News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Low clearances

Started by D-Dey65, August 30, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Originating from the New York Tri-State area, I'm very familiar with bridges of 9, 8, and even 7, foot clearences. However, in states like Florida, I don't think anybody has ever seen a bridge under 10 feet. I thought about contacting FDOT about this, but before I decide whether or not to do so, does anybody else know what bridges have the lowest clearence in Florida. While we're at it, does anybody know of any less than 10' clearence bridges outside of the northeastern US?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WolfGuy100

D-Dey65

Okay. South Myrtle Avenue in Jacksonville definitley qualifies. Still seems like it would be pretty rare though.

agentsteel53

there's an 8'6 somewhere in northern CA but I cannot remember where.  it's a truss bridge, with an extra metal bar welded to the new, lower height so that trucks do not attempt the crossing.  this is because the bridge cannot support the truck's weight.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

By the way, the center part of the Jacksonville underpass carried trolleys back in the day.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html may be useful, but incomplete and outdated (the one it lists in Jacksonville was under the old Fuller Warren Bridge).

McCoys Creek Boulevard looks to have a low underpass, but I can't find any signs for it.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brian556

There used to be a 6 FT 6 IN CLEARANCE u-turn underpass under I-35E south of Vista Ridge Mall in Lewisville, Tx. It was appearenty a u-turn that was "jerry-rigged" under a bridge that was originally intended to just be over a creek. This setup was eliminated several years ago.

1995hoo

There's one in Charlottesville that is exactly 10 feet at the corner of University Avenue and 14th Street; it's a railroad overpass once called "Score Bridge" (because people used to paint the scores of UVA football wins on it) and in addition to the height sign it has flashing lights and a loud bell that sounds when an overheight vehicle approaches.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

The maximum height allowed on the Wheeling Suspension Bridge in West Virginia is 8 feet.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

getemngo

Sault Ste. Marie, MI has an 8'11" railroad underpass on a side street.

This obviously doesn't fit the under 10 foot criteria, but check out how many accidents have occurred at a single bridge: http://11foot8.com/
~ Sam from Michigan

D-Dey65

Nice link, NE2. Although on the list for New York, it claims that the LIRR Main Line bridge over Route 112 in Medford is 13'9". http://www.aitaonline.com/Info/Low%20Clearances.html#New York Low Clearances

Signs at the bridge have been saying it's 12'9" before I was even born.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:12_foot_9_railroad_bridge_over_NY_112.JPG

NE2

Perhaps it's actually 13'9" but signs say 12'9" to give some margin of error?

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2011, 11:15:14 PM
Perhaps it's actually 13'9" but signs say 12'9" to give some margin of error?
You're guess is as good as mine. I honestly have no idea why this discrepancy exists here.

citrus

I seem to recall that NY posts 1 foot less than the actual clearance. There's a rail bridge in Owego that at one point had a small "Actual clearance" sign off to the side that was 1 foot more than the sign on the bridge said.

newyorker478

What is the lowest clearance of any road or highway bridge you have seen? Living around New York, the lowest I can remember phisycally seeing was 6'10" in various spot, the Hutch in Mount Vernon the only one i think I can remember right now. What about you?

Ian

Quote from: citrus on August 30, 2011, 11:18:18 PM
I seem to recall that NY posts 1 foot less than the actual clearance. There's a rail bridge in Owego that at one point had a small "Actual clearance" sign off to the side that was 1 foot more than the sign on the bridge said.

There are a number of bridges along the Northway (I-87) that have the "Actual clearance" signs, mostly around the Plattsburgh area.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

NE2

Here's a 2 m (6'6") in Calgary: http://maps.google.ca/?ll=51.043438,-114.043257&spn=0.00599,0.016512&layer=c&cbll=51.043206,-114.043478&panoid=L3gGUpWL_0DSI4sXLTF8rw&cbp=12,31.25,,0,-0.2&z=17&vpsrc=0

There's also at least one 2 m in Sydney. Anyone know of any lower ones (on public roads that motor vehicles are allowed on)?

Scott5114

6' 6"? Amazing. There are some people taller than that clearance.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ftballfan

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 31, 2011, 02:05:36 AM
6' 6"? Amazing. There are some people taller than that clearance.
Including a volleyball player friend of mine. Even I would almost hit that, as I am 6'1".

Zmapper

There are some 6' 8" underpasses on the bike paths around here. Even though I am not that tall, I always feel like I am going to hit my head when travelling through.

xcellntbuy

My God that is a low bridge.  I am only one inch shorter.

Sykotyk

A Texas frontage road (I think on US75 has a 7'3 clearance doing a horseshoe under the highway). PA-58 has a short bridge (too lazy to look up height) in Jamestown PA at the intersection with US-322. It's an arch railroad bridge. The true height depends on how wide the vehicle trying to squeeze under it.

Post Merge: September 02, 2011, 07:57:17 PM

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 30, 2011, 11:40:37 PM
Quote from: citrus on August 30, 2011, 11:18:18 PM

There are a number of bridges along the Northway (I-87) that have the "Actual clearance" signs, mostly around the Plattsburgh area.

Bingo. NY signs bridges 12" less than the actual clearance. If there's a discrepancy, they post another sign giving the 'actual clearance'. And a bridge on top of a bridge gets signed 2-feet off. Hence the 12'2 bridge on the BQE easily handling a 13'6 truck.

And NY wonders why so many truckers top their trailers on bridges in that state. Sign the bridges at the real 'able to clear' height, and maybe they wouldn't be having such a problem.

Although, to be fair most states post bridges lower than they really are to scare off people from hitting them. Texas goes 3" lower than actual.

english si

There's a railway overbridge at Starcross in Devon over a private driveway (for a sailing club) that's not much more than 5'. I've seen cars go through it, just about fitting, trailing boats that also struggle to fit.

Also walked through it - I'm rather short and even when I was 12 (and small for a 12-year old), I had to duck slightly.

Also rather loud when a train goes over it.

This one in Scotland (that I got from searching lowest bridge in SABRE) is signed as 4'9" - roughly the same height, as there's the rounding down, but on a public road. It's a canal that passes over it.

jdb1234

There is a 9'7" clearance at the eastern portal to the tunnel under the site of the old train station on Messer Airport Highway in Birmingham.

formulanone

There's a 7'11" by the Cobo Center in Detroit, which is a span that allows for parking lots to connect. Was driving a rental Ford Escape at the time, and my first concern was "Crap! I'm going to break off the antenna" about 5 milliseconds after I'd started going beneath it. Thank goodness for the glass-embedded antennae or "roof lumps" on most modern cars.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.