News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

adventurernumber1

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 06, 2018, 07:49:28 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on May 06, 2018, 07:37:05 PM
Quote from: US71 on May 06, 2018, 06:53:46 PM
And some bad news
https://developers.googleblog.com/2018/05/introducing-google-maps-platform.html
Wait, I'm just very, very lost. I've been looking at it for 20 minutes, but due to the debilitating, racing anxiety I am experiencing, I am having trouble figuring out what is going on (I am reading the same things over and over again but I am not encoding anything or understanding it). Does this mean I have to pay $200 a month just to use Google Maps now? Or is it only $200 for some super-special service. Does this mean that I can't do street-view anymore until I hand over my entire wallet and a little extra? What is the $200 for. Is that the minimum price to use Google Maps for the future, I have no idea. Someone please explain to me.  :wow:  :paranoid:  :no:

Think about it this way: Google charging money for Maps would be suicide for their product.

That whole blog post is for outside developers working with the Google platform. There's not going to be any change for the average end-user.

Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2018, 07:45:27 PM
That message seems to be aimed at developers who are building their applications on the Google Maps database or API, not just users.  I wouldn't worry.  Agree that it's confusingly-written, though.

Oh, thank goodness. Now I can breathe again.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to hear this. I have a very bad habit of jumping to conclusions before knowing or understanding the whole story, with my mind clouded by pessimism (which in this case, made me immediately think of and believe the the worst, before knowing the 100% truth). Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.  :nod:  :thumbsup:

Now that really would be insane and ridiculous if Google Maps forced you to pay $200 a month just for usage by the average person. They would have pulled a Photobucket, except even worse.  X-(  :verymad:  :-D
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Michael

I've been following this thread over the past few years, and I have to say that I agree with most if not all of the complaints.  I was reading the link that US71 posted, and now I'm really worried since it looks like removing keyless API access will break KMLMap/ClassyGMap.  I have a link to the old code that still has ClassyGMap branding in my bookmarks bar.  Unless I click the address in a search result, I don't even use maps.google.com.  Even if I do click the address, I usually switch to ClassyGMap.

Since I use an old version of Chrome (I don't like the interface changes in newer versions, yet another thing Google has messed up), Maps is broken for me, and it only supports Lite mode.  A few months ago, the sidebar that appears for a search result started closing itself as soon as the page loads.  Around the same time, they changed embeds to require holding [CTRL] while scrolling to zoom, but that also broke scrolling with the scroll wheel in regular Maps.  For me, I discovered that I actually have to hold [ALT] instead of [CTRL] to zoom on embedded maps.

According to Google, the reasoning behind holding [CTRL] to zoom is to prevent zooming on an embedded map while scrolling on a webpage.  I rarely encountered this issue, and if I did, I just scrolled while not hovering over the map, or dragged the scrollbar in Chrome.  Also, since I'm stuck in Lite mode, I can't even drag a route line on the map, but I can in ClassyGMap.

On a side note, I think that removing keyless access will break Street View embeds on the forum.

Lastly, why does Google keep breaking things?!  ClassyGMap (without all the bells and whistles of regular Maps) can use over 1 GB of RAM in Street View between the tab and GPU process, whereas the old Flash based viewer in Classic Maps used at most 500 MB between the tab and Flash plugin.

Maps isn't the only thing Google has broken.  YouTube's HTML5 player is a good idea, but is horribly broken.  When implemented correctly, HTML5 is great.  On YouTube, clicking in the video area or using the spacebar to pause can crash the tab.  Also, it's fairly common for videos to not play and endlessly buffer.  Since I'm using an old version of Chrome, I can right-click twice and open the MP4 video in a new tab, which still loads forever, but plays fine after removing the "pltype" parameter from the URL.

The latest thing I'm worried about is the Polymer redesign of YouTube.  When I clicked the link to try it, it was a mostly blank page with a few images and no video.  I noticed that YouTube channels have begun to have "disable_polymer=1" at the end of the URL, and that worries me.  Classic Maps had "output=classic", then it was gone, then YouTube had "nohtml5=1" which was removed, and that pattern tells me that the current YouTube design will eventually be removed.

Of course, Google's response to the glitches and errors I've mentioned in this post would be "upgrade your browser", but like I mentioned, I don't like the new Chrome design.  What about people that can't upgrade?  Imagine if the DOT or DMV said "your car is no longer compatible with the road network" and that you had to purchase a new car to continue driving.

Thing 342

Quote from: Michael on May 06, 2018, 10:12:33 PMOf course, Google's response to the glitches and errors I've mentioned in this post would be "upgrade your browser", but like I mentioned, I don't like the new Chrome design.  What about people that can't upgrade? 
Would like to note to the audience that purposefully not upgrading your browser because you don't like an interface change is a terrible idea and great way to have your computer compromised. There's a very good reason why browser and OS makers are so pushy when it comes to installing updates.

QuoteImagine if the DOT or DMV said "your car is no longer compatible with the road network" and that you had to purchase a new car to continue driving.
This ... already happened? Remember seat belt legislation?

