News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I hate this song!

Started by allniter89, October 05, 2014, 03:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

In the name of AASHTO, don't skewer me here, but Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen of course. It's overplayed and its 'genius' is justit's three songs smashed into one. It's a rare opinion, I know.  :rolleyes:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

7/8

Quote from: kurumi on July 12, 2016, 10:51:17 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 12, 2016, 01:07:01 PM
I personally dislike the song "Lookin' Out for #1" by BTO. They play it a fair bit here, since (35%?) of music on Canadian radio stations has to be Canadian.

They should mix in more Rush (there are a bunch of songs in 7/8 time)

Q107 in Toronto plays a lot of Rush :) Unfortunately, the signal isn't the best in Uptown and the west end of Waterloo  :-/

I was going to list "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel and "Money" by Pink Floyd as 7/8 songs, but apparently they're 7/4  :pan:

paulthemapguy

Quote from: 7/8 on July 13, 2016, 07:19:27 AM
I personally dislike the song "Lookin' Out for #1" by BTO. They play it a fair bit here, since (35%?) of music on Canadian radio stations has to be Canadian.

Q107 in Toronto plays a lot of Rush :) Unfortunately, the signal isn't the best in Uptown and the west end of Waterloo  :-/

I was going to list "Solsbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel and "Money" by Pink Floyd as 7/8 songs, but apparently they're 7/4  :pan:

We should just say "songs that are in 7," then we don't have to worry about that irrelevant second number  :D
I have a particular interest in songs that are in odd key signatures..I made a list on Spotify.
Songs in 7:
"Dreaming in Metaphors" by Seal
"Ethiopia" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Anagram" by Young the Giant
The solo section of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush
"2+2=5" by Radiohead
"Demons" by The National
The solo section of "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
and of course "Money" from Pink Floyd

Wikipedia also has a much more complete list, but these are just songs I like/have.
Yes also messes with time signatures a lot too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

7/8

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 25, 2016, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 13, 2016, 07:19:27 AM

We should just say "songs that are in 7," then we don't have to worry about that irrelevant second number  :D
I have a particular interest in songs that are in odd key signatures..I made a list on Spotify.
Songs in 7:
"Dreaming in Metaphors" by Seal
"Ethiopia" by Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Anagram" by Young the Giant
The solo section of "Tom Sawyer" by Rush
"2+2=5" by Radiohead
"Demons" by The National
The solo section of "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead
and of course "Money" from Pink Floyd

Wikipedia also has a much more complete list, but these are just songs I like/have.
Yes also messes with time signatures a lot too.

Other interesting time signatures:

"Turn It On Again" by Genesis: Uses 9/4 and 13/4 time
"Firth of Fifth" also by Genesis: The piano and synth solos use 13/16 > 2/4 > 15/16 > 2/4
"Perpetual Changes" by Yes: The intro is in 10/4, the organ solo is in 7/4, what I would call the "main guitar riff" is in 14/4, with most of the song being in 3/4

Maybe, I'll listen to prog music on my iPod to find some more. And for the record, despite the topic title, I like all three of these songs!

EDIT (10:56am):
I'll add,
"Cinema Show" by Genesis: 4/4 in the first half, 7/4 in the second half
The Mission Impossible theme song is in 5/4. It was difficult, but fun playing this in the high school concert band :)

(11:21am):
Also,
"Thela Hun Ginjeet" by King Crimson: The song is 4/4, but Robert Fripp's guitar is somtimes in 7/8
The crown jewel, "Discipline" also by King Crimson. From Wikipedia,

