Who counts as a native of a particular place?

Started by index, July 01, 2023, 09:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 02, 2023, 08:27:22 PM
I was born in Lexington, Ky. Therefore, I am a native of Lexington even though I have never lived there and spent fewer than 30 nights there in my life.
Reminds me of my mother, who was born in WV, but her family moved back to near their hometowns in eastern KY.  She still considers herself a Kenutckian despite having lived in New England now for over 40 years -- the majority of her life by far.

Then again, there are old Yankees that would still not consider her native. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 02, 2023, 09:57:43 PM
I was born in Lexington, Ky. Therefore, I am a native of Lexington even though I have never lived there and spent fewer than 30 nights there in my life.

Did your family live in Lexington when you were born? Or just born in a Lexington hospital?

Born in a hospital. My family lived on the same patch of ground where I live now. But since I was born in Lexington, I'm a Lexington native. I'm not proud of that fact, and in reality I don't consider myself to be a Lexington native, but technically I am. My birth certificate says "Lexington" as my place of birth.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on July 03, 2023, 11:07:56 AM

Did your family live in Lexington when you were born? Or just born in a Lexington hospital?

Born in a hospital. My family lived on the same patch of ground where I live now. But since I was born in Lexington, I'm a Lexington native. I'm not proud of that fact, and in reality I don't consider myself to be a Lexington native, but technically I am. My birth certificate says "Lexington" as my place of birth.

Eh. I personally say you're a native of where you lived when you were born, not where the hospital was. I've never lived in Minneapolis, but the hospital I was delivered in is there. Doesn't mean I'm from, specifically, Minneapolis.

abefroman329

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 03, 2023, 03:38:29 PM

Eh. I personally say you're a native of where you lived when you were born, not where the hospital was. I've never lived in Minneapolis, but the hospital I was delivered in is there. Doesn't mean I'm from, specifically, Minneapolis.
Yeah, I've always said I'm a "Chicago native" despite being born in Downers Grove, and my soon-to-be-ex-wife doesn't consider herself to be from St. Louis just because she was born there.

Henry

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 03, 2023, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 03, 2023, 03:38:29 PM

Yeah, I've always said I'm a "Chicago native" despite being born in Downers Grove, and my soon-to-be-ex-wife doesn't consider herself to be from St. Louis just because she was born there.
The difference between you and me is, I was actually born in Chicago ("nineteen and seventy"), and spent my childhood there as well as its surrounding suburbs. My wife was born in Chula Vista, but still considers herself a San Diego native, because she lived there all of her life prior to meeting me. And then there's my daughter, who was born in Los Angeles, but has never had enough time to say she's from there (being only six when we moved to Seattle); in fact, she's developed a preference for the Seahawks and Mariners over the Rams and Dodgers, which we don't mind a bit, plus she's even taken interest in some of my Chicago teams as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bugo

Where did you live when you were a kid?

I was born in 1973 and grew up in Mena, Arkansas, and I lived there most of my life, so it's obviously where I'm native to. The hospital in Mena at the time was terrible, so when my sister was born in 1979, my parents decided to have her in the De Queen hospital. De Queen is about 50 miles from Mena. She only spent a couple of days in the hospital there and when they released her, she came to Mena with us. She grew up in Mena, and other than being born there she has no ties to De Queen. She's definitely a Mena native.

bugo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 01, 2023, 11:42:19 PM
I think it's wherever you feel at home. If you lived in X place for 25 years and it sucked, and have only lived in Y for a couple years but feel like you belong, that's your home.

I feel more at home in Tulsa than I do in Mena, but even though I have been here 16 years, I still consider myself an Arkansas native. When I go back to visit Mena, it feels foreign, alien and strange. It's not the same place where I grew up. I hate going there because it's changed so much. My family who lives down there lives in the country, so I don't have to go to Mena to visit, which is a good thing.