Brandon

Quote from: Thing 342 on May 07, 2018, 02:50:22 AM

Quote from: Michael on May 06, 2018, 10:12:33 PMOf course, Google's response to the glitches and errors I've mentioned in this post would be "upgrade your browser", but like I mentioned, I don't like the new Chrome design.  What about people that can't upgrade? 
Would like to note to the audience that purposefully not upgrading your browser because you don't like an interface change is a terrible idea and great way to have your computer compromised. There's a very good reason why browser and OS makers are so pushy when it comes to installing updates.

QuoteImagine if the DOT or DMV said "your car is no longer compatible with the road network" and that you had to purchase a new car to continue driving.

Um, not exactly.  Anything new is mandated only for that model year vehicle or newer, older vehicles are exempt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

There are other reasons for having an out of date browser, such as your IT department at work not pushing out the later updates or the case of my Chromebook, which fell out of support simply due to its age (even though the hardware works perfectly fine; planned obsolescence at its finest).  But overall I agree regarding not staying with the old version.  Chrome isn't IE, where old versions continued to get security updates even after the release of a new version.

Speaking of the hold CTRL to zoom thing in embeds, that has to be one of the more annoying things Google has ever done.

I used KMLMap briefly as a way of avoiding the new look, but eventually the new look migrated to the services using the API, and not only that, even the alternate schemes were affected.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2018, 08:04:12 PM
There are other reasons for having an out of date browser, such as your IT department at work not pushing out the later updates or the case of my Chromebook, which fell out of support simply due to its age (even though the hardware works perfectly fine; planned obsolescence at its finest).  But overall I agree regarding not staying with the old version.  Chrome isn't IE, where old versions continued to get security updates even after the release of a new version.

Speaking of the hold CTRL to zoom thing in embeds, that has to be one of the more annoying things Google has ever done.

I used KMLMap briefly as a way of avoiding the new look, but eventually the new look migrated to the services using the API, and not only that, even the alternate schemes were affected.

Or simply having a browser that doesn't auto-update and not wanting a newer version.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

vdeane

Quote from: 20160805 on May 07, 2018, 08:10:34 PM
Or simply having a browser that doesn't auto-update and not wanting a newer version.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But then you're deliberately leaving your computer vulnerable to security vulnerabilities, and on an application what is used for accessing the wild west that is the world wide web.  Hope you don't mind a computer infected with malware.  Getting infected is as easy as having the wrong ad load on a site you're browsing.  Don't make it any easier for the bad guys to do more damage by leaving known security holes open.  Malware authors will often write code specifically targeting patched vulnerabilities in the hope of infecting the computers of people like you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Today, I did something I was trying to do in the past but failed with again. I tried to zoom in on the Valley Stream State Park Road, that runs between Parking Field 1, and the eastbound Southern State Parkway on-ramps at Exit 15, so I could try to figure out if, when, and how drivers can get into Parking Field 2, and it kept zipping me onto the Parkway.

There's a gate to that parking lot on Henry Street which is for exits only, but the only other access I can find is from that park road, which also has a Do Not Enter sign going in. So just how anyone could possibly get in there legally is a total mystery as far as I'm concerned. I was hoping GSV would show me some evidnce that it may be temporary or of something else going on, but it keeps dragging me away.

vdeane

That's because the street view car never drove on the portion of road directly in front of the lot.  Both directions the car went right onto the parkway.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on May 07, 2018, 07:04:41 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on May 07, 2018, 02:50:22 AM
Quote from: Michael on May 06, 2018, 10:12:33 PMOf course, Google's response to the glitches and errors I've mentioned in this post would be "upgrade your
Imagine if the DOT or DMV said "your car is no longer compatible with the road network" and that you had to purchase a new car to continue driving.

Um, not exactly.  Anything new is mandated only for that model year vehicle or newer, older vehicles are exempt.

Because cars are a large expense, that most people can't afford to just throw away whenever a new safety feature comes out.

On the other hand, browsers don't cost shit. So not upgrading is really stupid.

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on May 14, 2018, 12:49:04 PM
That's because the street view car never drove on the portion of road directly in front of the lot.  Both directions the car went right onto the parkway.
So I guess I'm going to have to call them up directly on the phone.

fillup420

It seems someone has changed the entirety of US 15 to be labeled as "US Hwy 15/501" . In central NC, that is correct. But in Pennsylvania, it is not. It seems that edit took out all the 15 shields with it too.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2018, 08:54:51 PMBut then you're deliberately leaving your computer vulnerable to security vulnerabilities, and on an application what is used for accessing the wild west that is the world wide web.  Hope you don't mind a computer infected with malware.  Getting infected is as easy as having the wrong ad load on a site you're browsing.  Don't make it any easier for the bad guys to do more damage by leaving known security holes open.  Malware authors will often write code specifically targeting patched vulnerabilities in the hope of infecting the computers of people like you.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 14, 2018, 10:08:43 PMOn the other hand, browsers don't cost shit. So not upgrading is really stupid.

I respectfully disagree.  On my primary computer, I keep automatic updating disabled to the extent that I can and drag my feet on updating, since I generally find that with my usage patterns, it is far more likely that essential functionality will be broken than that I will be infected with malware.

