News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Question for any state DOT engineers out here

Started by ARMOURERERIC, April 16, 2018, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

I am contemplating the purchase of a large farm tract in Burke CO NC.  My goal is the build out of an Ag tourism venue.  I really want to have a left turn/right turn pocket into the property for safety reasons.  How does one start that process.  It is on NC 18 about 20 miles south of morganton.

Bitmapped

I would call NCDOT's district office to inquire.

hbelkins

My recommendation would be to contact the district or regional NCDOT office in that area, explain your plans, and see what they would suggest. It's entirely possible that they would wait until such time that traffic volumes or crash history warrant such an improvement.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

The engineers will draw up the documents for entry/exit per NC's specifications and desires, and issue access permits as they require.

Traffic volumes, sight distances, existing speed limits, existing driveways, underground utilities, future plans in the area and other geometries and factors go into the final decision. As long as you're willing to pay for it, it's reasonable and safe based on what else is nearby and it's fully on land you own or within the right-of-way of what NC owns, they probably won't say no to it.  But they may also say all they want is wider shoulders, or have other suggestions. 

2Co5_14

You may also want to inquire if a traffic study is required for the amount of development you are proposing.  NCDOT will need to have predictions of how much traffic will be using your development, and which directions they will be coming from (even if it is primarily for safety concerns, rather than traffic capacity).  So you might need to hire a consultant traffic engineer to do that, since the DOT's usually only do traffic studies for their own projects.  Before you do that, of course you will need to have a good idea of the scope of your development (square footage of buildings, acres of development, what specific attractions you will have, etc...)  A traffic engineer has to be able to categorize the size and type of development to make accurate traffic calculations and predictions.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2018, 11:41:39 AM
The engineers will draw up the documents for entry/exit per NC's specifications and desires, and issue access permits as they require.

Traffic volumes, sight distances, existing speed limits, existing driveways, underground utilities, future plans in the area and other geometries and factors go into the final decision. As long as you're willing to pay for it, it's reasonable and safe based on what else is nearby and it's fully on land you own or within the right-of-way of what NC owns, they probably won't say no to it.  But they may also say all they want is wider shoulders, or have other suggestions.

I got the impression he was wanting turn lanes built on the state highway, not improvements that he would do on his property regarding the entrance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

2Co5_14

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2018, 03:32:29 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2018, 11:41:39 AM

I got the impression he was wanting turn lanes built on the state highway, not improvements that he would do on his property regarding the entrance.

Typically, even if the improvements are on state highway right-of-way and will continue to belong to the state, the developer has to pay for them since they are creating the need for the project in the first place.

ARMOURERERIC

Thank you for the replies.  I did my first walk of the property this evening and only covered one quarter of it in an hour.  Have so much research to do 36.5 acres, $225k.  There is a 3 year old Dollar General next door that was not required to make any road improvements as well as a massive poultry raising facility across the street whose entrance aligns with the driveway on this lot.  However, another DG was built 10 miles north of here last year and did have to build rudimentary turn pockets both ways on 18.  If I can buy this I plan a vineyard with winery with processing facility and tasting room.  A farmer market store with parking.  An orchard and 5-25 motel style units.  My home along with facilities to raise pastured game bird and process them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.