News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Non-alcoholic beverage

Started by mightyace, October 20, 2010, 11:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favorite non-alcoholic beverages (pick up to 3)

Coffee
8 (22.2%)
Tea
6 (16.7%)
Soda (Pop for Western PA, NY and Midwest)
27 (75%)
Fruit Juice
9 (25%)
Lemonade
11 (30.6%)
Kool-Aid
2 (5.6%)
Iced Tea
4 (11.1%)
Bottled Water
8 (22.2%)
Tap Water
10 (27.8%)
Toilet Water
5 (13.9%)
Tonic Water
0 (0%)
Other
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: November 16, 2010, 07:17:47 PM

Alps

Added an iced tea option because tea is not tea.  Iced tea would include sweet tea.

rickmastfan67

The soda I drink are ones that are made with real Sugar (like the Dr. Pepper Heritage & Mountain Dew Throwback - just picked up 2 12-packs of Dew Throwback today).  I also like the new Sierra Mist Natural that is made with Sugar as well.  I also like Dr. Pepper (the one with HFS), but the Sugar version tastes MUCH better.  However, I do also really like the Dr. Pepper Cherry, man that stuff is good!

Anyways, I at least stocked up on the Sugar Dew and Dr while it was in stores.  Have 8 Dr. Pepper Heritage and 4 Mountain Dew Throwback (+ 1 2-litter that I picked up in Bristol, VA) available to me.  So, I'm set for at least 2-3 months with my sugar fix. :)  That and occasionally I'll pick up a Sierra Mist 2-litter to mix it up.  :)

corco

I used to be a loyal Pepsi drinker, but lately I've been drinking almost exclusively Coke and Diet Coke. Pepsi is too sweet for me now, and I like Diet Coke's lack of HFCS and the fact that I can drink it without racking up the useless calories.

Same goes with Diet Mountain Dew- I drink that religiously, especially on road trips. Diet drinks taste like crap at first,  but once you're used to them the regulars start to taste bad. A regular Coke is still better, but I can barely stand regular Mountain Dew now.

After a hard day outside, however, I love to sit down with a Sprite. To me there is no more refreshing drink than a Sprite (not a 7UP, not a Sierra Mist, not whatever generic lemon lime drink, not a diet Sprite, just regular Sprite).

A delicious glass of tap water is also awesome unless you're too far south and you get the (presumably) desal water that's in Phoenix and South Texas- that stuff is just nasty. I even like Chicago water, which is pretty bad- although the well water at my parents house in Idaho is probably my favorite- well water is almost always the most delicious.

I can barely eat pasta without milk- milk is still my non-alcoholic dinner beverage of choice, and I can't function in the morning without having a glass of Orange Juice.

I don't drink a ton of coffee, but when I do I prefer the cheap straight stuff. No lattes or mochas for me, and iced coffee makes me nauseous.

I love the sweet tea at McAlister's- I've been known to buy that by the gallon. I haven't had McDonalds's yet, but I bet that's not bad either.  

I guess I like all drinks. Depending on the mood I'm in and what I've done that day, pretty much everything sounds like the best possible drink at some point or another.  Tomato juice is nasty, but beyond that I'll drink just about anything.

NJRoadfan

Cheerwine is a current favorite. I buy a ton of diet cases while in NC. Its available in NJ now, but only in glass bottles for $1.50 a piece. One perk is that the glass bottles are real sugar vs. HFCS. Oddly enough I haven't actually seen glass bottle Cheerwine for sale in NC itself, only other states.

realjd

Mostly Coke Zero and Pepsi Max. I don't as a rule like diet sodas, but Coke Zero doesn't taste diet, and Pepsi Max tastes identical to Coke Zero but has significantly more caffeine. Also, I'll usually keep some Diet A&W around if I don't want caffeine. It also doesn't taste like a diet soda.

