News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sad day in Margaritaville

Started by Big John, September 02, 2023, 07:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Ted$8roadFan

1995hoo

Labor Day Weekend feels almost eerily appropriate given how people consider it the end of summer.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

I've been at a few of his concerts over the years at (Name Changes Monthly) Center in Camden, NJ.  Great tailgates; great show.  Also been to the Cheeseburger in Paradise restaurant that he lent the song's name to in Newark DE, and at the Cheeseburger in Paradise that he didn't lend his name to, but allowed them to continue using it, in Lahaina, Maui, which was destroyed in the fires a few weeks ago.

signalman

I guess he ate his last mango in Paris 😐

gonealookin

What a great songwriting legacy he leaves behind.  On some mind-numbing drive across the West I often flip over to Radio Margaritaville for a few of his sing-alongs.

mgk920

How many will be using this as a reason to go roadtripping to the south end of US 1?

Mike

ErmineNotyours

I was thinking of him as I was looking through my pictures of Lahania after the fire, and I saw a picture of a Cheeseburger In Paradise.  I didn't eat there, eating breakfast instead at an independent place with sparrows hopping around on the floor.  https://goo.gl/maps/xSR3TEUBgJWsZrxQA

Ted$8roadFan

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 04, 2023, 01:47:40 AM
I was thinking of him as I was looking through my pictures of Lahania after the fire, and I saw a picture of a Cheeseburger In Paradise.  I didn't eat there, eating breakfast instead at an independent place with sparrows hopping around on the floor.  https://goo.gl/maps/xSR3TEUBgJWsZrxQA

This Cheeseburger in Paradise *is* independent (ok, was, until it burned down). It was one of two locations started by 2 women, the other location being in Waikiki. It opened in 1989. In the 1990s Jimmy Buffett sued the owners over the name, but ultimately allowed them to keep the name. The Waikiki location remains open.

The Cheeseburger In Paradise chain that was owned by Buffett didn't open until 2002. He had since divested his interest in the chain and all of its locations are now closed.

roadman65

In another thread, we talk about how inappropriate Pascagoula, MS is for a control city in AL west of Mobile. According to his biography, he was born there and moved later to the Mobile area.

An abeit tribute by ALDOTs part lol!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on September 04, 2023, 10:19:41 AM

An abeit tribute by ALDOTs part lol!

Curious what that was meant to say. "abeit"?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

To borrow a quote from Margaritaville:

"Some people claimed that there was a woman to blame, but we know it was his own damn fault."

RIP Jimmy Buffet
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.