News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Full service vs. Self Serve.

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 10, 2010, 04:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 11, 2010, 04:33:31 PM

I'm a little OCD. Kinda... I'd use the paper towel for the gas nozzle so my hands wouldn't get all dirty. And I don't like the idea of touching something 1,000s of people have touched before me... I'm weird like that.
BigMatt

gasoline kills bacteria.  I never worry about getting germs from the gas pump handle.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

True. But I'm weird like that. I can't wait till I can actually drive by myself. On the road. Legally... I have all these trips planed around West Texas.
BigMatt

corco

Quote5) Grab another paper towel and remove nozzle from tank, put down the hood.
6) Go into the store, use restroom, order a cheeseburger w/ onions, pickles, jalapeños, and lettuce. And an order of fries. Go to fountain drinks area and choose drink.
7) Once I get my food I sit at a table and eat. (Unless I'm in a hurry.)

I hope you move your car from the pump before you go sit at a table!  :pan:

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on August 11, 2010, 04:38:17 PM
I hope you move your car from the pump before you go sit at a table!  :pan:

I move my car when there's traffic.  when there's 4 or 8 pumps and I'm the only one out front, then I am too lazy to move the car. 

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

Quote5) Grab another paper towel and remove nozzle from tank, put down the hood.
6) Go into the store, use restroom, order a cheeseburger w/ onions, pickles, jalapeños, and lettuce. And an order of fries. Go to fountain drinks area and choose drink.
7) Once I get my food I sit at a table and eat. (Unless I'm in a hurry.)

I hope you move your car from the pump before you go sit at a table!  :pan:

Crap. Yeah I'd do that...
BigMatt

Post Merge: December 31, 1969, 07:59:59 PM -- ms.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 04:40:06 PM
I hope you move your car from the pump before you go sit at a table!  :pan:

I move my car when there's traffic.  when there's 4 or 8 pumps and I'm the only one out front, then I am too lazy to move the car.  

That's what my dad does too.
BigMatt

Brandon

Interesting order of getting gas and food.

Me:
1. Pull up to pump, write down mileage, city, station, $/gal in log book.
2. Open gas cap.
3. Scan club card as applicable then swipe bank card.
4. Select 87 octane and pump gas.
5. Put mozzle back when done, collect receipt as applicable.
6. Get in car, write down amount paid, gallons purchased, and mpg in log book.
7. Pull away and go to restaurant across the street.  ;-)

I want something other than a 7/11 type hot dog.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on August 11, 2010, 05:30:47 PM

2. Open gas cap.
3. Scan club card as applicable then swipe bank card.
4. Select 87 octane and pump gas.

this also varies by gas station.  there's always a bewildering sequence to decipher, between swiping card, selecting credit or debit, choosing octane, removing pump, raising the pump handle, not raising the pump handle, realizing that the pump handle has been bolted in place, pressing START, trying to choose octane again, pressing START a few more times, then realizing the whole thing is for broke because you entered your zip code wrong because the keypad's digit "4" is broken.

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

I'd just prefer to get food at the gas station, unless I'm like out of town, then I'd go a restaurant somewhere near the gas station.
BigMatt

Duke87

I'll occasionally grab a soda at a gas station, but I've never tried to have a meal at one. The idea actually seems a bit odd to me. Of course, we don't have gas stations that sell burgers and fries or anything like that around here, so that's probably why. 
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

I'm fairly picky at gas stations- I love Maverik's pizza for some reason and cheap burritos from any gas station are usually pretty good, but I wouldn't get a meat sandwich or pizza (anywhere else) or anything like that.

Sheetz sounds intriguing and possibly delicious, however. 

agentsteel53

pizza is pretty hard to screw up. 

The only place I've ever had a truly unusual pizza was the Vienna airport.  Apparently, Austrians believe neither in cheese nor tomato sauce.  Even then, it was pretty good.  Completely not a pizza by any stretch of the imagination, but I liked it.

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 06:46:48 PM

Believe me.  It can be done.

For example, if the pizza is left on a warming rack for 10 hours or so.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Duke87 on August 11, 2010, 06:01:34 PM
I'll occasionally grab a soda at a gas station, but I've never tried to have a meal at one. The idea actually seems a bit odd to me. Of course, we don't have gas stations that sell burgers and fries or anything like that around here, so that's probably why. 

It's less a question of buying food at a gas station than buying gas from a decent convenience store with gas pumps...  Like this (illustration): http://www.wawa.com/WawaWeb/About.aspx
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

yanksfan6129

Well, I pulled into a gas station NJ, and I thought about everything that everyone said and now I have this to say:

1. I pulled in, told the guy 20 bucks regular, handed him my card, and got served immediately. Even though the station was moderately busy, that attendant still arrived back at my pump to finish it up BEFORE it was done. So there was absolutely no wait time. In fact, had it been self-service, it would've taken even longer (theoretically), since I would've had to have exited my car. As far as I'm concerned, the time argument doesn't hold up, unless a station is particularly busy.

2. Turnpike people: those stations are always packed simply because of high volume, even when traffic on the road seems sparse. And, yes, overall those stations tend to be a little overpriced, especially when prices are trending downward, but when the prices are trending upward turnpike gas stations usually are cheaper, especially toward the end of the week, since prices are only set once per week and cannot change for the week.

3. Obviously I'm not going to convince people, this is more of an opinion but I personally just don't have a problem with an attendant a. handling a credit card, and b. putting a nozzle into the car. I don't think there is much of a risk. People tend to be legit.

