News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What browser do you use?

Started by bugo, July 05, 2010, 08:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following browsers do you use the most?

Microsoft Internet Explorer
4 (8.9%)
Mozilla Firefox
28 (62.2%)
Google Chrome
10 (22.2%)
Opera
1 (2.2%)
Safari
2 (4.4%)
other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

bugo

What browser do you use?  I always use Firefox.

Added Safari - popular enough.  Assuming the only "Other" was a Safari vote. - MSon

corco

I'm firefoxing mostly, but I'm slowly transitioning myself over to Chrome because it seems to work better and uses way less RAM. I already use it to stream videos, but I'm still not used to it for general browsing

TheStranger

Google Chrome is the one browser that doesn't hog resources on my seven-year old PC...
Chris Sampang

allniter89

Firefox for years now! I've tried the others FF works best for me! Yesterday I HAD to use IE to do ??something?? :hmmm: and the slownwess of IE was unbearable  :banghead: :sleep: :-( X-( :no: :-o!!! Actually I think I cancelled ?whatever? I had to use IE for and gave up.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

rickmastfan67

Depends on what I'm doing.  Some sites work better for me in IE than FF and vise-versa.  For me, OSM editing seems to work better in IE than FF.  And I have two Gmail accounts, so I keep one logged in on IE and the other in FF.  So, it's a wash for me.  But I do most of my downloading in FF because I like their system better.  And I save pictures in IE.  I know, I'm crazy. :sombrero:

yanksfan6129

Safari. How could you not include that option for Mac users?

How could we miss that - I assume you're the only Other - so I added it in that place - MSon

bugo

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 05, 2010, 09:11:33 PM

Mac users don't count  :poke:.

KEK Inc.

Firefox 3.6.6 with a mock-up theme to look like Firefox 4.0.  I understand beta 2 is out for Firefox 4.0 from the mozilla nightly builds, but it's still labeled as Minefield.  I'll wait until the public beta is out.   

Take the road less traveled.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 05, 2010, 09:59:55 PM
I understand beta 2 is out for Firefox 4.0 from the mozilla nightly builds, but it's still labeled as Minefield.

It's more like Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 Build #2. ;)

cu2010

Google Chrome, switched about seven months ago. Used Firefox for about 3 1/2 years, but switched full-time to Chrome because I find Chrome much faster and less buggy, not to mention I like the interface much better.  I still use Firefox as a secondary browser on the rare occasion that Chrome doesn't like a page I'm trying to browse.

I only use Exploder when it's the only browser installed on a computer I'm trying to use (which is very few...even all of my school's computers had Firefox and Chrome installed on them).
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

SSOWorld

Firefox unless an entity (such as an employer) specifies I must use Exploder.  Also I use IE View to connect to sites that are only compatible to Explorer (God forbid these sites' owners need to wake the hell up (Including Microsoft).  Adblock Plus is a very powerful add-on to Firefox.  AFAIK the others do not stand up to that (esp Exploder and Opera.)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Duke87

Been using Firefox for a while now. No complaints other than that it's a bit of a resource hog.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

BigMattFromTexas

I use Google Chrome. It's a lot faster than Internet Explorer, I haven't tried FireFox, I'm not gonna try it, cause my sister uses it, and listen to her for long enough, it makes the browser sound horrible. So I'll stick to Chrome for now....
BigMatt

KEK Inc.

Quote from: BigMatt on July 06, 2010, 12:28:32 AM
I use Google Chrome. It's a lot faster than Internet Explorer, I haven't tried FireFox, I'm not gonna try it, cause my sister uses it, and listen to her for long enough, it makes the browser sound horrible. So I'll stick to Chrome for now....
BigMatt

Unless you use addons, Google Chrome is actually faster than Firefox in every way. 
Take the road less traveled.

joseph1723

I been using Firefox for a few years now. I use a theme on mine to make it look like the older 1.5 theme and run Adblock plus to get rid of those pesky flash ads 

I only use explorer only when I'm using a computer that doesn't have any other browser on it or if it forbids me from installing Firefox