One thing that will never change is my support for the Arkansas Razorbacks. I've been in Oklahoma for a while, and I detest the Sooners and I always will. That's definitely something that I haven't picked up from being here.

bugo

Quote from: mgk920 on July 01, 2023, 01:17:29 PM
I am somewhat offended at the hijacking of the term 'Native American' as a way to describe those of aboriginal descent

One thing I've learned after over a decade and a half in Oklahoma is that the belief that the word "Indian" is offensive to indigenous Americans is a myth. It is true in some cases, but I live in Creek Nation and I know tons of Creeks and Cherokees, and a lot of them identify as "Indians". The Cherokee hospital in Claremore is universally known as the "Claremore Indian Hospital", and while I've heard many complaints about the hospital itself, I've never heard anybody who was offended by the name. I did meet a guy once who said "Native American" was offensive to him because when they came across the land bridge from modern day Russia, America as a country, a pair of continents or even a concept did not exist. He preferred "Indian" for this reason.

Another myth is that Native Americans are all highly offended by the Washington Redskins name and imagery. When I worked at a gas station in exurban Broken Arrow, I saw a ton of Natives come in wearing Redskins apparel. One day, a Native guy had a Redskins jacket on, and when I was checking him out, I asked him if he knew that they were going to eventually be forced into changing the name and imagery, just making small talk. His response was "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" verbatim. A lot of Natives identify with the mascot and imagery and consider it a badge of honor. I've mentioned this several times online on different forums, and I've been called a liar more than once. That's how powerful myths can be, even if they are not always true.

bugo

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2023, 09:07:38 AM
Then you have Texas, which claims anyone born there as a "Texas Native" and offers you a an "heirloom" certificate. In principle I don't disagree with the concept, but culturally, I definitely do not consider myself Texan since we moved away when I was one year old–I would consider myself Virginian in most ways.

Don't get me started on Texans. They have a weird type of state patriotism, and many of them consider themselves to be Texans first and Americans second. They also won't shut up about how great Texas is and how it's the most magical place on Earth. Everything is bigger in Texas, everything is better in Texas. I personally find Texas to be too shiny and polished and new. I prefer Oklahoma because it's rougher around the edges and grittier. Oklahomans are proud of their state, but not anywhere near to the extent that Texans are. Arkansans, on the other hand, tend to have the "poor little me" attitude and they don't have the state patriotism that some states do.

jgb191

Born in Corpus Christi, Texas and grew up in several small towns in South Texas including Mathis, Kingsville, Hebbronville, Ingleside, and now Robstown.

I have very little desire to move away from South Texas.  We have affordable cost of living, friendly people, laid-back culture, great food, and excellent year-round weather climate....one of the best in America, where you can enjoy the beach virtually any of the 365 days a year.  The only other places outside of my home area that I would jump at the chance of living are Orlando (FL) and Las Vegas (NV).

QuoteDon't get me started on Texans. They have a weird type of state patriotism, and many of them consider themselves to be Texans first and Americans second. They also won't shut up about how great Texas is and how it's the most magical place on Earth. Everything is bigger in Texas, everything is better in Texas.

I really don't know how to counterargue your point, so I'll just say that 'You're not wrong about us' and simply leave it at that.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

Do you root for the local sports teams? If you do than native. If not, not a native.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 05, 2023, 08:12:18 PM
Do you root for the local sports teams? If you do than native. If not, not a native.

Refer to my earlier comments.  I am a fan of the Detroit teams, but do not claim to be a Detroit native (at least not anymore).

Big John

if you turn to the dark side and root for the non-local Dallas Cowboys, what does that make you?

The Nature Boy

Isn't this all relative? Someone from Massachusetts could have family roots going back to the 1600s. I can trace my own Virginia ancestry to the first settler from the 1600s.

But unless they're indigenous, no one from Arizona can do that.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2023, 12:04:47 PM
Don't get me started on Texans. They have a weird type of state patriotism, and many of them consider themselves to be Texans first and Americans second. They also won't shut up about how great Texas is and how it's the most magical place on Earth. Everything is bigger in Texas, everything is better in Texas.

Having to put up with this constantly is among the worst things about living in Oklahoma. (And it's pervasive enough you can even find examples of it on this forum if you go looking–though not all Texans do it, of course.)

Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2023, 12:04:47 PM
Oklahomans are proud of their state, but not anywhere near to the extent that Texans are. Arkansans, on the other hand, tend to have the "poor little me" attitude and they don't have the state patriotism that some states do.