I used to drink regular soda, but it just became too many empty calories. I will splurge on an imported Mexican (real sugar) Coke or Pepsi whenever I'm at a hispanic grocery though.

hbelkins

I am a Diet Coke drinker, although I will occasionally opt for a Diet Dr Pepper if it is an option.

Being from Kentucky, I am a fan of Ale-8-One both regular and diet versions. And I am also quite fond of Vernor's, which is a bit more spicy than Ale-8.

(OK, how do you get the hyperlinks to show up as text and not the url itself, like Jeff did for his Jones Soda link?)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

see the "URL" tag description here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

in short: (url=http://www.example.com)click here to go to the example site(/url)

(replace curved parentheses with block ones)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Diet and 'Zero' drinks make me feel ill due to the chemicals they put in them to sweeten them. Give me sugar, or even corn syrup, over them any time.

When in the States, I tend to drink Mountain Dew or Root Beer, mostly as I can't get them here easily/cheaply and I like them.

I tend to drink cola for a non-hot drink, and drink about a mug of coffee, and one of tea a day. I normally have an orange juice in the morning, and often drink squash.

It's not a problem like sensitive teeth, but I feel that chilled drinks taste a lot worse than room temperature drinks, so I take water out of the tap (which is a bit colder than room temperature), rather than the fridge, and store my cola outside the fridge.

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on October 20, 2010, 03:01:17 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on October 20, 2010, 02:57:16 PM
I cut back my soft drink intake about two years ago and cut out HFCS because I got to the point where I couldn't stand the syrupy taste anymore.  So when I buy pop now, I look for Jones Soda products or the new Sierra Mist Free.
There is also a Sierra Mist Natural that uses sugar.  Plus you have the Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback Editions when they are available.

That is what I meant, but I couldn't find the name and didn't feel like looking for the box.

I do not like Mountain Dew, and Pepsi Throwback needs to be available throughout the summer instead of the two-three weeks it seemed to be available.  One of the Giant Eagles near me carries Coke from Mexico in their international foods aisle, so I get that from time-to-time when I want a cola without HFCS.

mightyace

^^^

I've seen Pepsi Throwback available throughout the year since it's been introduced, but it's been sporadic and varies from store to store.

I don't know if the local Pepsi bottlers are making it multiple times a year or if the supermarkets just found a bunch of cases in some corner of one of their warehouses.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on October 21, 2010, 02:56:20 PM
I do not like Mountain Dew, and Pepsi Throwback needs to be available throughout the summer instead of the two-three weeks it seemed to be available.  One of the Giant Eagles near me carries Coke from Mexico in their international foods aisle, so I get that from time-to-time when I want a cola without HFCS.

My Giant Eagles have that Mexico Coke as well.

Anyways, you up for a roadtrip?  One of my local Giant Eagles still has the Pepsi Throwback if you want some.  When I was there two days ago, they still had 8 Pepsi Throwback 12-packs.  If you want to know which one, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you which one if you want to stock up. ;)

74/171FAN

Actually in the poll I think pop should be extended to all of PA.  My former youth pastor was from Lancaster and he said pop.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

corco

That's interesting- I always thought of "pop" as a western Great Lakes/northern Plains sort of thing- namely Minnesota/Wisconsin (I'd have spotted the "pop" capitol of the world somewhere around Madison) , but also Illinois, Iowa, and the eastern Dakotas- basically any area with a large Scandinavian heritage. Interestingly, I remember it as being used most of the time in southern Ohio and even Columbus to an extent, but in Dayton the usage was almost entirely "soda"- that could be a years old misconception though.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

That- if I recall the methodology of that map I suspect it's pretty accurate in densely populated areas and not so much in rural areas. Good luck finding many people in Idaho or Wyoming (or Washington for that matter- really surprised to see the Puget Sound area as blue) who call it pop! They are there, but it's rare.

Strangely, by that map I have only lived in counties where at least 50% of the population calls it "pop" and I've never once referred to it as that- same with both of my parents except my Dad who spent two years in Massachusetts as a boy.

