News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does anyone still watch live TV?

Started by PNWRoadgeek, July 28, 2023, 03:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dough4872

Some sports I like to watch live such as NFL. But other sports i like to watch on DVR such as NASCAR so I can fast forward through commercials.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on July 29, 2023, 09:32:47 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 29, 2023, 01:49:42 AM
It depends on what you mean by "live tv." Do you mean a program transmitted more or less at the same time it is being created? Or do you mean a program transmitted only at set scheduled times?

Live TV is generally meant as something that is currently being transmitted--the earliest you could possibly watch that program regardless of when it was created.

True, but that doesn't seem to be how some people are using it here, such as with Jeopardy, which is why I thought to point it out.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vdeane

"Live" as in antenna/cable/satellite channels.  Not necessarily "live" as in "these events are literally happening right now".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ted$8roadFan

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 29, 2023, 10:43:33 PM
It depends on what you mean by "live tv." Do you mean a program transmitted more or less at the same time it is being created? Or do you mean a program transmitted only at set scheduled times?

Live TV is generally meant as something that is currently being transmitted--the earliest you could possibly watch that program regardless of when it was created.

True, but that doesn't seem to be how some people are using it here, such as with Jeopardy, which is why I thought to point it out.

What I meant as to Jeopardy should have been utterly obvious to normal people, but it was more or less the following: It comes on Channel 7 at 7:30. We usually watch NBC Nightly News at 7:00. If we're done with dinner by 7:30, and if there is nothing else on we want to watch instead (such as a Caps game during hockey season), we will turn it to Jeopardy and watch that as it airs. If we haven't finished dinner, or if there's something else we want to watch then, we let the DVR pick up Jeopardy and we watch it later. Every normal person knows Jeopardy does not "air live" in the way sports do–it's recorded several weeks in advance, although they know when a given episode is scheduled to air when they record it. (And of course sometimes it winds up being preempted due to breaking news or severe weather alert coverage.)

I'm surprised certain people haven't tried to make a stink about the distinction between getting your TV service via a "cable replacement service" (YouTube TV, Sling, etc.–all of which are technically "streaming" but allow you to watch "live TV" in the sense of watching a program when it airs) versus getting it via an antenna, cable, or satellite dish.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mgk920

For me, watching anything on an outside programmed broadcast receiver is on the screens at a local sports bar.  The current reaction to the latest new technologies by SAG-AFTRA and the WGA is going to do it permanently for many others.

Mike

WillWeaverRVA

Sports and reality are generally the only things I watch live anymore. Everything else I watch on demand.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Roadrunner75

Despite having access to multiple streaming services beyond standard cable, I still mostly just watch regular "live" tv.   Force of habit.   Just putting on the news or a few other favorite channels is easier than trying to think of something I want to watch and then trying to find which service has it, with a few exceptions. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2023, 09:18:49 AM

What I meant as to Jeopardy should have been utterly obvious to normal people

My apologies for not fitting your definition of normal.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 30, 2023, 09:17:45 PM

What I meant as to Jeopardy should have been utterly obvious to normal people

My apologies for not fitting your definition of normal.
No one on this forum does.  No one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Since I don't have any streaming services where I can watch shows on demand, everything I watch is live.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

I do on occasion, especially in hotels or when I'm just throwing something on while working on something. Just the other night I watched live broadcast TV when the Plex device was having problems.

I've always enjoyed engineering a good antenna setup and pulling in broadcast TV, and still do it as a backup for internet outages and other problems.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kkt

I would need cable in order to get a signal, and cable was the first thing I pulled the plug on when the ex moved out.

triplemultiplex

I still watch plenty of what they call "appointment television".  Plenty of interesting things on PBS these days.  Various reruns on those OTA channels where half the ads are for scams.  And then of course live sports as others have mentioned.  If I feel like getting agitated, I'll watch a Sunday morning yak show.  Might catch some local news just to see what's up.  Then it's fun to do some armchair storm chasing when there's severe weather in my media market.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SP Cook

I'm surprised certain people haven't tried to make a stink about the distinction between getting your TV service via a "cable replacement service" (YouTube TV, Sling, etc.–all of which are technically "streaming" but allow you to watch "live TV" in the sense of watching a program when it airs) versus getting it via an antenna, cable, or satellite dish.