4. Matt-I agree about the nozzles potentially being dirty. That is a big "turn off" for me with self-serve gasoline.

When it comes down to it, I think that people's opinions on this (clearly divisive-seriously) issue are shaped based on where they are from--it seems to me that people from NJ more often favor full-serve, and people from other places tend to favor self-serve. Our opinions may be purely environmental, primarily just because we are used to it this way.

yanksfan6129

Quote from: signalman on August 11, 2010, 03:11:02 PM
I've been laying in the weeds on this topic since it came up, but now I would like to give you a dumb pump jockey's perspective on this....
As a full time gas station manager and attendant in New Jersey it can be intense at times.  My station is located right off of I-80 and we get a lot of out-of-staters passing through.  We get bombarded at times and I can honestly say that me and all of my employees work to the best of our ability.  I'll admit that I don't clean everyone's windows.  Some cars are pretty clean and other times we're too busy.  Some people are assholes too and don't deserve me exerting the extra effort.  It may seem like mindless work at times, and to some degree it is.  But at other times you have to move like lightning and need to be alert.  As I noted, my station is right off I-80 and we get a lot of inner city trash rolling through, especially on the weekend. 

Next off, I'd like to say that I take great offense in people just assuming that I'm some thief and I'm gonna rip you off with your credit or debit card.  I try to be as transparant as possible though.  If you distrust me that much, you can swipe the card yourself, but I must put the gas in, as per state law.  I've said it before and I'll say it again...if you don't like the law, then don't buy gas in New Jersey.  It's that simple.  Don't ask me to break the law, even though you find it foolish.  The law is upheld through the Division of Weights and Measures, controlled on a county level.  There are plain clothed people out and about looking for folks breaking the law.  If they find someone pumping their own gas, both you, the customer, will get fined and so will I for letting you.  Weights and Measures is not funded through the state.  Their only source of income is fines, so they're highly motivated to write them.  I don't know about you all, but I go to work to make money, not spend it, so please adhere to our laws. 

I know lots of places that have scum bags working the pumps that some of you have mentioned, but that's not the case at my place.  As a result, I have a strong regular customer base.  Even those from out-of-state.  I'm not talking about PA commuters either.  (Those who live in the Poconos and work in NJ). 

I assume those high prices you've found in NJ were along the Turnpike or Parkway.  Prices in NJ are almost always lower than neighboring states.  New Jersey's gasoline tax is almost the lowest in the nation at 14.5 cents per gallon.  New York's is like 45 cents, Pennsylvania's is around 40, and Connecticut's is around 45 cents per gallon as well.  If you want to fill up in one of those states before entering NJ, then that's your perogative.  If you think NJ's prices would be even cheaper if we went self serve....guess again.  Another factor that keeps the prices down is lower insurance premiums.  Since there is trained attendants dipensing the fuel and not brain dead John Q. Public, the insurance is cheaper.  I've seen the difference.  My company operates in self serve states and their insurance premiums are almost double what they are at my location. 

As far as top offs go, we don't do that with a credit or debit card.  If the customer is paying cash I'll bring it to the closest quarter increment.  All I carry on my for coin change is quarters.  If the customer has the exact coin change I'll leave it where is it and just give back any applicable paper money as change.  I don't wanna hear any lame excuse that I'm gonna get gas over the side of your car either.  I've never gotten any gas on the side of anyone's car.  Most paying cash that don't want it topped off will just ask for some even dollar amount...$15, $20...whatever.  Lastly, but certainly not least are tips....I do get tipped, however I don't expect to.  Some days i can leave with $15-20 in my pocket.  Other days I don't get any.  Today was a piss poor day....just one measly dollar.  I get offended if the tip is less than a dollar, but they don't have to give me anything.  So with that said, any tip is appreciated.  Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting.  I've just had enough of people bashing New Jersey because of their law with regards to gasoline.

Where is your station? And what type is it?

BigMattFromTexas

Well, the Town & Country - TCC (Total Car Car) down the street from me has a burger place with tables and whatnot. It's mostly for the people either getting their car worked on at the actual "Total Car Care" part of the store. So it's pretty convenient cause you get free fountain drinks with every oil change and a free car wash. But I wouldn't usually like to stop at a gas station for a meal. It's just a thing if I'm hungry, we need gas and I'm hungry, I mean why not? You're already there..
BigMatt

signalman

Yanksfan...it's a Gulf station on Rt. 15 NB, just off Exit 34 B from I-80 W (Rt 15 N, Jefferson Sparta).  It's exit 34 from 80 E, then you must follow signs to 15 N

Brandon

It can be done.  There's this east coast town that thinks it knows pizza, but doesn't.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on August 12, 2010, 09:05:39 AM

It can be done.  There's this east coast town that thinks it knows pizza, but doesn't.

Wilmington, NC? :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

he said small town on the east coast.  I think he refers to Hull, MA.

jake@aaroads.com

yanksfan6129

Pizza was invented in NYC. So don't go knocking it.

corco

I've always been under the impression that it was some town in northeastern Illinois that doesn't know pizza (and I used to live there-I've had the authentic stuff- yuck). NY Style is the best, by far.

Michael in Philly

RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on August 12, 2010, 10:26:20 AM
Pizza was invented in NYC. So don't go knocking it.

indeed.  though I like both major styles.  eh, what can you do, I'm from Boston, so I remain agnostic on the pizza issue.  now, clam chowder, there's an item about which I have a distinct preference.  :sombrero:

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

I personally prefer Wichita*-style pizza, but I'm friggin' weird...

*Headquarters of Pizza Hut
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.