"Merge Lane Ends" signs in Georgia for on Ramps.

Started by Napsterbater, October 07, 2019, 05:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napsterbater

So I'm new here but I was curious on everyone's thoughts on this.

This is something I've seen over the past couple months on I-20 in Georgia. Instead of having right lane ends merge left or the opposite and then having a symbolic or diagram sign past it showing the same I've seen them start to use these. With no definition of which lane is ending. Even though the line striping further down the road makes it clear it is a specific lane ending in not like both of them coming together equally if that makes any sense.

These are on on ramps that start out with two lanes and merge down to one. And these signs are where you would typically see right lane ends or left lane ends merge left or right.

And I did look in the MUTCD and found nothing, though I know Georgia has their own thing.

What is everybody else's thoughts on this?

Pixel 3a XL

Brian556

ErmineNotyours

Washington State has converted entirely to symbolic merge signs, while British Columbia, which has so many symbolic Canadian signs, still spells out "MERGE".

Revive 755

Too vague - it could be misinterpreted as not having an auxiliary lane on the mainline after the ramp connects.  They should be specify whether the right hand or left hand lane ends on the ramp.  Or use something along the lines of 'form single lane' if they want to try to equalize traffic in the two lanes prior to the merge.

jakeroot

I literally have no idea how to interpret the sign. What is the "merge lane"?

My thought was that the right lane on the on-ramp might have originated as part of a slip lane, and the sign was indicating to that lane (ostensibly a "merge" lane) that their lane ends. But that's a stretch, and I'm sure the sign has more to do with the freeway merge than something else.

Napsterbater

Here is the location on SV
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8HTVJmrWg9GS87VD9

You will find these signs on many of the on ramps that have two lanes on I20 from MP 98 to I think around 148, they maybe in other areas of GA but I'm not sure.

In the past a Right lane ends, would have been here with a diagram sign further ahead just like you would find on a normal road with a lane ending. And while a few of these have a diagram sign beyond it, most don't, either because they never did or they were knocked down and not replaced.

This is definitely referring to the ramp lanes merging together and not the acceleration lane.

I agree that it is ambiguous, and makes drivers assume which lane is ending. And while most times it is the Right lane, it is not always the right.

In reality, I feel most of these two lane ramps should just be one, drivers rarely turn into the correct lane anyways, even if there is an island, But if they are going to be two merging into the signage should be clear IMO.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.