contacted on the site, and she's the only person who contacted me.

To be fair my previous three relationships which ranged from age 26-33 weren't borne from singles bars or clubs either.  One relationship began with someone who my renter, one was someone I was a peer trainer for at work and the other was via a car club.  The last time I received a phone number at a bar was when I was 28 and in between two relationships.  Even then she was a former co-worker that I ran into while watching the Stanley Cup finals.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 16, 2023, 04:49:03 PM

To be fair my previous three relationships which ranged from age 26-33 weren't borne from singles bars or clubs either.  One relationship began with someone who my renter, one was someone I was a peer trainer for at work and the other was via a car club.  The last time I received a phone number at a bar was when I was 28 and in between two relationships.  Even then she was a former co-worker that I ran into while watching the Stanley Cup finals.
Yeah, I've only gone on dates with women I've met (a) online or (b) through mutual friends.  I've never met a woman who was a complete stranger and asked for her #.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 16, 2023, 06:15:16 PM

Yeah, I've only gone on dates with women I've met (a) online or (b) through mutual friends.  I've never met a woman who was a complete stranger and asked for her #.

I did a fair amount of that with my older brother and mutual friends largely when I was 18-24.  Truth be told it took way too much effort and didn't really have much in the way of meaningful results in terms of originating meaningful relationships.  My brother met his wife at a nightclub when he was 30, so guess it worked better for him.

abefroman329

Ted$8roadFan

What's even more scary is that we now have one generation and counting who have always had technology in their lives, especially since smartphones essentially took over in 2012. They literally have never known life without a screen, so all of the consequences will get worse.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/25/1171773181/social-media-teens-mental-health

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 16, 2023, 06:24:52 PM

What's even more scary is that we now have one generation and counting who have always had technology in their lives, especially since smartphones essentially took over in 2012. They literally have never known life without a screen, so all of the consequences will get worse.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/25/1171773181/social-media-teens-mental-health

Lots of generations have had technology..

How quickly we forget the definition, but even then, the fact the older generations forget how addicted they were to TV is hypocrisy in its fullest.

Scott5114

See, I don't really want to go back to the time before the Internet. What I do want to go to is the time before everything you do on a computer was handled through the browser, because browsers waste so much processor and memory compared to locally-run applications. For example, I much prefer using standalone office software than Google Docs. Running software on your local machine also means it's much less likely that there will be an intrusive corporation peering in or placing restrictions on what you're doing, or worse, begging for money.

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 16, 2023, 06:15:16 PM

Online dating also solves the problem of there not being anyone in the immediate local area who you click with. Even if you limit it to your own metro area, it's possible there's someone who would be perfect for you who hangs out at the bar in the north suburbs and you hang out at one in the south suburbs. And, of course, it also solves the problem of finding people when your dating pool is restricted for some reason (perhaps because the people in your desired age group or gender are less common in your local area).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.