News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Altered, Repurposed, Recycled, Reused

Started by vtk, July 16, 2012, 12:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Found this guy over at Ditto Marina here in Huntsville recently. It used to say "Pavillion [sic] and Administration Offices".
Pavillion by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

SignGeek101

I didn't notice that this shield is reused.

http://goo.gl/maps/mPjlK

Looks like '55' in white is under it. There is no highway 55 near here, not to mention it's in series E.

I guess it could be an old 'Night Speed Limit' sign?

JoePCool14

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 03, 2015, 06:31:36 PM

Looks like '55' in white is under it. There is no highway 55 near here, not to mention it's in series E.

That was what I thought. There isn't anything else that would fit there.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

SignGeek101

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 03, 2015, 07:09:10 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 03, 2015, 06:31:36 PM

That was what I thought. There isn't anything else that would fit there.

It's always interesting to note how state / provincial agencies are able to trade shields to each other. Really wish this one lasted longer; it's one of the only American shields in the entire province. In 2009, it looked good. Not sure what caused it to deteriorate so badly in 5 years.

mrfoxboy

So many things wrong with this one:
1. It's so worn out I can barely tell the sign.
2. It is on a side street that never really seen insane amounts of traffic (though there are a few streets to the west of Cameron that cannot access this road, but the traffic is again insignificant.)
3. The wonky right-turn arrow. This should not be on an angle, this street has always been at this angle.
4. This sign has been out of date for 31 years! New Brunswick reclassified it's highways in 1984, and old Route 6 is now 106. The border is the wrong colour now too, it should now be blue (Collector) and not green (Arterial)
http://goo.gl/maps/81Mkk

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Mr. Matté on July 18, 2012, 10:15:24 PM
Speaking of CRs in the 500s,

To quote myself and bump a months-old thread, my home county is still doing this charade of reusing county route shields, but now to make them fully retroreflective, they're just putting the reflective sheet over the existing old shield.

I sharpened the pics as much as I could but you might be able to faintly see an outline of a FHWA B-sized "6" on both and a "3" on the second pic.
(EDIT: And looking at this again, the arrow on 546's assembly was formerly an upside-down "JCT")

hbelkins

Kentucky has reused guide signs in the past by putting up new sheeting over the old sheeting. Examples are on I-64 between Lexington and Frankfort, and all the remaining old signs on the Mountain Parkway. The demountable copy was removed and new Virginia- or New York- or North Carolina-like panels were placed on top of the existing extruded-panel signs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: hbelkins on November 16, 2015, 03:51:01 PM
Kentucky has reused guide signs in the past by putting up new sheeting over the old sheeting. Examples are on I-64 between Lexington and Frankfort, and all the remaining old signs on the Mountain Parkway. The demountable copy was removed and new Virginia- or New York- or North Carolina-like panels were placed on top of the existing extruded-panel signs.

Here in Arizona I have also seen a few incremental panels overlaid on extruded panel signs.  They are especially common at exit gore signs.

Pink Jazz

Considering that logo signs will be installed in the Tucson area starting next month, this brings up an interesting point.  Currently, the I-10 and Tangerine exit in Marana does not have logo signs, but has a large text sign with the word "CAMPING" in the center.  It appears that sign can easily be repurposed into a logo sign by covering the text in the center with blueout and riveting on a logo and a "CAMPING" plaque on the top of the sign (assuming the campground at that exit signs up).

Here is one of the signs I am talking about:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.4355362,-111.1793981,3a,75y,150.74h,65.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srdyJBorH-DhaV9wiKN-eBA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

freebrickproductions

Here's a couple of reused signs from Cullman, AL.
If you look closely, you can make out the "45" that used to be on this speed limit sign:
School Speed Limit 15 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

This one's somewhat obvious:
No Thru Traffic by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Billy F 1988

Kill that godawful font on that school speed limit sign with fire!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

hbelkins

This US 60 sign is in Winchester, Ky. It definitely dates back to the early 1970s, before the inception of reflective sheeting. A decade ago, it wasn't faded like this, but now that it is, it shows what it was in a previous life.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on April 12, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
Near Grandview, MO

There seems to be about 5-7 layers on that sign. Or just a lot of errors.

jeffandnicole

Probably the construction firm's sign, so they just keep reusing it everytime they have a new project to work on.

Mapmikey

This was located between Damascus and Glade Spring on a bypassed portion of VA 91 at what was once VA 80.  This is gone now...

May 2007

peterj920

vtk

A waterfront rest area? Where's that?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

peterj920

Quote from: vtk on June 01, 2016, 11:20:03 PM
A waterfront rest area? Where's that?

Along Wis 42 at Lake Michigan in Manitowoc, WI.

vtk

Temporarily repurposed:

I believe that's a R4-5 being misused just for its first line of legend.  However, I can't seem to find a sign code for the "trucks no right turn" unisign I've seen elsewhere, or even a simple "trucks" plaque to place above a normal "no right turn sign".  Those being less common, this substitution by a contractor for a temporary situation is understandable.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mwb1848

This is the back of a gated-off storage area in an industrial yard in El Paso. It was created using some old BGS's and a few shipping containers. Notice, the BGS's include button copy, FHWA, and Clearview.

hbelkins

Some Kentucky examples...

(See the "Named routes/shields" thread for an explanation.)

No longer standing in Grayson, Ky.

Near Central City, Ky. No clue if it's still standing or not.

Bourbon County, Ky. This is gone now.

machias

Quote from: hbelkins on November 16, 2015, 03:51:01 PM

Hasn't Virginia done that quite a bit, especially along I-81?

opspe

https://goo.gl/maps/gq5xuFspKwP2

If you look closely, you can see the "17" is overlaid on a "28".  Don't have any actual pictures of this though, unfortunately.

Jim

Looks like this one on Massachusetts 8A in Heath has a patch to show the left turn junction at the upcoming corner.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.