News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stupid Driver

Started by US71, August 24, 2010, 04:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

http://www.wdtn.com/dpp/news/video:-i-675-crash-caught-on-tape

Cruiser cam catches 100 mph crash

SUGARCREEK TWP., Montgomery Co. (WDTN) - A single car crash on Interstate 675 shut down the southbound lanes in Sugarcreek Twp. for six hours Aug. 23.

Brennan S. Eden, 19, of Mason, Ohio, lost control of his car and slammed into the concrete pillar of a bridge south of Indian Ripple Road about 7:15 a.m.

The force of the crash broke the car into three pieces and Brennan was ejected.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bryant5493

^^

Wow! I've never seen something so stupid and crazy. God was smiling on him with him being still alive.

Here's a video of another stupid driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMzt4bdjmP0

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

rebel049

Interesting update:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/police-had-arrested-released-man-before-horrific-i-675-crash-877351.html

Police had arrested, released man before horrific I-675 crash

By Kelli Wynn, Staff Writer
Updated 12:28 PM Tuesday, August 24, 2010
BEAVERCREEK – Beavercreek police released 19-year-old Brennan Eden of Mason from custody roughly 20 minutes before he sped down Interstate 675 on Monday morning, hit a culvert, and launched his Pontiac Firebird into the Wagner Road overpass.

The force of the crash broke the car apart and ejected Eden onto the highway during the morning rush hour. He remains at Miami Valley Hospital after suffering serious injuries. The crash closed the southbound lanes of I-675 for five hours on Monday, Aug. 23.

Crash investigators with the Xenia Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol have not determined the specific cause of the accident or if alcohol or drugs played a role

Beavercreek police said Tuesday that they had arrested Eden at 6:13 a.m. Monday on charges including possession of alcohol, drug paraphernalia and drug abuse after he was found with a girl in the parking lot near the corner of Beaver Vu Drive and North Fairfield Road. The officer found an unopened can of alcohol, a trace of marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the car.

The girl was released to her father. Eden was cited, given a court summons and released.

"It's police procedure not to incarcerate people on a prohibition (charge),"  Sgt. Jim Wuebben said.

"Eden was cooperative throughout, and there were no indications of Eden to be under the influence of alcohol at the time of his arrest. He was released prior to 6:54 a.m."  Monday, Wuebben said.

Wuebben added that Eden was not tested for alcohol or drugs because the situation "did not warrant testing for alcohol."  

In November 2009, Eden was cited by the Ohio State Highway Patrol for driving 90 mph in an 65 mph zone, according to records filed in the Fairborn Municipal Court.

A message left on a relative's answering service asked callers to continue to prayer for Eden, a 2009 Mason High School graduate.

"Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Brennan, who is a valued member of the Mason Schools community,"  said Mindy McCarty-Stewart, principal of Mason High School. "We continue to hope that he will make a full recovery. Brennan's a great kid with a lot of artistic ability who was very well-liked by his teachers."  

Staff Writer Mark Gokavi contributed to this report.

Contact Kelli Wynn at (937) 225-2414 or kwynn@daytondailynews.com.

corco

How does that even happen? 100 MPH isn't that fast and cars have brakes.

Wacky.

kj3400

Well he was driving in the grass, but where did that ramp come from? And how did he manage to turn like that?
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

corco

QuoteWell he was driving in the grass, but where did that ramp come from? And how did he manage to turn like that?

Wait, he was driving in the grass? Idiot.

People like this are why I dislike putting safety features in cars- natural selection was defeated by man here. That's a loss.

Duke87

Might want to review the design/installation of that guardrail. It's supposed to stop cars, not launch them into the air!
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheStranger

Quote from: Duke87 on August 24, 2010, 01:03:06 PM
Might want to review the design/installation of that guardrail. It's supposed to stop cars, not launch them into the air!

He never hit the guardrail - he launched off a rough portion of the grassy median about 5-6 feet away from the Armco rail, then flew mid-air into the concrete overpass.
Chris Sampang

allniter89

:hmmm: Kinda looks like a suicide attempt?? If not, maybe at 100 mph he came up on slower traffic and had nowhere to go except the median.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

KEK Inc.

He's really fortunate that he's living, despite the critical condition. 

This is what happens with morons going over 20 MPH over the speed limit in more urban areas pass traffic that's going significantly slower.
Take the road less traveled.

agentsteel53

giving fast drivers a bad name.  this is the reason why the speed limit won't be raised to 100 ever, because people keep abusing the privilege by being complete morons.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

KEK Inc.

I honestly don't care if people speed, but they shouldn't blow past people in adjacent lanes who are going 25 MPH slower than them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 25, 2010, 01:41:38 AM
I honestly don't care if people speed, but they shouldn't blow past people in adjacent lanes who are going 25 MPH slower than them.

then people should consider not going 25mph slower.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

If I'm doing 75 (the speed limit) on the turnpike, and somebody is doing 50, you're saying I should slow down to pass them?  Fuck that.  I'm blowing by the bastards.

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 24, 2010, 11:59:25 PM
giving fast drivers a bad name.  this is the reason why the speed limit won't be raised to 100 ever, because people keep abusing the privilege by being complete morons.

I think a speed limit 100 wouldn't be seriously considered just because that seems to be shorthand for "ludicrously fast" for many people. Speed limit 80, maybe even 90, seems rational to people, but 100 is just too much. It's a psychological thing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

He was just playing the Dukes of Hazzard.

