News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Geographic pride

Started by bugo, October 20, 2010, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

The Dutch climate isn't too interesting, humid, not really hot and never really cold. Anything below 15 F or above 90 F is not an everyday occurrence in the respective seasons. That said, 90 F and humidity are not my favorites. Dutch homes are not airconditioned - it isn't even standard in passenger cars.

I can't imagine what it's like in places like Phoenix where the desert starts at your front door if you don't excessively water your lawn.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Chris on October 25, 2010, 11:37:32 AMI can't imagine what it's like in places like Phoenix where the desert starts at your front door if you don't excessively water your lawn.

It doesn't work that way.  For starters, it is very rare for private homes in Phoenix and Tucson to have grass lawns.  Most houses instead have xeriscaping, which generally consists of typical desert vegetation like paloverde, various types of cacti, etc. growing out of simulated desert pavement.  There are some places in Arizona where it is possible to have a lawn, and many people in those places do, but those are generally at higher altitudes, which in Arizona tend to have moist microclimates and supported grasslands or even pine forests long before the arrival of European settlers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Chris

Right. I guess you have to have a McMansion in order to have a green lawn in Phoenix.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: mightyace on October 25, 2010, 10:38:26 AM
New Jersey might come close.  You have the Pocono mountains just inside PA and beaches to the east.

If the Xanadu indoor ski slope opens in the Meadowlands, you certainly will be able to ski... even in the summer. NJ has in-state skiing in the winter as well in Vernon and Mahwah.

mightyace

^^^

Thanks for the info.  I shouldn't be surprised that there are ski areas in New Jersey.  I just didn't know about any.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

TheHighwayMan3561

Born and raised in Minnesota, and I don't plan on leaving ever.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

Regarding heat versus cold; you can always put on more clothing to get warm in the cold, but there's only so much you can take off in the heat without getting arrested.  And even then.

To live in a place that doesn't really have four seasons would be too boring.  If it's gonna get cold, I want heaps of snow to play in.  So even the middle latitudes of the lower 48 would be unappealing.  3 or 4 months of November?  No thanks.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jgb191

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 27, 2010, 09:35:15 AM
Regarding heat versus cold; you can always put on more clothing to get warm in the cold, but there's only so much you can take off in the heat without getting arrested.

Simple Solution:  Don't take anything off.  If any of you ever visit the tropical climate of South Texas, the rule of thumb is keep yourself fully covered at all times while outdoors, no matter how hot it is.

Exposing any part of your skin makes you a prime target for mosquitoes, killer bees, ants, and other biting insects that thrive here, and you seriously don't want that.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

BigMattFromTexas

Quote from: jgb191 on October 31, 2010, 01:52:31 PM
Exposing any part of your skin makes you a prime target for mosquitoes, killer bees, ants, and other biting insects that thrive here, and you seriously don't want that.

I'm used to the mosquitoes and the ants. But there's rattlesnakes all over Texas. And other biting species.. So yeah, I've worn jeans in 100+ degree weather...
BigMatt

agentsteel53

show me a rattlesnake that can't - or won't - strike through a pair of jeans, and I'll show you an evolutionary dead end...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jgb191

So in that case, wear double or triple layer of jeans in Texas! lol
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.