News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 08, 2022, 11:05:49 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 07, 2022, 12:30:02 PM
one of the scungiest trailer parks in my town is called 'stone crest'.

of course, we can't call them trailer parks. now they're 'manufactured home communities'. generally inhabited by 'justice-involved' people.
Actually, there's a genuine difference between the two. The mobile homes are the stuff you see in trailer parks. The manufactured homes are two halves of a house hauled on trailers that are removed when they get to a designated spot and attached together.

I'd love to see a tandem of manufactured homes someday.  :)

The place that I'm talking about does not have these types of homes they are just trailers but they still call with a manufactured home community now. Even though it is a very scuzzy place
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Flint1979

We call mobile homes double wides here.

D-Dey65

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 09, 2022, 01:13:29 AM
The place that I'm talking about does not have these types of homes they are just trailers but they still call with a manufactured home community now. Even though it is a very scuzzy place
Yeah, I knew there was some political correctness in your post. I just wanted to remind people who didn't know that there was a real distinction.

I'm reminded of a scene from "Up the Down Staircase," where Sylvia Barrett asks her students how she can contact the janitor about a broken window in her classroom, and one of the kids replies sarcastically. "Custodian. This is a very classy school."

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 09, 2022, 07:05:05 AM
We call mobile homes double wides here.

Who knew my rear end was a mobile home?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

CtrlAltDel

I-10 connects to I-20 connects to I-30 connects to I-40.

Also, I-80 runs concurrent with I-90 for a good ways.

This leaves I-70 as the only 2DI X0 that's all by itself.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 12, 2022, 12:21:23 PM

Interesting thought. 

Sometimes I do consider I-70 reaching California (particularly Los Angeles) in the same fashion as I-40 does, just over a much longer route, making I-10 and I-70 indirectly connected.  I know that doesn't count at all to your scenario, but it is used for Southern California traffic originating at points on the I-70 corridor.  I guess you can say that about the whole system though. 

Takumi

Remember that brief period in the late 1990s when swing music was really popular, then just disappeared again seemingly overnight? That was weird.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SkyPesos

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 12, 2022, 12:21:23 PM

I-70 used to run concurrently with I-80S on the PA turnpike, before I-80S got renumbered to I-76, so at one point, every x0 met another one.

D-Dey65

Who here has seen the 1974 Martin Scorsese movie "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore?"

Is it just me, or does the opening segment make you feel like you're being repeatedly pulled into the screen? It would take a lot to convince me that watching this segment doesn't require being on some kind of hallucinogenic chemicals.

GenExpwy

Just learned this:
Gary Numan is 13 days older than Gary Oldman.

Scott5114

The National Weather Service website has a map that uses ESRI tiles. I noticed this unusual "mountain peak" in south Oklahoma City, so I zoomed in.

Anyone who's familiar with that part of OKC could tell you...that's not a mountain, that's the OKC dump!  :-D
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 19, 2022, 03:22:46 AM
The National Weather Service website has a map that uses ESRI tiles. I noticed this unusual "mountain peak" in south Oklahoma City, so I zoomed in.

Anyone who's familiar with that part of OKC could tell you...that's not a mountain, that's the OKC dump!  :-D

All it takes is a bit of prettying up to turn it into a real hill, though!

We turned a rubble pile in a gasification plant into a great sledding hill.

I-55

Quote from: Bruce on January 19, 2022, 05:01:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 19, 2022, 03:22:46 AM

All it takes is a bit of prettying up to turn it into a real hill, though!

We turned a rubble pile in a gasification plant into a great sledding hill.

Looks like RTGame has a new favorite terraforming tool: DUMPS
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Flint1979

I'm not sure where to put this but it was kind of a random thought so I thought it would go here. I went to Flint yesterday to eat lunch and decided to drive around the city with my buddy and show him some of the worst parts of Flint. I got gas at the Marathon gas station on Davison and Lynch and was approached by a guy that was begging people for money his exact words to me were, "I'm trying to get my me, my three daughters and my wife some food." Right away I said I can't help ya sorry and he walked away. Then I decided to get out of the area a little bit to get away from him I had no idea what he was up to. So I went up to the old Kroger lot on Davison and Franklin and sat there for a minute before leaving. I then proceeded to go south on Franklin and turn on Kentucky Avenue after I noticed a burned out building a few blocks away that I wanted to get closer to.

As I drove down Kentucky Avenue the evidence of a truly abandoned city came front and center. The first house was burned all the way through, across the street on the north side of the street was where it looked real bad, there were a few houses here and there on the block between Franklin and Vernon that were occupied but most of them were in a pretty sad state. The building that I noticed was an old school called Washington Elementary School and it is being demolished after sitting vacant since 2014. I wanted to know more about the building so I came home and googled the area and come to find out the building caught on fire in October and is now being demolished. The building was built in 1921 so it is now 101 years old. After these schools close they are never going to be reused as schools and it is pretty sad that they end up like this. Flint has lost a lot of population over the last 60 years (a city of 196,000 in 1960 today has around 85,000). A lot of abandoned homes in this city, it actually reminded me of Detroit in the 1990's and 2000's.