This is interesting because I think it might be one of the key differences between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. OKC has very much had an inferiority complex the whole time I've lived here. OKC desperately wants to be a respected peer city to Dallas especially, but also Kansas City and Denver. This is basically the whole reason behind the MAPS programs; MAPS 1 was a direct result of OKC getting turned down by a major airline for a maintenance center that ended up going to Indianapolis. We'll even ape Tulsa if they come up with something we don't have; nobody was all that interested in having a big downtown park until the Gathering Place was built, and then all of a sudden Scissortail Park popped up on the next MAPS ballot. (Which, don't get me wrong, is probably a good thing. Scissortail Park is pretty nice and I'm glad it exists now.)

In comparison, Tulsa seems like it's much happier to just be Tulsa and it doesn't really seem to care what Dallas or KC think of it.

Oklahoma pride takes a much different form than Texas pride does. Most everyone I know of is happy to tell you what they think sucks about Oklahoma–the governor, the government in general (ODOT and DHS in particular), the culture here, the weather (heat! humidity! wind!), the scenery, or any other thing that gets on their nerves about the place. But if you're from somewhere else, don't you dare poke fun at it. Oklahoma pride tends to latch on to weird, charming little quirks about the state, like Braum's, surviving the weather (we all know someone who proudly boasts that when a tornado is coming, they go out on the porch to watch), whichever lake is your favorite, the B.C. Clark Christmas commercials, or whatever.

I've done the calculus and decided that I'm fairly sure I don't want to spend the rest of my life living here, but I do have somewhat complicated feelings about it and there are a lot of little things I'll miss.

Quote from: jgb191 on July 05, 2023, 06:16:12 PM
The only other places outside of my home area that I would jump at the chance of living are Orlando (FL) and Las Vegas (NV).

What, you mean you wouldn't jump at the chance to live in Orlando (OK) or Las Vegas (NM)? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

That's utterly nonsensical. My wife–a naturalized US citizen born in Europe–grew up in Ohio but is a fan of some of the DC sports teams (Capitals and Nationals, and far below them the Commanders). That doesn't make her a Virginia native by any means. She moved here as an adult and didn't watch sports as a kid, whereas one of her brothers is a big Cincinnati Reds fan despite now living in the Southwest.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Not that simple.

I consider myself a Minnesota native. I still cheer for the Twins and Vikings. I finally switched allegiances and became a Nuggets fan instead of the Wolves since that franchise has been in disarray for decades. I was a North Stars fan before they moved to Dallas, but wasn't going to cheer for them once they ditched Minnesota. Then the Avs came after I already lived in Colorado. Never felt any attachment at all to the Wild.

Henry

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 05, 2023, 08:57:05 PM
Not that simple.

I consider myself a Minnesota native. I still cheer for the Twins and Vikings. I finally switched allegiances and became a Nuggets fan instead of the Wolves since that franchise has been in disarray for decades. I was a North Stars fan before they moved to Dallas, but wasn't going to cheer for them once they ditched Minnesota. Then the Avs came after I already lived in Colorado. Never felt any attachment at all to the Wild.
My brother Jeff would appreciate your Denver rooting interests, as he's also become a Broncos fan because of his frustration at the Bears' futility over the years.

As for Texans thinking they live in "the greatest state in America", they have some fierce competition from natives of California, Florida and New York. Despite living in the Golden State for 12 years, I've never gotten why it's so great, when wildfires, smog and earthquakes have ruined the experience for me.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 05, 2023, 08:38:19 PM

That's utterly nonsensical. My wife–a naturalized US citizen born in Europe–grew up in Ohio but is a fan of some of the DC sports teams (Capitals and Nationals, and far below them the Commanders). That doesn't make her a Virginia native by any means. She moved here as an adult and didn't watch sports as a kid, whereas one of her brothers is a big Cincinnati Reds fan despite now living in the Southwest.
BTW, my wife's parents still live in San Diego, and they still root for the Padres (as does she), but are now bitter over the Chargers' relocation to "evil" Los Angeles.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2023, 08:34:36 PM
This is interesting because I think it might be one of the key differences between Tulsa and Oklahoma City. OKC has very much had an inferiority complex the whole time I've lived here. OKC desperately wants to be a respected peer city to Dallas especially, but also Kansas City and Denver. This is basically the whole reason behind the MAPS programs; MAPS 1 was a direct result of OKC getting turned down by a major airline for a maintenance center that ended up going to Indianapolis. We'll even ape Tulsa if they come up with something we don't have; nobody was all that interested in having a big downtown park until the Gathering Place was built, and then all of a sudden Scissortail Park popped up on the next MAPS ballot. (Which, don't get me wrong, is probably a good thing. Scissortail Park is pretty nice and I'm glad it exists now.)