J N Winkler

I chose Firefox because that is my primary browser, but actually I use Internet Explorer and Opera as well.  I use IE with PennDOT's ECMS because the drop menus don't work properly in Firefox, though the links do work, and I also need IE to launch MaxView to download electronic plans from Nebraska DOR (they used to allow read and list access to the actual plans directories, but they withdrew that a few years ago, so unless I am on a slow or high-latency Internet connection, it usually saves time and trouble just to use MaxView to download rather than to try to build rainbow tables and turn Internet Download Manager loose on them).  I also collect plans dossiers from the French "Marches publics" site, which used to allow downloading multiple files at the same time but now does so no longer.  Since the thread control is done by user agent identification, I use Opera at the same time as Firefox if I want to download multiple dossiers at the same time.  (Why the French, you ask?  They occasionally do really large signing contracts--there was a recent one on the A31 etc. near Nancy which ran to over 400 pages of sign design sheets.)  Last year the Junta de Castilla-La Mancha released documents for a couple of really large DBFOs.  Each DBFO had a ZIP file running to over 3 GB and Opera helped me pull those in.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

IE is a turd.

I really like Firefox, but unfortunately it uses way, way too much memory, so I've switched to Chrome. I check out Opera intermittently, but have never really committed to it like Firefox and Chrome.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 06, 2010, 04:37:39 AM
IE is a turd.

I really like Firefox, but unfortunately it uses way, way too much memory, so I've switched to Chrome.

Firefox is indeed a resource hog, but I have 4 GB of RAM so it's not a problem.  I run several programs at one time and haven't had any problems.

bugo

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 05, 2010, 09:59:55 PM
Firefox 3.6.6 with a mock-up theme to look like Firefox 4.0.  I understand beta 2 is out for Firefox 4.0 from the mozilla nightly builds, but it's still labeled as Minefield.  I'll wait until the public beta is out.   

I don't like that at all.  It looks like a poor-man's IE.  Hopefully when FF4 comes out, there will be a skin that allows you to have the menus and icons like FF3 has.

SSOWorld

TBQH - It really matters not what the interface of the browser it - it's always going to change no matter what you want.  If you don't like it, don't upgrade ;)

Quote from: bugo on July 05, 2010, 09:15:36 PM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on July 05, 2010, 09:11:33 PM

Mac users don't count  :poke:.
Safari does work on Windows :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

rawmustard

Quote from: Master son on July 06, 2010, 08:40:08 AM
Safari does work on Windows :pan:

I was giving Safari 5 (on Windows 7) a spin, and unlike its WebKit-cousin Chrome, a plug-in problem still caused the entire browser to crash  :banghead:. As of right now, I primarily use Chrome (after using Firefox as the default for several years). I've grown accustomed to its simplified interface, although I've yet to see any appreciable difference between Flash being "built-in" vs. a plug-in in prior versions.

Truvelo

I use Firefox simply because IE is full of flaws that allow hackers into your PC. However, if Firefox gains a large share of the market do you think they'll write viruses for that instead of IE?
Speed limits limit life

DorkOfNerky

I've used so many browsers in my life. I started with Netscape (1.2), moved over to IE when Netscape development stalled and got bloated. As soon as Mozilla Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox came out, it became my fav. Unfortunately, like Netscape, it eventually got bloated and slow, even without the add-ons. Chrome (and its open-source buddy Chromium) is now my fav and default.

While on the Mac, I gave Safari a spin as my default, but as soon as the Chrome development builds were available on Mac, I jumped in a heartbeat.

On all computers, I still have Firefox as a secondary browser for testing purposes, but Google owns me now, and I'm quite okay with that.

Chrome is also the default browser I install on everyone's computer that I work on. Auto-updating, Flash built-in (which auto-updates as well), simple, and no nonsense.
- The Dork of Nerky

Bryant5493

I've used Firefox, Safari, and Explorer. The former(s) I've used at school (Georgia State) only; I've used the latter at home and at work, of which I'm more familiar with.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

codyg1985

I used to use Firefox, but I have switched to Chrome on all of my computers. It uses less RAM, has separate processes, and the extensions let you use Ad Block Plus or Ad Thwart.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.