Gen Xers and older millennials really just want to go back in time to before the

Started by ZLoth, June 15, 2023, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

On one of the occasions where I've rented a car in England, I ended up with a 5-door Mercedes hatchback. I didn't have it for nearly enough time to learn about all the bells and whistles; in fact, it's not a great car to end up with if you only need it for a short period of time, since it will take longer to figure out how to do basic things like tuning the radio than it would in a non-luxury car.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 29, 2023, 09:59:53 PM
On one of the occasions where I've rented a car in England, I ended up with a 5-door Mercedes hatchback. I didn't have it for nearly enough time to learn about all the bells and whistles; in fact, it's not a great car to end up with if you only need it for a short period of time, since it will take longer to figure out how to do basic things like tuning the radio than it would in a non-luxury car.

Heh. Back in January when I rented a Tesla in Florida, I had bookmarked the owner's manual on my phone and my iPad. I was glad I did because it was very dissimilar to driving a normal car in a lot of ways. Overall I liked it, but the reliance on the center screen for pretty much everything was a bit excessive.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

On the rare occasions I get a European rental car (maybe 1-2 times a year), I usually have to spend about 15 minutes figuring out where most secondary/tertiary controls are located or how to operate them to my liking.

Primary: start/stop engine, transmission, go/stop, lighting, seat position, mirrors...mostly the same in every modern vehicle but sometimes the controls don't fall into the exact same places. Getting Bluetooth set up is important but sometimes unnecessary. Pretty much everything after that, I'll figure out later but there's been a handful of times I've looked up online about "how to enable/disable ____" and someone has usually figured it out online.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2023, 08:03:09 AM

Heh. Back in January when I rented a Tesla in Florida, I had bookmarked the owner's manual on my phone and my iPad. I was glad I did because it was very dissimilar to driving a normal car in a lot of ways. Overall I liked it, but the reliance on the center screen for pretty much everything was a bit excessive.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2023, 10:37:36 AM
The most difficult time I had with a rental was this past January in Florida: We rented a Tesla from Hertz. Let's just say I was glad I had bookmarked the owner's manual on my iPhone and iPad.
I rented a Tesla from Hertz and it was the first and last time I will drive a Tesla.  It was like learning to drive all over again, and I want no part of it.

Come to think of it, I just returned it to the Hertz Local Edition after hours and just plugged the charge in myself.  Don't think I was charged for it that time, either.

1995hoo

Damn, how redundant could I get. I wasn't even drinking. Redundant post deleted!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Oh I didn't even notice both posts were yours, I just wanted to respond to both at the same time.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 27, 2023, 09:55:42 AM
I'm sure I mentioned this before, but I used to own a 1999 Neon that, for reasons completely unknown to me, had power windows in the front but not the back.

Oh man..... In that 1999/2000 time period, my 2 cousins (that are brothers), and their parents all got new Neons.  They really liked them at first, but none of the 3 lasted very long at all.  (I can't recall any given car's window control situation now)
I'm in no ways - at all - a "car guy", but I can't remember the last time I've seen a Neon out on the road.  Anywhere.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

GCrites

Big John

GCrites

J N Winkler

FWIW, I still see Saturn S-Series cars around here regularly (not just my own) and Autotrader lists just 36 for sale nationally.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

As an obvious Gen Xer, I have to admit I'm not sure I'd want to go back, because in the times before the internet, we don't get forums like this.

On the other hand, before the internet, it was easier to hide your background. You could fill out a job application and tell them you graduated from high school on time, and nobody would be the wiser, when in reality you may have dropped out because you were in a hell hole like the Dozier School for Boys in Marianna, Florida, or some abusive boarding school for kids with "special needs" which was about to have you institutionalized for not living up to their standards. 

Today, every other kid seems to have a facebook page, or an online student profile.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 17, 2023, 05:50:31 PM
FWIW, I still see Saturn S-Series cars around here regularly (not just my own) and Autotrader lists just 36 for sale nationally.
Makes me think how the freeway spur to GM's Spring Hill, TN plant is still called "Saturn Parkway".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Road Hog

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 18, 2023, 02:35:34 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on July 17, 2023, 05:50:31 PM
Makes me think how the freeway spur to GM's Spring Hill, TN plant is still called "Saturn Parkway".
Heard the back door to the plant is Uranus Parkway.

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.