News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best state rest areas

Started by Zmapper, August 06, 2010, 08:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njroadhorse

I personally love Virginia's rest areas and West Virginia's too.  The ones on I-95 and I-81 especially are nice.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

mightyace

I'm not sure if they still do, but many PA rest area have coffee and donuts around major holidays.  The service was provided by volunteer groups not the state.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

That still happens, and the PTC holds "safety breaks" at various service plazas.

D-Dey65

Quote from: njroadhorse on August 31, 2010, 11:14:41 AM
I personally love Virginia's rest areas and West Virginia's too.  The ones on I-95 and I-81 especially are nice.
I like the ones at Daly City, because of the unique entrance & exit configurations. Too bad when they closed them last winter, they didn't repair the handicapped ramps on the northbound one.

Back in June, I wanted to go to the norhbound one on I-95 north of Florence(I always loved the land surrounding it, but something else about it intrigued me, although I can't put my finger on it), and SCDOT closed them both!!

Eth

As far as unique entrance/exit configurations, I like the one on I-85 near Lexington, NC.  The carriageways actually cross over each other such that you're driving on the left for a decent distance (about 3 miles) and then the rest area is placed in the median.  I believe there's also a monument there.

Michael in Philly

Learned this afternoon:  The Maryland Welcome Center on 95 northbound between Washington and Baltimore is now open a whopping 32 hours a week (8:30 to 4:30 Thursday through Sunday).  If you want a map outside these hours, find a restroom attendant.  (No such person was in evidence, not that I tried that hard.)

Am resisting temptation to get started on the correlation between our national allergy to taxes and government services and the danger of sliding into third-world status.  Okay, I got started.  But I'm stopping.  :-)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

AZDude

Quote from: Zmapper on August 06, 2010, 08:52:43 PM
What state do you think has the best rest areas. I nominate Iowa because they are always clean, very spacious with lots of parking, and have those electronic displays with a lot of information.

I agree with this.  Plus the availability of Wi-fi.

SteveG1988

My favorite welcome center is on I-94 For Minnesota in Moorhead MN. Least Favorite rest area, the ones that are simply toilets....yes toilets are important but if i want a drink of water i would like a vending machine so i do not have to drink the local well water that is luke warm, or hot depending on the time of year. Another decent one, barring toll roads, is a nice one i found on interstate 80 in PA, westbound there was one in a mountainy area, beautiful area, well landscaped area as well. Might have been the one just outside of danville. My only complaint is that most rest stops on non toll roads lack wifi. and finding places with free wifi is hard sometimes, just because they know you have no choice but to use them.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

mightyace

^^^

On those rest areas on I-80 in PA, you're lucky to have electricity in them!  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Al Cyone

The Sloatsburg rest area on the NB NYS Thruway (I-87) used to have a sign for a "Mincha Area". When that was considered too close to state support of a particular religion, the sign was changed to "Prayer Area". When that was considered too close state support of religion, the sign was changed to "Meeting Area". But everyone who needs to know knows what the sign means.

corco

QuoteMy only complaint is that most rest stops on non toll roads lack wifi. and finding places with free wifi is hard sometimes, just because they know you have no choice but to use them.

McDonalds (or possibly McDonald's parking lots) is your friend.

beau99

The ones on I-17 in AZ are top-notch, IMO (the two that are left, anyway). The former rest area near Munds Park was nice as well, the one time I was there.

I'm a bit partial to the Tennessee Welcome Center on I-65 near the town of Jellico. Have been at that one a few times.
If you address me, call me Shiloh. I am trans. Thanks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.