QuoteThere are two main guitars (one played by Robert Fripp the other by Adrian Belew) which are often in a different time signature, giving the song a chaotic and intense feel. Many times the guitars play similar patterns, but one drops a note making them go either out of sync or change time signatures. During the piece the two guitars of Belew and Fripp, respectively, move through the following sequence of pairs of time signatures: 5/8 and 5/8, 5/8 and 4/4, 5/8 and 9/8, 15/16 and 15/16, 15/16 and 14/16, 10/8 and 20/16, 15/16 and 15/16, 15/16 and 14/16, 12/16 and 12/16, 12/16 and 11/16, 15/16 and 15/16, 15/16 and 14/16. Throughout the drums play in 17/16

roadman65

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 12, 2016, 11:08:42 PM
In the name of AASHTO, don't skewer me here, but Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen of course. It's overplayed and its 'genius' is justit's three songs smashed into one. It's a rare opinion, I know.  :rolleyes:
Sounds to me like it was Freddie Mercury hating his life.  The line "sometimes I wish I never been born at all"  freaks me out along with "Carry on" as it implies that maybe he was conteplating suicide at the time the song was produced.

Yes its overplayed and needs to join the Blinded By The Light Club along with many others like Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd (the live version is the kick ass version anyway, but radio stations for whatever reason like to market the studio version), and even Rock You Like A Hurricane by the Scorps.

I like all the songs, do not get me wrong, except for Blinded By The Light which a could give a rat's tale about, but some songs just get ruined with repetitive air play.  Considering the Scorpions have lots of great hits they could sure alternate some into the mix.  Heck what about Still Loving You?  I have not heard any radio station play that in well over 20 years!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

I wonder if there's a higher correlation between roadgeekery and appreciation of odd meter. Or it could be confirmation bias.

We saw Vienna Teng in concert a few weekends ago. Stanford grad, engineer; music is a second career in a way. Your first impression before hearing anything might be "Starbucks CD". But "Harbor" is in 5/4, "Level Up" is in 7/4, and a few other songs with prog moments and interesting chord changes, and I have to admit, that's the hook that brought me in.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

paulthemapguy

Quote from: roadman65 on July 25, 2016, 12:09:06 PM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on July 12, 2016, 11:08:42 PM
Sounds to me like it was Freddie Mercury hating his life.  The line "sometimes I wish I never been born at all"  freaks me out along with "Carry on" as it implies that maybe he was contemplating suicide at the time the song was produced.

Bohemian Rhapsody was a rock opera.  He was playing a character.  He wasn't singing about himself.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kurumi on July 25, 2016, 12:11:16 PM
I wonder if there's a higher correlation between roadgeekery and appreciation of odd meter. Or it could be confirmation bias.

I like odd meter, but interesting chord progression is much more important to me.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jp the roadgeek

The Grateful Dead have a lot of songs in odd meters

Estimated Prophet is in 7/4
The Eleven is so named because it is in 11/4 time
Truckin and The Other One are in 12/8 time

There's a section of By-Tor and the Snow Dog by Rush called 7/4 War Furor so called for it's time signature. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

The big one:  Take Five by Dave Brubeck (5/4).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Rothman on July 28, 2016, 09:53:50 AM
The big one:  Take Five by Dave Brubeck (5/4).
Also Dave Brubeck's Rondo ala Turk, which is in 9/8 (2+2+2+3)
I'd love to make this a separate thread lol (if the discussion goes on any longer)

Quote from: 1 on July 25, 2016, 12:52:11 PM
I like odd meter, but interesting chord progression is much more important to me.
Quote from: kurumi on July 25, 2016, 12:11:16 PM

Different meters and chord progressions...These are the things I'm most interested in.  People on this forum, including me, love to analyze global systems...Music is another global system for us to analyze.

capt.ron

Stuck here in the middle of you is a song I despise. Guaranteed to harsh anyone's buzz.

hbelkins

That stupid "all about the bass" song.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on August 04, 2016, 09:52:07 PM

I will expand that to basically every Meghan Trainor song, most specifically "Dear Future Husband", "No", and "Me Too".
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Brian556

The only song of Megan Trainor's that I like is "Marvin Gaye", her duet with Charlie Puth. It is really good.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Brian556 on August 05, 2016, 02:00:19 PM
The only song of Megan Trainor's that I like is "Marvin Gaye", her duet with Charlie Puth. It is really good.

