News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2012 NASCAR Season

Started by Takumi, February 17, 2012, 04:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Well, the Bud Shootout isn't until tomorrow night, and the Daytona 500 a week away, but things are already starting to get interesting. Jimmie Johnson's car for the 500 failed initial inspection today.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

He won the last 500 he failed inspection for(though that was in qualifying and he did not have Knaus) so I almost expect him to win.  :banghead:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

He probably will, even though I loathe Jimmie Johnson

mgk920

They didn't have the sound up at the sports bar when I was there for lunch yesterday (Friday), but I noted that ESPN was discussing some interesting tech rule changes for this season (at least for Daytona), relating to discouraging drafting, such as a 60% reduction in the fluid capacity of radiators and about a 12-13% reduction in the cross section of the front radiator openings in the car bodies, along with other changes.

(I was not much of a fan of the 'two car' drafts that we've been seeing since the 'cars of the future' were mandated.)

Any thoughts on this?

:hmmm:

Mike

Takumi

Agreed, I hated the tandem thing as well. Pack racing is more entertaining for some reason.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeek Adam

Not uncommon that Knaus has been busted for parts questions before. It's expected that the Tuesday after the 500 will come penalties. But I'm fine with either kind of driving, even after watching this sport for nearly 17 years, I don't go crazy about it.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Takumi

I'm not a fan of Kyle Busch due to his attitude, but I do respect his driving ability, and those saves he made last night reaffirmed that.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Daytona 500 was postponed until noon tomorrow due to rain.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: Takumi on February 26, 2012, 05:27:20 PM
Daytona 500 was postponed until noon tomorrow due to rain.

I've seen fire and I've seen rain ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

That was the strangest Daytona 500 I've ever seen. Maybe even the strangest race overall.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PAHighways

With all of the wrecks taking place, I figured there was a good chance the race would end like this:

route56

(For the record, Jimmie wrecked on lap 1)

Anyone want to comment on the Penalties handed down on the 48 team from NASCAR?
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Takumi

If it wasn't Knaus, it wouldn't have been as big as it was. Just my opinion.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SP Cook

Quote from: route56 on March 04, 2012, 09:45:14 AM
Anyone want to comment on the Penalties handed down on the 48 team from NASCAR?

Not sufficient.  This team get caught cheating regularly.  Obviously making the figurehead crew chief stay away from the track is not sufficient to end this practice.  The CAR needs to be parked for a month. 

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

FLRoads

Wow, there is some justice in this world after all!

They do, however, have one more plea up their sleeve as it now goes up to the chief appellate officer. Chances are the penalties will be upheld.

signalman

I hope so.  They certainly deserve the penalties. 

Takumi

Those penalties? Yeah, never mind.

http://www.nascar.com/news/120320/cknaus-jjohnson-penalties-rescinded/

ESPN also confirmed this. I'm shocked.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

FLRoads

Wow. Everything rescinded (other than the $100,000 fine, which is chump change for Knaus). It's just like the incident never happened.

All this tells me is that NASCAR officials are the same as they have always been in showing favoritism, and that Ol' Five-Timer is still one of NASCAR's golden boys and that he and his team can get away with almost anything.  :banghead:

rickmastfan67

Complete bull$hit with this.

Knaus is a KNOWN cheater.

This just makes me more pissed over what happened to Carl Long who isn't a known cheater and got sold the barely over-sized engine....... :banghead:

rawmustard

I think the crux of the argument was that 20 other cars which were found to have violations were allowed to be fixed without penalty, while the #48 was pulled out of line for tech inspection (which means it wasn't even measured) and sanctioned points without even taking a lap. What's curious is the fine and probation were allowed to stand, even though the evidence suggests the C posts were never altered since last season and they were legal then.

CanesFan27

I went to my first NASCAR Race since 1999 earlier this month.

Photos from the Goody's 500 in Martinsville, VA
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/sets/72157629390468760/

texaskdog

My girlfriend was very pissed that Gordon or Johnson were going to win.  I said "maybe they'll crash into each other".  She said that would never happen. 

I've watched 2 races with her.  The first time, Johnson's car crashed.  Apparently I'm good luck to her.

mgk920

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 11, 2012, 10:30:34 AM

Looks like a great time!

Too bad you didn't catch any Norfolk Southern trains going by the track during the race.

Mike

rawmustard

Quote from: mgk920 on April 11, 2012, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 11, 2012, 10:30:34 AM

Looks like a great time!

Too bad you didn't catch any Norfolk Southern trains going by the track during the race.

Mike

He didn't have the vantage point as he was shooting from Turn 2 (the railroad being to his back). I do recall a train going by during the telecast.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.