Longest distance from exit ramp to control point city

Started by cjk374, December 26, 2009, 09:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

When it comes to surface street interchanges with interstates:

At I-75's Exit 290 in Cartersville, Georgia (GA SR 20; Rome, Canton), it is 27.4 miles to Rome, and it is 19.1 miles to Canton. The thing about this exit is that both of the control cities are a moderate distance from the interstate.

At I-75's Exit 99 (GA SR 300 SOUTH; Ga-Fla Pkwy., Albany), it is 40 miles to Albany, Georgia.

Of course, these aren't too awfully surprising, when you think about the fact that both Rome and Albany are decent-sized cities.

When it comes to interstate-to-interstate interchanges:

When an interstate meets another interstate, control cities are significantly more likely to be a very large distance from the interchange itself. There are many, many examples of this. The largest one that stands out in my mind that I have seen in person is that, if I recall correctly, somewhere on I-75 Southbound near Macon, Georgia, there is a control city for Tampa, Florida (along with Valdosta, GA). After looking for a while, I have been unable to find it on GMSV, but I want to think that I have definitely seen this before.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheHighwayMan3561

I'll do MN again since I understand the criteria better now.

Interstate-to-Interstate:
I-94/494/694 (east) - Madison, WI 255 (Wisconsin uses intermediate destinations upon entering that state such as Eau Claire and Tomah)
I-35/90 - Sioux Falls, 175

Other roads (specifically excluding major cities and generic destinations like "Iron Range"):
US 2 signed for Grand Rapids, 80 miles away, when it exits I-35 in Duluth
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

I know this is a major threadbump, but any of the relevant threads about distant control points are old and this one seemed to fit best.

I was looking at Google Street View and found this sign in South Australia that lists Perth (1481 miles) and Darwin (1689 miles) as the two control points at the intersection up ahead. In reply #132 of this thread I had posted a sign on which all the cities were four-digit distances away, but the sign was in kilometres rather than miles and two of the distances were less than a thousand miles. I found myself wondering how many signs there are, other than the one in South Australia and not counting the odd one-offs for a city at the far end of an Interstate, on which all the destinations are over a thousand miles away.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: chays on May 18, 2016, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 27, 2009, 12:44:09 AM
Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 26, 2009, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on December 26, 2009, 04:53:02 PM
Miami is still mentioned on I-95 and in a few other areas in Petersburg, at the I-85 interchange.

Thank-you StreetView.

A bit over 900 miles, although it's spoiled a bit by sharing billing with Rocky Mount, NC.

Here's a photo of that gantry:

I am WAY late on answering this but "Rocky Mount NC" is also helpful to Virginians because there is a Rocky Mount, VA.

Is there some sort of standard as to when a control city has its state listed as well (i.e. Rocky Mount, NC)?  For consistency, wouldn't Miami need to have "FL" included?  Maybe it is because Miami is so well-known relative to the smaller Rocky Mount.

bluecountry

Quote from: Ian on December 26, 2009, 06:35:18 PM
New York City appears as a control city on I-90/Mass Pike going west at I-84 in Sturbridge, MA, which is a distance of 158 miles. It also appears as a control city on I-95 in Baltimore which is about 187 miles.

Montreal and Buffalo also appear on distance signs on the NY Thruway all the way in Suffern, NY.
I hate that NY is the control city on 95 north of Baltimore, it makes DE inconsistent as 95 there has Wilmington/Philadelphia.

This brings up a question, should 95 north of Baltimore list Wilmington, Philadelphia, or both as the control cities?

I say both given Wilmington is right off the road, decently big, and a major crossroads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.