I have seen it compared to "Afternoon Delight" by the Starland Vocal Band.  I do not believe that is a good thing.

Also IMO, Charlie Puth is not on my good side either with his best performance being on the chorus of "See You Again" with Wiz Khalifa.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jwolfer

Quote from: hbelkins on August 04, 2016, 09:52:07 PM
https://youtu.be/iyTTX6Wlf1Y

This is a 1940s style version of that song I really like

CNGL-Leudimin

I dislike Kimigayo (Japanese anthem) and God Save the Queen (British anthem, and by extension Oben am jungen Rhein, the anthem of Liechtenstein, as it has the same tune) as I don't find them suitable for national anthems. Heck, I would like the former to be played at my funeral, no offense intended. Also, while I respect it as it is the anthem of my country, I don't like the Marcha Real simply because it has no lyrics.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

c172

Quote from: mgk920 on November 12, 2014, 11:55:20 AM
A few that will make me change the radio station as quickly as possible:

-Nena - '99 Luft balloons (99 Red Balloons)'
-Right Said Fred - 'I'm Too Sexy'
-Bruce Hornsby and the Range - 'The Way It Is'
-Men Without Hats - 'I Wanna Be A Cowboy'
-Anything by Barbara Streisand
(more titles as I think of them)

Mike

That song seems like it would be done by MWH, but I can't find it. Was it actually Boys Don't Cry?

It's a little goofy, I must admit. But this bugs me worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0goIr8e2-l4

Heard it once BLASTING over the PA at a fast food burger joint (Jack in the Box). I thought it was some no-name MUZAK-only artist.

US 41

Cheap Thrills is pretty bad. I can't wait until I don't have to hear it on the radio anymore.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mgk920

Quote from: c172 on October 05, 2016, 02:32:20 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 12, 2014, 11:55:20 AM
A few that will make me change the radio station as quickly as possible:

-Nena - '99 Luft balloons (99 Red Balloons)'
-Right Said Fred - 'I'm Too Sexy'
-Bruce Hornsby and the Range - 'The Way It Is'
-Men Without Hats - 'I Wanna Be A Cowboy'
-Anything by Barbara Streisand
(more titles as I think of them)

Mike

That song seems like it would be done by MWH, but I can't find it. Was it actually Boys Don't Cry?

Yea, you're right - IMHO, that song is soooooo bad that I forgot which of those short-lived 1980s acts did it.

:meh:

Mike

c172

Hadn't heard it for a long time. Thanks (I guess) for jogging my memory.  :pan:

jp the roadgeek

Didn't realize they had another song other than The Safety Dance.

You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone makes me want to  :banghead:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

amroad17

^ That is one song one could get diabetes just by listening to it.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura on October 06, 2014, 07:56:41 AM

Quote from: national highway 1 on October 06, 2014, 02:01:51 AM
Wiggle-Jason Derulo

I use to hate this song, but once I realized that no one in the song and video is taking themselves seriously, it became a lot more fun.

I have a friend from college who reviews pop songs online, and he's hilarious has a pretty decent following. His name is Todd in the Shadows. I bring him up because he reviewed four of the songs you mentioned and was not a fan of any of them.

iPhone

Of course I found Todd (he is back on YouTube/Vimeo now that Blip shut down) way before I actually looked in this thread. (though after this post)  Ironically, he used "Wiggle" as a part of his explanation of why "Marvin Gaye" by Charlie Puth ft. Meghan Trainor was his number one worst song of 2015.

Quote from: US 41 on October 05, 2016, 01:20:55 PM
Cheap Thrills is pretty bad. I can't wait until I don't have to hear it on the radio anymore.

Todd recently reviewed this one along with "This Is What You Came For" by Calvin Harris ft Rihanna. (as "Cheap Thrills" was written by Sia for Rihanna)

I have noticed that I feel like something is missing when I hear the version without Sean Paul for some reason. (though I am unsure why he is on a remix in the first place, or has a guest verse on a Little Mix song called "Hair")

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.