News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

For a long time poster, gribblenation, condolences. RIP Johnny Hardwick

Started by OCGuy81, August 11, 2023, 08:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Best known as the voice of Dale Gribble on King of the Hill.

Johnny Hardwick, the voice actor, comedian and producer best known for playing Dale Gribble on the long-running Fox animated comedy "King of the Hill,"  has died, the show's producers announced.

He was 64. A cause of death was not given.

"Johnny Hardwick was an incredibly beloved member of the 'King of the Hill' family, whose tremendous talent, brilliant humor and friendship will be deeply missed by all who were fortunate enough to work with him over the past 25 years,"  20th Television Animation and Hulu said in a statement.

"Our deepest condolences go out to his friends and family as we mourn the loss of one of the animation greats. His voice gave life to one of our most iconic characters, and he will be truly missed."

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/johnny-hardwick-voice-dale-gribble-king-hill-dies-64-rcna99318

triplemultiplex

Dang.  Heard about this late yesterday and yeah that sucks.  Can't picture anyone else's voice coming out of Dale.  What made that character great is he always came off sincere, even when he's rambling about whatever conspiracy theory.  I just thought it was quite genius to have this character who is always looking for the hidden angle on what's "really" going on, but is completely oblivious to his wife's infidelity and the fact that his son obviously isn't his.
Pour one out for Rusty Shackleford while we're at it. ;)

They were trying to reboot King of the Hill for next year, but this throws yet another wrench into the plan on top of the strikes and whatnot.  We've already lost the voices of Luanne and Lucky since the show went off the air, but at least they weren't core characters like Dale.  And right now, the idea of recasting is not palatable to me.  I hate it when cartoons do that.  It's one thing if you're rebooting the show and ALL the voices are different, but if only a couple are, it hits the ear wrong.  It's bothered me my whole life.  Mel Blanc has been dead for decades, but if anyone but him tries to voice Bugs Bunny, I notice it.  Been like that since I was a kid.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Duke87

Should be noted that Gribblenation is not named after Dale Gribble, them having a common name is a coincidence.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Duke87 on August 11, 2023, 01:57:07 PM
Should be noted that Gribblenation is not named after Dale Gribble, them having a common name is a coincidence.

Adam and Doug touched on the origin of the "Gribblenation"  name in our 20th Anniversary Podcast.  The short version of the story is that it was a reference to someone they both knew and the name ultimately ended up sticking.  Amusingly there are several people with the last name "Gribblen"  which follow our Facebook page.

Takumi

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 11, 2023, 08:50:25 AM
Best known as the voice of Dale Gribble on King of the Hill.

Johnny Hardwick, the voice actor, comedian and producer best known for playing Dale Gribble on the long-running Fox animated comedy "King of the Hill,"  has died, the show's producers announced.

...or has he?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 11, 2023, 10:13:06 AM
Dang.  Heard about this late yesterday and yeah that sucks.  Can't picture anyone else's voice coming out of Dale.  What made that character great is he always came off sincere, even when he's rambling about whatever conspiracy theory.  I just thought it was quite genius to have this character who is always looking for the hidden angle on what's "really" going on, but is completely oblivious to his wife's infidelity and the fact that his son obviously isn't his.
Pour one out for Rusty Shackleford while we're at it. ;)

They were trying to reboot King of the Hill for next year, but this throws yet another wrench into the plan on top of the strikes and whatnot.  We've already lost the voices of Luanne and Lucky since the show went off the air, but at least they weren't core characters like Dale.  And right now, the idea of recasting is not palatable to me.  I hate it when cartoons do that.  It's one thing if you're rebooting the show and ALL the voices are different, but if only a couple are, it hits the ear wrong.  It's bothered me my whole life.  Mel Blanc has been dead for decades, but if anyone but him tries to voice Bugs Bunny, I notice it.  Been like that since I was a kid.
At least he recorded several episodes before he passed. Perhaps Hulu will add a tribute to him for this season, and it's possible that the series will write out Dale eventually.

RIP Brittany Murphy, Tom Petty and Johnny Hardwick
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.