News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arby's to purchase Subway

Started by roadman65, August 25, 2023, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The private equity firm specializes in franchised businesses and owns multiple restaurant chains, including Arby's, Dunkin' and Buffalo Wild Wings is rumored to buy Subway.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/subway-sale-roark-capital-arbys-dunkin-sonic/

Edit: Strong possibility.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Ted$8roadFan

Max Rockatansky

So in other words "Roark Capital to purchase Subway?"   A better question is why do all these equity firms have the most boring and generic sounding names?  "We have the Capital"  or "Time to make the Capital"  would be way more interesting.

GaryV

Cerberus (one time owner of Chrysler) had a unique name. Why they named the company after the three-headed dog of the underworld remains a mystery. I suppose it could be worse, it could have been "Fluffy".

jeffandnicole

The subject heading is incorrect.  Arby's isn't buying Subway.  An Equity firm that owns Arby's is also looking to own Subway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on August 25, 2023, 06:48:43 PM
Cerberus (one time owner of Chrysler) had a unique name. Why they named the company after the three-headed dog of the underworld remains a mystery. I suppose it could be worse, it could have been "Fluffy".

Missed opportunity to call it "Midgard Serpent Equity."

kendancy66

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 25, 2023, 05:48:22 PM
So in other words "Roark Capital to purchase Subway?"   A better question is why do all these equity firms have the most boring and generic sounding names?  "We have the Capital"  or "Time to make the Capital"  would be way more interesting.
What about "Leopards Eating Your Face Capital"? (brought to you by the political party of the same name) Their slogan could be We didn't expect Leopards Eating Your Face Capital to take over OUR COMPANY

Max Rockatansky

I like it, sounds perfect for a good ole fashioned hostile takeover.

SectorZ

Roark Capital, which has $37 billion under management, specializes in franchised businesses and owns multiple restaurant chains. Its brands include Arby's, Baskin-Robbins, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dunkin', Jimmy John's and Sonic.

Everyone one of these places is worse off now than a decade ago from a quality-standpoint.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: SectorZ on August 26, 2023, 08:06:02 AM
Roark Capital, which has $37 billion under management, specializes in franchised businesses and owns multiple restaurant chains. Its brands include Arby's, Baskin-Robbins, Buffalo Wild Wings, Dunkin', Jimmy John's and Sonic.

Everyone one of these places is worse off now than a decade ago from a quality-standpoint.

For at least a couple of those, "worse off" would be difficult to achieve.

Jim

Other than Dunkin, which seems to dominate, it's at best a B-list of franchises.

I felt like Subway really lost its way but the location closest to my office seems to be doing well, good people, decent quality, definitely a little more affordable than my preferred sandwich chain, Jersey Mike's.  I was only at a Jimmy John's a couple times.  Fast?  Yes.  Good sandwich? No.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Big John

Last time I went into an Arby's, they took the sliced meat out of a warming tray instead of slicing it to order.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Jim on August 26, 2023, 08:20:42 AM
I was only at a Jimmy John's a couple times.  Fast?  Yes.  Good sandwich? No.

Try it again after 10 beers. :P
JJ's tastes amazing during one's stagger home after a night on the town.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

After 10 beers, most anything tastes amazing. (Ask anyone in Norman how Pizza Shuttle stays in business...although ironically their sandwiches are excellent, unlike their cardboard-esque pizza.)

Best sandwich chain is Port of Subs, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Subway is fine if you are on the road and want a somewhat healthy basic sandwich. 

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2023, 02:17:35 PM
Subway is fine if you are on the road and want a somewhat healthy basic sandwich.
My impression was that subway went from true chicken breast chunks to some sort of reprocessed stuff.
And I heard more than once that Subway franchise owners relations with headquarters are as bad as they can get...

Max Rockatansky

At the end of the day Subway is fast food.  Processed foods just are part of the game no matter what.  It's like when people were complaining a decade or so back about dark meat McNuggets.  It was lower cost cut of the chicken and of course it made the item more profitable (tastier also IMO).  I'm not sure what expectations were being held for fast food white meat nuggets.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 28, 2023, 03:46:14 PM
At the end of the day Subway is fast food.  Processed foods just are part of the game no matter what.  It's like when people were complaining a decade or so back about dark meat McNuggets.  It was lower cost cut of the chicken and of course it made the item more profitable (tastier also IMO).  I'm not sure what expectations were being held for fast food white meat nuggets.
It's an interesting point - what is to be expected quality-wise?  When so-so quality is just about taste,  when it becomes not-so-healthy, and when escalates to a health hazard, or at least stomach issue?
Ideally, all standards should be upheld at any food establishments and food may not be great but should be safe. Realistically, I certainly had to make emergency stops after eating at some places on the road. Cheapening on ingredients may - or may not - be an indication... 

Max Rockatansky

Personally I've found that I have rarely become ill from major fast chains.  The food usually is cooked (IMO overcooked) in a standardized manner.  I've found myself becoming ill numerous times from local places or random holes in the wall.  Personally I'm usually willing to chance a non-chain restaurant to get something tastier or more unique than fast food.

Evan_Th

Quote from: GaryV on August 25, 2023, 06:48:43 PM

How about the translation of Cerberus's name:  "Spot."

JoePCool14

Quote from: Jim on August 26, 2023, 08:20:42 AM
I was only at a Jimmy John's a couple times.  Fast?  Yes.  Good sandwich? No.

I've gotten sandwiches from JJ's multiple times and I've had good experiences with them in terms of taste and usually speed as well. The Italian Night Club is where it's at in my opinion.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

bandit957

Antitrust regulators need to put a stop to this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Why?  The assortment of brands hardly is a monopoly.

JoePCool14

It's something to keep an eye on, particularly in the lunch sandwich space. Two brands doesn't make total control in that industry, but should they try to buy another one, that might need to be blocked.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.