DC Transportation Camp and TRB Mini Meet

Started by Laura, January 02, 2020, 10:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

Hi all, who is planning on attending DC Transportation Camp (Saturday, January 11) and/or the Transportation Research Board (TRB) Annual Meeting (January 12-16) this year? Or will just be in the area and want to meet up? Mike, Rainee, and I will be at DC Transportation Camp that Saturday but also have some flexibility to meet up that Sunday and maybe could pull off something Friday or Monday nights if Saturday doesn't work for others.

Rothman

Nope.  I believe NYSDOT stopped sponsoring TRB trips for a lot of employees some years ago (about six?).  What I heard was that it was determined that the value of the information at the conference was outweighed by the cost. 

Some employees paid their own way to go; not sure of they still do (one that I knew of retired recently).

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Laura

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2020, 10:54:30 AM
Nope.  I believe NYSDOT stopped sponsoring TRB trips for a lot of employees some years ago (about six?).  What I heard was that it was determined that the value of the information at the conference was outweighed by the cost. 

Some employees paid their own way to go; not sure of they still do (one that I knew of retired recently).

(personal opinion emphasized)

All state employees can go to TRB for free, but yes, you'd still have to pay for your food, lodging, transportation, etc. (For serious, if anyone would like to stay with us at any point, whether for TRB or any other reason, we are happy to host you!)

Yeah, the cost is why I haven't been since 2018. When I was a state employee and student I could go for free or get scholarships to go. My employer has the same reason as yours for not paying for me to go as a young professional, and it's not in my budget at this time to pay the admission even though I live so close and could get away with food and transportation pretty inexpensively. But, there's still transpocamp, which is only $53 if you happen to live here or be here for TRB! (which is a much more agreeable price to my employer!)

cl94

I'm lecturing at TRB and presenting a couple of posters, so I will definitely be there. Flying in next Saturday, out Thursday.

If people wanted to meet up Saturday night (or virtually any other night I'm in town minus Monday), I'd be down.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Laura

oscar

I'm not attending the events. But I should be available for dinner on Saturday, or any other evening through Tuesday the 14th (conflicts starting on the 15th).

My ISP can'r connect to the forum right now, so I'm using a workaround. E-mail works better for now.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cl94

Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2020, 07:13:30 PM
My ISP can'r connect to the forum right now, so I'm using a workaround. E-mail works better for now.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who can't get on AARoads normally. Is Spectrum your ISP?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2020, 07:17:15 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 06, 2020, 07:13:30 PM

Nice to see I'm not the only one who can't get on AARoads normally. Is Spectrum your ISP?

The forum briefly went down for me earlier this evening. We have Verizon FIOS.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

Had a similar issue, changing the DNS did the trick.

oscar

Quote from: cl94 on January 06, 2020, 07:17:15 PM

Nope. Comcast.

The site is now working normally for me.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

^ From what I've seen this past week, it isn't your ISP providers, it's the forum server.

As to the OP, I'm unable to come down this year, much as I had wanted to.

vdeane

Last night's outage was the DNS server.  I had to change my DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 (instead of Verizon's default DNS server) in order to get access to the forum back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Laura

Quote from: froggie on January 07, 2020, 01:23:27 PM
^ From what I've seen this past week, it isn't your ISP providers, it's the forum server.

As to the OP, I'm unable to come down this year, much as I had wanted to.

Aww, I was hoping I would get to see you this year! :(

1995hoo

The forum didn't load for me at all today on my PC or my iPhone, but once I finished work I tried my iPad and it loaded right up. Weird. The devices are all on the same network through the same router. I'll have to go try my phone again.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Laura

Hi friends! We are meeting Saturday evening sometime after 5:45 at Brookland Pint, 716 Monroe St NE, Washington, DC 20017. This is right near Catholic University and the Brookland-CUA metro stop. Need to square up the time, will let you all know ASAP. My cell is 443-417-0584 if you want to get a hold of me at any time.

Edit to add: 6 pm

Alps

Quote from: Laura on January 10, 2020, 08:53:36 AM
Hi friends! We are meeting Saturday evening sometime after 5:45 at Brookland Pint, 716 Monroe St NE, Washington, DC 20017. This is right near Catholic University and the Brookland-CUA metro stop. Need to square up the time, will let you all know ASAP. My cell is 443-417-0584 if you want to get a hold of me at any time.

Edit to add: 6 pm
Did you say Cat-holic?

froggie

Laura:  I see you're joining up with the TransitNerdHerd...😉

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.