74/171FAN

I guess it was just him or something lol.  I didn't think more than 80% of eastern PA and points northeast would say "soda".  I had always heard that people from the north said pop.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

algorerhythms

Quote from: rawmustard on October 20, 2010, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on October 20, 2010, 02:19:24 PM.
Who selected toilet water :pan:

I can probably narrow it down to two or three who would possibly vote toilet water, but it would be rude to call them out by name.

Well, I didn't vote, so it probably wasn't me.

mightyace

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 21, 2010, 11:26:57 PM
I guess it was just him or something lol.  I didn't think more than 80% of eastern PA and points northeast would say "soda".  I had always heard that people from the north said pop.

Yep, I'm one of them.  My mother was from Milwaukee and it took her awhile to get used to "soda".

Funny thing is, I've live in middle TN 15 years and haven't heard too many people say "Coke" generically.  But, Nashville has a lot of transplants like me.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 21, 2010, 08:20:26 PMAnyways, you up for a roadtrip?  One of my local Giant Eagles still has the Pepsi Throwback if you want some.  When I was there two days ago, they still had 8 Pepsi Throwback 12-packs.  If you want to know which one, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you which one if you want to stock up. ;)

Am I up for a roadtrip?  Please, I'm a road enthusiast. :)  I will be making a trip to Consol sometime in the next week or two to pick up a donation item from the Pens, so a detour for some old school Pepsi would work.

Is it one of the Market District locations?  I think the one in Bethel Park had a slot on the shelf for some the last time I was there a few weeks ago.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on October 22, 2010, 02:16:59 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 21, 2010, 08:20:26 PMAnyways, you up for a roadtrip?  One of my local Giant Eagles still has the Pepsi Throwback if you want some.  When I was there two days ago, they still had 8 Pepsi Throwback 12-packs.  If you want to know which one, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you which one if you want to stock up. ;)

Am I up for a roadtrip?  Please, I'm a road enthusiast. :)  I will be making a trip to Consol sometime in the next week or two to pick up a donation item from the Pens, so a detour for some old school Pepsi would work.

Is it one of the Market District locations?  I think the one in Bethel Park had a slot on the shelf for some the last time I was there a few weeks ago.

No, it's not one of the Market District's.  It's a normal Giant Eagle, but one that is open 24/7.  I just sent you a PM with it's location. ;)

It seems the reason that they still have it is because people don't go to this store that offen.  A new Market District was opened a few miles North of it that took away most of it's traffic.

KEK Inc.

I've lived in California and Washington all of my life, and I've never heard people refer to soda as 'pop'. 
Take the road less traveled.

Scott5114

I have to say, the "other" on that map worries me quite a lot. What "other" is there?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 22, 2010, 10:25:17 PM
I have to say, the "other" on that map worries me quite a lot. What "other" is there?
Tonic? That's what my mom has always called it. What worries me is how they were able to find at least three people in Loving County, Texas.

bugo

I lived in Kansas City, and never got used to "soda."  I now live in Tulsa, and I'm still not used to "pop."  To me soda is baking soda and pop is a genre of music.  I call it "coke."

Anyone who has met me can verify that I always have a Coke in my hand.  Coke is easily my favorite drink.  I drink about 10 cans a day, which is way too much.

english si

To me Coke is simply the dark drink also called cola (brand regardless), soda is a word that just doesn't get used and pop is the noise made by popcorn when it's cooking.

To me, the generic term for cold drinks with carbon dioxide bubbles in it is "fizzy drink" (or "carbonated soft drink" if you want to be like the description on cans of coke). Soft drink for generic non-alcoholic cold drinks. You list them by what they are if you want something specific (eg. we have Coke, Lemonade or Fanta). I get "pop", and "soda" - they don't make my spine shudder - and I can just about tolerate "tonic" without going apoplectic (though if you ask me for a tonic, you'll either get a health drink or tonic water), but using the term "coke" for anything but cola just makes me want to rinse your mouth out with soap.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.