News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Following Distances

Started by jakeroot, May 17, 2018, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on May 21, 2018, 04:24:42 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2018, 01:35:30 PM
Quote from: kalvado on May 19, 2018, 02:02:49 PM
In either case, I  don't quite understand how to measure distance to another car in car lengths. time is an easier metrics for me. 

You get really close, then have the passenger hook a tape measure onto the vehicle, then drop back until the tape measure reads an appropriate number, then get really close again to unhook the tape measure, then drop back again.

Photos or it didn't happen  :-D
Of course it did!

jakeroot

^^
That first one is the "Full Audi" following distance.

Quote from: kalvado on May 21, 2018, 04:06:46 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 21, 2018, 03:04:06 PM
I was driving in some quick-moving heavy traffic yesterday, and my following distance (along with others) was down to, "one mississi..." Might have been too close.

I hope that was not "one mississi... BOOM! OH SHIT!!!"

Hahaha could have been, had I not been paying attention!

Sam

The New York Thruway recommends three seconds, but it used to recommend a distance that corresponded to two-and-a-half seconds.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/safety/drivingsafety.html

Don't Tailgate
It is dangerous to drive too closely to the vehicle ahead of you. To provide enough space between you and the vehicle ahead of you, use the "three-second rule." Choose an object near or above the road ahead, such as a sign, tree or overpass. As the vehicle ahead passes it, count aloud slowly: "One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three." If you reach the object before you finish counting, you are following too closely. When weather, driving conditions or visibility is poor, increase the count to four or five seconds to allow for more time.

From the 1969 New York Thruway Map:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.