News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What OS Do You Use

Started by SteveG1988, December 07, 2010, 11:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Os Do You Use?

Win Xp/Win 2000 Pro
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows Xp x64
Windows 9x
Linux
Mac Os

SteveG1988

Hey, Just a poll i thought up. If you are curious i gave Xp x64 its own option due to it being based off server 2003, Vista/7 counts for both.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

I have an electric eel that serves as the interface between me and the internet.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quillz

Our university computers run Mac OS X (Tiger) and Windows (XP), but I have Win7 installed on all family-owned machines. Also own several Mac models. I try to use 64-bit whenever possible. I also run Linux virtual machines just as a hobbyist thing.

SteveG1988

I run xp x64 on my quad core tower, and 7 x64 on my laptop.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

realjd

XP, Red Hat, Solaris, and embedded QNX at work; mostly Win7 at home, but OSX 10.4 on the old PPC iMac I rescued from the neighbor's trash and repaired.

They're all good at different things, and each serves a purpose within its niche.

Dr Frankenstein

Windows 7 as main OS, latest Ubuntu in VirtualBox.
Also have DOS 6.22 + Windows For Workgroups 3.11, and Windows 98 in VMs, mostly for old-school gaming. :)

NE2

Why do people make threads like this?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

For personal use, I will not use anything but Linux. I switch back and forth between Fedora and Ubuntu; currently I'm on Ubuntu.

Of the slot machines I work with, three vendors use Windows XP exclusively, two vendors use Linux exclusively, one vendor's older machines use a custom OS and the newer ones use Windows XP, one vendor's older machines use a custom OS and the newer ones use Linux, and one uses a custom OS called AVP on all their machines.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2010, 08:33:13 PM

So whiners won't be bored.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Duke87

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Not without its flaws, but it's a solid system.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2010, 08:33:13 PM

because we have forgotten how to masturbate correctly.

Karma +2, insightful
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: NE2 on December 07, 2010, 08:33:13 PMWhy do people make threads like this?

I call threads of that general type "I, me, and myself" threads because nearly everyone who posts uses his or her personal experience as the exclusive frame of reference in his or her post, instead of offering wider discussion on, say, the merits of various operating systems.  I tend to skip such threads because, being mildly egotistical like everyone else, I am more interested in information that I can use than in bald statements of other people's personal preferences.

I don't think it is fair to hold the OP responsible for starting an "I, me, and myself" thread.  All the OP can do is start the discussion; it is up to the other posters to contribute material that is of general interest and is not confined to their own personal frames of reference.  But since it is very easy for poll threads to go in the "I, me, and myself" direction, I usually try to head that off by asking people to explain how they chose among different options, since that often leads to stimulating discussion (similar to the relative merits of sugar and high-fructose corn syrup in the soft drink thread).  (It doesn't always work though--I think the coffee-making methods in the coffee thread came across to this audience as too arcane.)

Edit:  In addition to the older poll thread AARoads dug up, we have had a PC versus Mac thread before.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Truvelo

I have Windows 7 Professional on my Core i7 tower with 6GB RAM, SSD hard drive etc. My laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium.
Speed limits limit life

vdeane

My desktop dual boots between Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10.  My laptop has Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.