This is an article about the school I'm talking about.
https://flintbeat.com/fire-ravages-former-flint-elementary-school/

kenarmy

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 21, 2022, 05:41:24 AM
I'm not sure where to put this but it was kind of a random thought so I thought it would go here. I went to Flint yesterday to eat lunch and decided to drive around the city with my buddy and show him some of the worst parts of Flint. I got gas at the Marathon gas station on Davison and Lynch and was approached by a guy that was begging people for money his exact words to me were, "I'm trying to get my me, my three daughters and my wife some food." Right away I said I can't help ya sorry and he walked away. Then I decided to get out of the area a little bit to get away from him I had no idea what he was up to. So I went up to the old Kroger lot on Davison and Franklin and sat there for a minute before leaving. I then proceeded to go south on Franklin and turn on Kentucky Avenue after I noticed a burned out building a few blocks away that I wanted to get closer to.

As I drove down Kentucky Avenue the evidence of a truly abandoned city came front and center. The first house was burned all the way through, across the street on the north side of the street was where it looked real bad, there were a few houses here and there on the block between Franklin and Vernon that were occupied but most of them were in a pretty sad state. The building that I noticed was an old school called Washington Elementary School and it is being demolished after sitting vacant since 2014. I wanted to know more about the building so I came home and googled the area and come to find out the building caught on fire in October and is now being demolished. The building was built in 1921 so it is now 101 years old. After these schools close they are never going to be reused as schools and it is pretty sad that they end up like this. Flint has lost a lot of population over the last 60 years (a city of 196,000 in 1960 today has around 85,000). A lot of abandoned homes in this city, it actually reminded me of Detroit in the 1990's and 2000's.

This is depressing. Unfortunately, it looks Jackson, Ms is going down the same path. And the crime rate is terrible. The amount of times I hear gunshots when I visit my grandma..
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

What amazes me is how cities like Detroit and Flint lost over half their population the last half century when the overall human has tripled during the same time period.  Historically declines like that would have only been caused by war or disease. 

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2022, 09:24:16 AM
What amazes me is how cities like Detroit and Flint lost over half their population the last half century when the overall human has tripled during the same time period.  Historically declines like that would have only been caused by war or disease.
And East St. Louis.

Flint1979

Quote from: kenarmy on January 21, 2022, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 21, 2022, 05:41:24 AM

This is depressing. Unfortunately, it looks Jackson, Ms is going down the same path. And the crime rate is terrible. The amount of times I hear gunshots when I visit my grandma..
I'm not familiar with Jackson but the surrounding areas of Flint aren't as bad, like Grand Blanc is nice, Flushing is nice, Swartz Creek is nice, Davison is nice, Clio is nice, Fenton is nice and Flint Township isn't bad either. Flint itself isn't the greatest place but it isn't totally bad like the entire city it's just these off the beaten path neighborhoods that are in bad shape, parts of Burton are bad but the further you get away from Flint it becomes a lot better, Mount Morris is another one that is bad in areas. After I came back to Saginaw yesterday my first reaction was wow this city is in much better shape in it's worst areas than Flint is. Flint used to be a nice city when the auto industry was booming, they had 80,000 GM workers in the late 1970's, today they are lucky if they have 5,000 GM workers in Flint.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 21, 2022, 09:24:16 AM
I guess it's crime, schooling and jobs that have led to the mass decline of these cities, at least those are major factors. And it's not just Detroit and Flint but the entire state. Michigan hasn't had any true growth since the 1960's, since 1980 the largest percentage of growth was 6.9% between 1990 and 2000 as well as a loss of 0.6% between 2000 and 2010. The state finally cracked 10 million in population in the 2020 census. This state has only added 1.2 million new residents since 1970 which comes out to an average of 24,000 per year, that is totally ridiculous.

Now compare it to Georgia which is roughly the same size as Michigan, a little bigger but not by much. Georgia has doubled it's population in the same time period. I think it's really depressing living in Michigan anymore, the winter's suck and all the major cities seem to be in decline except for maybe Grand Rapids which is the only major city in the state that currently has it's peak population of all time. I think if I was moving to Michigan today I'd move to the Grand Rapids area.

TheHighwayMan3561

Detroit and Flint put all their eggs in one basket (automaking). They're the closure of the small-town plant on an outsized scale.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tolbs17

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 21, 2022, 11:22:27 AM
Detroit and Flint put all their eggs in one basket (automaking). They're the closure of the small-town plant on an outsized scale.
During the automotive decline in the 70s, Northeast Detroit and Harper Woods were still affluent until the mid 2000s. Now it's rundown.

Grosse Pointe on the other hand, is still going strong.

SkyPesos

Cincinnati is the most populous metro area without a California Pizza Kitchen and second largest (after Pittsburgh) without a Shake Shack.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 30, 2022, 07:25:28 PM
Cincinnati is the most populous metro area without a California Pizza Kitchen... <snipped>

Of course, that is because LaRosa's uses provolone instead of mozzarella.  No need for anything other than Cincinnati-style pizza.

Flint1979

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 21, 2022, 09:19:19 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 21, 2022, 11:22:27 AM
During the automotive decline in the 70s, Northeast Detroit and Harper Woods were still affluent until the mid 2000s. Now it's rundown.

Grosse Pointe on the other hand, is still going strong.
Northeast Detroit and Harper Woods started going downhill in the 70's. The area between Kelly and Schoenherr south of 8 Mile has long been one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city of Detroit with 7 Mile and Gratiot being a crime ridden area and it's been that way for quite awhile. Detroit has come back quite well though since Mike Duggan has been mayor.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Takumi on January 16, 2022, 03:44:33 PM
Remember that brief period in the late 1990s when swing music was really popular, then just disappeared again seemingly overnight? That was weird.
That trend emerged from Third-wave Ska music, believe it or not. However, Joe Jackson tried to start a swing revival in 1981 with his "Jumpin' Jive" album, and it wasn't as well-received.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.