I do use an ad-blocking HOSTS file, which is very effective at stopping malicious code hosted on ad servers and will not attract "Disable AdBlock Plus" prompts.

My Android phone is not rooted and cannot easily be either rooted or maintained in a rooted state, so I cannot install an ad-blocking HOSTS file on it.  Consequently, I have far more problems with unwanted code execution on it (generally as a result of clicking on the wrong piece of clickbait in Facebook), even though the OS and all apps auto-update.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 20, 2018, 12:48:59 PM
I respectfully disagree.  On my primary computer, I keep automatic updating disabled to the extent that I can and drag my feet on updating, since I generally find that with my usage patterns, it is far more likely that essential functionality will be broken than that I will be infected with malware.

I have done this with Windows updates, because several games that I play have been broken by previous updates. Not by small updates. The bigger ones that change functionality.

Security updates? I've never experienced broken functionality as the result of these.

D-Dey65

Quote from: fillup420 on May 20, 2018, 09:09:56 AM
It seems someone has changed the entirety of US 15 to be labeled as "US Hwy 15/501" . In central NC, that is correct. But in Pennsylvania, it is not. It seems that edit took out all the 15 shields with it too.
Yeah, I saw that. I was wondering who screwed that up.
:confused:

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on May 20, 2018, 02:31:36 PMI have done this with Windows updates, because several games that I play have been broken by previous updates. Not by small updates. The bigger ones that change functionality.

Security updates? I've never experienced broken functionality as the result of these.

I just wait on updates of all types--with Microsoft now doing update rollups, it is not worth the trouble of separating out security updates for prompt application.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 20, 2018, 02:46:11 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 20, 2018, 02:31:36 PMI have done this with Windows updates, because several games that I play have been broken by previous updates. Not by small updates. The bigger ones that change functionality.

I just wait on updates of all types--with Microsoft now doing update rollups, it is not worth the trouble of separating out security updates for prompt application.
Man, I wish I could reverse a recent Microsoft update, because they took out a lot of what I had before, including passwords (one of which was a Google password that they kept changing all the time). And this isn't the first time anything like this has happened either!  :verymad:

csw

Anyone know why I-37 isn't shown as an actual interstate?

kphoger

Quote from: csw on May 25, 2018, 09:59:03 AM

Because Texas is changing its number to I-69N ???
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: kphoger on May 25, 2018, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: csw on May 25, 2018, 09:59:03 AM

Because Texas is changing its number to I-69N ???

And I guess I-2 will become I-69S now.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Michael

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 20, 2018, 12:48:59 PM
Quote from: vdeane on May 07, 2018, 08:54:51 PMBut then you're deliberately leaving your computer vulnerable to security vulnerabilities, and on an application what is used for accessing the wild west that is the world wide web.  Hope you don't mind a computer infected with malware.  Getting infected is as easy as having the wrong ad load on a site you're browsing.  Don't make it any easier for the bad guys to do more damage by leaving known security holes open.  Malware authors will often write code specifically targeting patched vulnerabilities in the hope of infecting the computers of people like you.

Quote from: jakeroot on May 14, 2018, 10:08:43 PMOn the other hand, browsers don't cost shit. So not upgrading is really stupid.

I do use an ad-blocking HOSTS file, which is very effective at stopping malicious code hosted on ad servers and will not attract "Disable AdBlock Plus" prompts.

My Android phone is not rooted and cannot easily be either rooted or maintained in a rooted state, so I cannot install an ad-blocking HOSTS file on it.  Consequently, I have far more problems with unwanted code execution on it (generally as a result of clicking on the wrong piece of clickbait in Facebook), even though the OS and all apps auto-update.

The part I bolded is the case for me too.  I also use an ad blocking hosts file (this one to be exact).

Last night, I noticed this page mentioned that "Maps in Lite Mode is currently being upgraded to full Google Maps".  Does that mean Lite Mode won't exist anymore at some point?  A little while ago, I was spoofing my useragent in Firefox, and forgot to change it back, and Bing Maps wouldn't even load.  I'm afraid this will become the case for Google Maps since Lite Mode is being "upgraded".

Roadsguy

I noticed a weird gap in the Street View on US 1/City Avenue near Bala Cynwyd between Old Lancaster Road and 47th Street. There's plenty of coverage of the cross streets and even some of the business driveways along the road, but they all just stop abruptly. Anyone know what possible reason there might be?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

DeaconG

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 02, 2018, 08:32:10 PM
I noticed a weird gap in the Street View on US 1/City Avenue near Bala Cynwyd between Old Lancaster Road and 47th Street. There's plenty of coverage of the cross streets and even some of the business driveways along the road, but they all just stop abruptly. Anyone know what possible reason there might be?

I just checked, I don't see the issue.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

hotdogPi

Quote from: DeaconG on June 04, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

Drag the Street View guy without letting go. Notice that a section of US 1 isn't highlighted.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

DeaconG

Quote from: 1 on June 04, 2018, 10:51:29 AM
Quote from: DeaconG on June 04, 2018, 10:45:56 AM

Drag the Street View guy without letting go. Notice that a section of US 1 isn't highlighted.

Okay, I see it now.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.