That was one crazy crash.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: bugo on August 25, 2010, 02:10:04 AM

If I'm doing 75 (the speed limit) on the turnpike, and somebody is doing 50, you're saying I should slow down to pass them?  Fuck that.  I'm blowing by the bastards.
I'm all for enforced minimum speed limits, but that's generally not a problem unless the driver is too old to drive, carrying a heavy load, or has car problems.

mightyace

^^^

And on the last two, if you discover that you can't keep up a decent speed due what you're hauling or car problems come up.  Get off the highway as soon as possible.  Especially in the latter case, it may not be your "fault" you can't go fast enough, but you're still a safety hazard regardless of whose fault it is.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

kj3400

Quote from: Duke87 on August 24, 2010, 01:03:06 PM

To be honest, I don't think I even saw a guardrail in the video.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

algorerhythms

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 25, 2010, 01:55:37 AM

then people should consider not going 25mph slower.
So if you want to do 100mph, then I also have to go 100 just to suit you, when I'd rather do 75 or so?

BigMattFromTexas

So people shouldn't drive the damn speed limit? I don't get it.. Say the speed limit is 75, if someone going 100 blows by them, then the people actually going the speed limit are doing the "wrong" in your eyes?

I don't get it. I don't get annoyed with people speeding unless:
1) They do stupid shit when they go by.
2) They speed on my road (too many stupid kids here play in the street *also it's illegal to play "ball" in the street here! :ded: )
3) They're driving way fast and swerving between cars.

Other than that if you drive safe while driving fast, I don't really care about it..
BigMatt

corco

Speeding and driving unsafely are not directly related. You can drive unsafely by speeding, but speeding is not at its root unsafe.

Nobody thinks it's a good idea to drive 50 through a neighborhood. Swerving between cars is obviously dangerous, but not because they're speeding, because they're swerving and driving recklessly. Going 82 or even 90 or even 100 instead of 75 on a rural interstate? Probably not so dangerous.

The speed limit is a relatively arbitrary construct- there's loose direct ties, like the whole 85% theory, but speed limits often aren't assigned on that basis. For instance, the freeway speed on I-84 in Eastern Oregon is 65 because some legislators in Portland don't want trucks going more than 55. The geometry of that roadway isn't any different than most roads with a speed limit of 70 or 75, and on those roads it's safe to go 80 or 85. The speed limit on I-80 in Nebraska is 75 while the speed limit on I-70 in Kansas is 70 for...wait...why is that again?

Regardless of the speed limit, there shouldn't be ANYBODY on the road going more than 25 MPH below the flow of traffic. I don't care if the speed limit is 55 and traffic is going 80. They're a danger on the roadway and the legislators responsible for designating that 55 MPH speed limit should be tried for conspiracy to commit vehicular manslaughter for encouraging cars to drive 25 MPH below the flow of traffic. Just because the law is the law doesn't mean the law is correct.

It's the same thing as a post I made in another thread about legislation of morality failing. Speed limits fail when they're artificially low because people see the law as a pointless construct. When the law doesn't jive with the beliefs, particularly in a situation where you're dealing with massive amounts of people, it tends to be ignored. Those that choose to follow it to the letter end up in the minority, and then they're the ones that are the danger on the roadway.

If I'm driving, I keep up with the flow of traffic. If that means traffic is mostly going 90 in a 55, I'll also go 90 in a 55 rather than endanger everyone else by going 55 in the right lane. If that means traffic is mostly going 40 in a 55, that means I'm going 40 in a 55 as opposed to swerving around like an asshat trying to pass everyone else. The legal thing to do and the safe thing to do are often not the same. I'll always err on the safe side, and if I ever got a ticket for keeping up with the flow of traffic I will fight it to the bitter end.

Alps

Quote from: corco on August 25, 2010, 08:24:06 PM

Regardless of the speed limit, there shouldn't be ANYBODY on the road going more than 25 MPH below the flow of traffic. I don't care if the speed limit is 55 and traffic is going 80. They're a danger on the roadway and the legislators responsible for designating that 55 MPH speed limit should be tried for conspiracy to commit vehicular manslaughter for encouraging cars to drive 25 MPH below the flow of traffic. Just because the law is the law doesn't mean the law is correct.

You're a Westerner.  Here in the east, a lot of roads are signed at 55 MPH because they're designed to that standard - sharper curves, less superelevation, low clearances, bad sight distance, frequent exits.  A few in the NYC area: Connecticut Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, I-80.  A lot of cars (by which I mean, roughly 20% depending on day/time) travel at 80 MPH, while some (roughly 10%) travel at 55 MPH.  We all get by - in part because we have 3 or more lanes on those roads.  But it works.

corco

QuoteYou're a Westerner.  Here in the east, a lot of roads are signed at 55 MPH because they're designed to that standard - sharper curves, less superelevation, low clearances, bad sight distance, frequent exits.  A few in the NYC area: Connecticut Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, I-80.  A lot of cars (by which I mean, roughly 20% depending on day/time) travel at 80 MPH, while some (roughly 10%) travel at 55 MPH.  We all get by - in part because we have 3 or more lanes on those roads.  But it works.

But then the average flow of traffic is probably somewhere around 65-70 if 10% are going 55 and 20% are going 80, so that's a 10-15 MPH flow of traffic variation from the average as opposed to a few rogue cars going 55 while everyone else is going 80...which, ok, sure that probably only occurs in the west, but the point still stands- if 95% of traffic is going 80 and 5% is going 55, the legislators who put up that 55 sign are endangering lives.

And yes, I just made up those numbers, so that hypothetical may or may not actually exist. It may be that even in the situations I'm thinking of (I-25 where it drops to 55 in Denver, for example), it's not quite so bimodal but it feels that way

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.