The consensus in the industry is going to be the term "paid linear television", which would mean a set of channels, distributed in the traditional linear manner.  This can be cable, satellite, or linear streaming such as DirecTV Stream, YouTube TV, Sling, etc.

Anyway, Nielsen covers this and the numbers are publicly available (Nielsen charges for a lot of stuff).  Total time spent watching non-linear streaming is about 40%.  Unfortunately, Nielsen divides "OTA" (NBC, CBS, etc) and "cable channels" (ESPN, USA, Discovery, etc) into two categories, each of which get about 30% which leads know-nothings to proclaim the "streaming is the most popular form of TV", but, of course, most people don't really care if a show or game is on ABC or on TBS, they are just different channel numbers in their cable (or satellite or alternative) package.

IMHO, this is about where this is going to stay.  No body is sitting around waiting for streaming to come to their town.  Those that want each service, have it.  Most people us it the way HBO used to be, a pay extra supplement to the standard channels.   The problem is none of these services, save only Netflix, makes a dime, and there really seems to be no path to profitability for them.  Many will go broke in the next few years.

As far as the question, I pretty much only watch sports.  Maybe 3-4 scripted dramas.  I really regret that these streaming services are picking up sports.  To get the sports that you used to watch on "cable" with just one bill, you now need every streaming service, except Netflix.  Very anti-consumer.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SP Cook on August 02, 2023, 01:04:15 PM
As far as the question, I pretty much only watch sports.  Maybe 3-4 scripted dramas.  I really regret that these streaming services are picking up sports.  To get the sports that you used to watch on "cable" with just one bill, you now need every streaming service, except Netflix.  Very anti-consumer.

But if you only want particular sports, you don't need every streaming service. For my sports, I use YouTube TV (which gets me the ESPNs, NBC Sports, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, TBS/TNT, etc.), Peacock (which comes free with my internet), and Paramount+ if I feel like watching Champions League. So I only really pay for YouTube TV and maybe for a couple months of the year an extra $5/mo for Paramount.

SP Cook

Baseball:  Must have the linear channels, including your local RSN which is only on DirecTV or cable now (not on DISH or YouTube TV); Apple, and Peacock.  In market New York Yankee fans also must have Amazon.   
Pro Football: Must have linear channels, Peacock, and Amazon. 
Soccer: Must have linear channels, Apple, Peacock, Paramount Plus, ESPN+, Amazon.
College football:  Appears the Pac 12 will be on Apple.  Also must have ESPN+, Peacock, and the linear channels.
College basketball: Same.
Golf: Must have linear channels, and ESPN+.
Indy Car: Must have linear channels, plus Peacock.
NASCAR:  Is almost certain to sell 6-8 races to Apple in next deal.

To watch the same sports you used to get for one bill, you must have every service, except Netflix.  Very anti-consumer.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SP Cook on August 02, 2023, 02:02:41 PM
Soccer: Must have linear channels, Apple, Peacock, Paramount Plus, ESPN+, Amazon.

I won't comment on all of them, but I probably watch more soccer than any poster on this forum. You're never going to be able to watch every single league. As a Premier League fan, the networks I mentioned are plenty. If you want to watch the Turkish Super Lig or Dutch Eredivisie and you're grumpy that you have to pay for special streaming, I don't know what to tell you.

Roadgeekteen

exclusively sports and election coverage.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on August 02, 2023, 01:04:15 PM

The consensus in the industry is going to be the term "paid linear television", which would mean a set of channels, distributed in the traditional linear manner.  This can be cable, satellite, or linear streaming such as DirecTV Stream, YouTube TV, Sling, etc.

... .

My comment was more meant as a reference to certain exceptionally hypertechnical members of this forum.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JKRhodes

It's a novelty we enjoy whenever we stay in hotels, but we don't have any sort of live TV service at home; by and large it's just streaming services for entertainment and social media for news.

Henry

Only for news, sports and game shows. Everything else is now on-demand.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Sctvhound

Basically just sports, news programming and the occasional Price is Right, Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune for me. My parents watch more than that, but mostly HGTV or Food Network specifically.

MauriceRobbins

Only sports matches. Nothing more

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.