News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ready for the blizzard?

Started by J Route Z, January 26, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Route Z

3 feet of snow expected in NYC. How many people are calling out tomorrow (Jan. 27)

hotdogPi

No school tomorrow or the day after.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

algorerhythms

roadman

In Massachusetts, Governor Baker declared a state of emergency about 11 am today, and instructed non-emergency" state employees to stay home tomorrow.  Statewide travel ban on all roads goes into effect at midnight, and the Boston area transit system will be completely closed on Tuesday.

Latest forecasts are for between 24 to 30 inches of snow, with a high possibility of coastal flooding.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Zeffy

I kinda wanted to go out for dinner tonight, but I'm not risking shit. I swear, my luck is beyond garbage - barely any significant snow up to this point, and then suddenly the week of my birthday there is a freak snowstorm.

I suppose it beats my last birthday though, by a long shot.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Pete from Boston

Even if there were not a travel ban, you wouldn't be going to work here tomorrow unless lives depended on it.  I told everyone not to expect to work until Thursday and even that and Friday will probably be slow to get back up to speed. 

I have food and booze, and as long as the power stays on, sanity. 

PHLBOS

In the Philly area, SEPTA announced that it will run on a Saturday schedule for its Regional (commuter) Rail lines tomorrow; meaning that there the Cynwyd line trains will not be running.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

At this stage, practically all forms of travel are closed or prohibited across NYC and Long Island, including bus, subway, rail, bicycle and motor vehicle, as of 11pm. That includes the MTA and PA crossings, city streets and highways, the Staten Island Ferry, and all railroads except Amtrak.

hotdogPi

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on January 26, 2015, 07:01:32 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 26, 2015, 07:00:14 PMand all railroads except Amtrak.

What about freight trains?

Almost none operate within the area described, even on a normal day. Those that do are subsidiary to the commuter railroads, so I would bet they're not working either.

froggie

The DOW (Doppler On Wheels) is in the Boston area.  We almost sent a team down from the college today to assist them during the storm, but we cancelled this afternoon.

Zeffy

I'm calling this storm a flop for central and southern New Jersey - totals were supposed to be 10-18 inches in my area, and now TWC is showing only an accumulation of barely an inch for the rest of the night. Evidently, the storm must've reversed it's course too late so only the coastal areas as well as Massachusetts in general are getting whumped by it.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Duke87

So basically the storm tracked a bit further east than predicted and is dumping the worst of its snow in the ocean. And to think we have a travel ban with transit service shut down for this. Womp womp.

As for calliing out, I work from home most days, so as long as I have power and internet my job is not affected unless a meeting gets canceled on account of the weather (but then I still do other work instead).

My girlfriend meanwhile had her job send everyone home early today and cancel work entirely tomorrow, so she gets some free paid time off.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ARMOURERERIC

Just talked to 2 different clients in Nashua who stated they are in blizzard conditions

JakeFromNewEngland

No school for me until Thursday. As I'm typing this, it's super windy and the snow has stopped. I think the worst of it is going to hit within the next few hours. They originally said we would get anywhere between 24-36 inches, but that is slowly dropping down to 18-25 with possible areas over 3 feet. As of now, we probably have around 5-6 inches of snow.

Duke87

1 AM update from Queens: it's snowing, but peacefully. Very little wind, and it's not coming down like the dickens. In the past 24 hours I'd guesstimate we've accumulated 6 inches or so.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bugo

Tomorrow's high in Tulsa is forecast to be 72 degrees. Suck it, northeasterners.

Alps

By the end of everything it'll be no larger than a chihuahua's head.

jeffandnicole

I'm sitting in my plow truck reading this. I'm just on I-295 in South Jersey. Not a flake on the road. Travel ban on effect. Traffic is lighter than normal (considering it's normally very light anyway at 1:30am) but there is a little out here, moving at normal speeds.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on January 27, 2015, 01:02:53 AM
1 AM update from Queens: it's snowing, but peacefully. Very little wind, and it's not coming down like the dickens. In the past 24 hours I'd guesstimate we've accumulated 6 inches or so.

Similar conditions in the Bronx: an abundant, tranquil snowfall, the dog and I romping in the middle of our normally busy streets. But we're only two hours into the warned period so far, and the snow bands have been tracking this way, so we'll see what the morning brings.

jakeroot

The only way Seattle ever gets a big snow event is when we get a cold arctic blast from Canada meeting a pineapple express from Hawaii (below):

The problem is that the pineapple express contains warm air from Hawaii, and for whatever reason, the warm air usually wins and it usually just snows for 20 minutes before changing to rain.

In short, I've never experienced a "blizzard". The most amount of snow I've ever seen at my home was 10 inches in December 2008, which fell over the course of three days.

Today, the 26th of January of 2015, it was 62 degrees Fahrenheit in Seattle and sunny, and I was walking around with short sleeves and no jacket. Eventually, the trend will end, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

PHLBOS

For the metro-Philly area; this blizzard was largely a bust.  As mentioned earlier, SEPTA ran a Saturday schedule for its Regional Rail lines; which meant the inbound train I was on was packed and was forced to express/pass by 3 stations (due to crowding) prior to reaching the University City station.

Due to NJ's statewide driving ban; not one co-worker from South Jersey made it in; unless they lived within walking distance of a PATCO station.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

New Jersey is definitely one of the biggest losers in this, with snowfall now totaling up to less than a foot of snow. NJ Transit should be starting up again, I know the Raritan Valley Line should be started soon or already did. Travel ban is lifted entirely. Most schools closed anyway in anticipation for the monster storm that wasn't.

On the other hand, Long Island, Eastern Connecticut, Massachusetts, Boston, and everything north of Boston seem to be getting slammed by the storm. So it wasn't a total bust - it was a bust for Eastern Pennsylvania and all of New Jersey, as well as the New York City metro area.

JakeFromNewEngland

I think this blizzard was hyped way too much. Different snow total models with varying numbers probably didn't help either. We got around 10 inches of snow. Eastern CT got hit the worst. NWS still shows us as in the 18-24 inch range but I highly doubt that we will even get a foot.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Zeffy on January 27, 2015, 10:38:22 AM
On the other hand, Long Island, Eastern Connecticut, Massachusetts, Boston, and everything north of Boston seem to be getting slammed by the storm.

Rhode Island isn't listed. How was Rhode Island able to not get hit by it? How much did they have to pay in order to bribe the storm not to come to them, or was it just chance?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.