The Gathering Place was 100% privately funded. George Kaiser and QT paid for it.

In comparison, Tulsa seems like it's much happier to just be Tulsa and it doesn't really seem to care what Dallas or KC think of it.

Tulsa kind of does its own thing and isn't affected by peer pressure from other area cities. The pace of life is slower than in Dallas or Kansas City and it feels much more like a small town than Oklahoma City. It isn't trying to compete with those cities or to be more like those cities.

Oklahoma pride takes a much different form than Texas pride does. Most everyone I know of is happy to tell you what they think sucks about Oklahoma–the governor, the government in general (ODOT and DHS in particular), the culture here, the weather (heat! humidity! wind!), the scenery, or any other thing that gets on their nerves about the place. But if you're from somewhere else, don't you dare poke fun at it. Oklahoma pride tends to latch on to weird, charming little quirks about the state, like Braum's, surviving the weather (we all know someone who proudly boasts that when a tornado is coming, they go out on the porch to watch), whichever lake is your favorite, the B.C. Clark Christmas commercials, or whatever.

If they say "scenery" is one of the negatives about living in Okjlah, they haven't been to the right parts of the state.

One day back in 2015, I was sitting at home watching the radar when the sirens went off. Of course, I grabbed my camera and ran outside. I knew the cell wasn't headed towards me, so I wasn't worried about it, even though lightning was a threat. Several of my neighbors were outside looking at the sky. Outsiders might think that locals going outside when tornado sirens go off is just a joke, but it's true.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 05, 2023, 08:57:05 PM
Not that simple.

You are either a native, a non-native, or a bandwagon sports fan.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

I tried coming up with a more accurate comment and I couldn't. I'd say most of the time what I said is true but not all of the time.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2023, 10:30:18 PM
The Gathering Place was 100% privately funded. George Kaiser and QT paid for it.

Which is awesome. There isn't really a billionaire who gives back to OKC the same way George Kaiser does with Tulsa, though–about the closest thing we had was Aubrey McClendon of Chesapeake Energy, but he's not around anymore. And 7-Eleven, well, you know.

I do think that the public money OKC spent on Scissortail Park was well-spent, though. I've only been there twice so far, but it's clearly an asset to the city that will only grow in importance as OKC does.

If they say "scenery" is one of the negatives about living in Okjlah, they haven't been to the right parts of the state.

Either that, or they're too picky. I've gotten to where I can appreciate a nice view in Central or Western Oklahoma, but I get that they're not everyone's cup of tea.

One day back in 2015, I was sitting at home watching the radar when the sirens went off. Of course, I grabbed my camera and ran outside.

That's an awesome shot.

I will be happy to not have to worry about the sky trying to kill me every spring, but I will miss the regular thunderstorms. At least you can live stream most of the OKC stations when it's storming to get your fix of the mets getting themselves all in a tizzy.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 05, 2023, 11:06:09 PM

I tried coming up with a more accurate comment and I couldn't. I'd say most of the time what I said is true but not all of the time.

I don't know about "most of the time," either, unless we presume that your comment is limited to people who are interested in sports (there are definitely people who are not–my boss is one).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

I always considered one to be a "native" of the place they spent the most time between the ages of 0 and 18.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 06, 2023, 09:47:46 AM
I always considered one to be a "native" of the place they spent the most time between the ages of 0 and 18.

In my case my pre-18 year old life is so wildly different than post-18 year old life that I tend to just tell people I'm from Arizona instead of Michigan.  Most people I know tend to be surprised if they find out I'm originally from the Midwest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.