News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ready for the blizzard?

Started by J Route Z, January 26, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/021215.shtm

So far we haven't had that much snow and only a few inches are forecasted tonight. Hopefully they are back before something bigger hits.

The Nature Boy

I'm anxious to see what happens when the snow melts this year. I might need to bring a kayak when I move my stuff in 2 months.

Thing 342

Very nasty cold front moved through here an hour or so ago. The CBBT reported several wind gusts of over 80 mph.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on February 14, 2015, 09:25:56 PM
I'm anxious to see what happens when the snow melts this year. I might need to bring a kayak when I move my stuff in 2 months.

Spring here, when spring really hits, is a lot of fun.  People really quickly come out of the woodwork after months of relatively deserted sidewalks.  I have a feeling this one's going to be a little wild after this winter.

And by June 28 people will be declaring they hate the weather here because it's too hot and humid.

slorydn1

It was really windy over night here, too, with wind chills down into the single digits. They are calling for snow from between Monday night through Wednesday. Last winter we had a couple of 4+ inch events which isn't much, but 4 inches here is like 2 feet up north-the world stops.

I don't think they are looking at anything like that though this time, more like on and off freezing rain and a few light dustings.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

1995hoo

Current wind chill here is about —13 (outside thermometer lists air temperature of about 3). The wind ripped one of the screens out of the kitchen window about 45 minutes ago. Glad I was sitting in the kitchen, saw it happen, and could go outside to retrieve it before it blew away.

Even the squirrels are nowhere to be seen today.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Several wind casualties around here this morning. At my house I had a trash can, tarp, and spare front bumper for my project car (!) blown up against the fence. On I-95 a Shell station sign had been partially blown out, and a ground-mounted BGS had fallen apart. Fortunately no debris on the road itself.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

You guys should think about living somewhere else! :-D Good grief. Here's a lovely shot from Vancouver, BC this morning ... high today nearing 60 F:

slorydn1

Quote from: jakeroot on February 15, 2015, 02:15:48 PM
You guys should think about living somewhere else! :-D Good grief. Here's a lovely shot from Vancouver, BC this morning ... high today nearing 60 F:

Looks great :thumbsup:

Actually I already live in the southeast. Cold and possibly snow this week, it will probably be 80 by the end of next week, one can never tell around here  :p
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

dcbjms

Didn't you guys have to deal with snow a couple of years ago, IIRC?  Causing problems at least in North Vancouver and that area?  I distinctly remember watching something to that effect on CBC.

As for me - well, the high winds and the like have shut down a good portion of RI, including RIPTA service (though they are determined to get to normal service tomorrow).

jakeroot

Quote from: dcbjms on February 15, 2015, 06:09:26 PM
Didn't you guys have to deal with snow a couple of years ago, IIRC?  Causing problems at least in North Vancouver and that area?  I distinctly remember watching something to that effect on CBC.

Well, jokes aside, Cascadia gets slammed with winter storms about every two to four years, but it's only one storm at a time (never multiple storms a la New England 2015). When it does snow, everything shuts down. Vancouver is better at weathering storms than Seattle and Portland because it's flatter, but it's still pretty crazy.

Zeffy

Hope the south is ready, especially Kentucky and Tennessee, because the snow is coming for you guys next. Up here, we're getting another 3-5 inches. I'm so ready for the snow to stop. (also, IT'S REALLY FREAKING COLD OUT, and last night I thought I could run outside really quickly to throw something out. I was in shorts and a sweatshirt. 25 seconds outside and my legs were beyond numb.)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Yeah, winter and a commitment to shorts = recluse.

Pete from Boston

Just passed my local holdout pile and it's down to two feet or so.  Looks like it won't make it to June, but this early Memorial Day is definitely possible. 

Anyone else still have snow?

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 19, 2015, 03:32:13 PM

I haven't even seen snow since last year. :-D

SignGeek101

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 19, 2015, 03:32:13 PM
Just passed my local holdout pile and it's down to two feet or so.  Looks like it won't make it to June, but this early Memorial Day is definitely possible. 

It snowed here yesterday, not kidding. Temperature went down to -1 C or about 30 F. I guess that's what happens when you live in Winnipeg. Supposed to get back into Spring and Summer conditions later this week though.

GaryV

My wife said someone posted on Facebook that it snowed in Marquette today (5/19).

One time when we were on Mackinac Island, the tour guide said that it has snowed on the Island in every month of the year at some time or other, including July and August.

vdeane

There was some snow in the Adirondacks this morning as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: GaryV on May 19, 2015, 09:31:50 PM
My wife said someone posted on Facebook that it snowed in Marquette today (5/19).

One time when we were on Mackinac Island, the tour guide said that it has snowed on the Island in every month of the year at some time or other, including July and August.

Snow reached into Northern WI that day as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2015, 09:32:06 PM

Snow reached into Northern WI that day as well.

No snow here...just torrential rain.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Yep.  Traces of snow have been reported in the Upper Peninsula on July 4 of all days.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

freebrickproductions

No snow here in northern Alabama since late February or early March.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

I experienced a few flakes of snow in Fort McMurray, Alberta two weeks ago.

Edmonton got a lot more than that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.