News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

bargains for sale in Windsor

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 27, 2010, 09:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

article from the Windsor Star http://www.windsorstar.com/business/bargains+sale+windsor/3571211/story.html  Some on other forums, think then Windsor, ONT could recycle as a retiring community like Elliot Lake or being a alternative to "Cottage country", the Muskoka area.

QuoteWindsor has been proclaimed the cheapest place in the country to buy a middle-class home, which comes as no surprise to people who've already sold homes elsewhere for a bundle and paid substantially less for a better house here.

"To buy what we sold our place in Toronto for, we'd have a mansion here," said Jo-Anne Coutts, who with husband Don left their condo in the Yonge and Eglinton area of Toronto in January, "semi-retiring" to a backsplit in Riverside and socking away the money left over.

So many of their friends couldn't figure why they'd leave Toronto for Windsor, but Coutts says you can't compare the two lifestyles. Here there's no traffic, no stress, better weather, a wonderful waterfront, and everything -- the parking, the restaurants -- is cheaper.

She's surprised more people from high-priced cities like Toronto aren't flocking here.

"There's nothing I can complain about, about Windsor."

The report issued this week by realtor Coldwell Banker compared the average price of a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home. Compared to Vancouver ($1.3 million), Oakville ($741,638), Calgary ($551,920), Saskatoon ($484,000), Toronto ($495,398), Winnipeg ($343,160) and St. Catharines ($265,450), Windsor's price is bargain basement cheap at $158,242.

The next cheapest city is Moncton, N.B., where a four-bedroom goes for $201,522. In Fort McMurray, Alta., where the average price is $593,390, it will cost you $439,900 to move into what appears to be a gussied-up mobile home.

agentsteel53

Saskatoon costs more than Toronto?  Who'd have thunk?  Who wants to live in Saskatoon?

how much does Whitehorse cost?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

I wonder how many folks presently live in Windsor and commute to jobs in Detroit and in Oakland County...
Chris Sampang

mgk920

Quote from: TheStranger on September 27, 2010, 11:56:41 AM
I wonder how many folks presently live in Windsor and commute to jobs in Detroit and in Oakland County...

Probably fewer than a few years back due to delays and hassles relating to crossing the border.

:banghead:

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 27, 2010, 11:53:59 AM
Saskatoon costs more than Toronto?  Who'd have thunk?  Who wants to live in Saskatoon?

I would guess that the harsher climate would cause the difference there. Same way urban Alaska is one of the most expensive places to live in the US.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 28, 2010, 07:49:06 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 27, 2010, 11:53:59 AM
Saskatoon costs more than Toronto?  Who'd have thunk?  Who wants to live in Saskatoon?

I would guess that the harsher climate would cause the difference there. Same way urban Alaska is one of the most expensive places to live in the US.

Besides the harsher climate, there a new factor playing in house prices in Saskatoon and Regina. Saskatchewan got a gain of population recently with the exploitation of oil and gas shales and it's only the beginning.
Quoting

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.