News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Carls Jr. Coming to Florida

Started by roadman65, August 16, 2023, 04:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Reads to me as though there might be some interest in gradually phasing out the Hardee's brand.  Modern Hardee's is basically just Carls Jr. with a slightly different facade. 

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 16, 2023, 07:56:18 AM
Reads to me as though there might be some interest in gradually phasing out the Hardee's brand.  Modern Hardee's is basically just Carls Jr. with a slightly different facade. 

Sort of like Rally's becoming Checkers.  I believe the parent company is slowly phasing Rally's out to be Checkers in that fashion.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

When I was a kid I recall Hardee's used to sell boxes of fried chicken.  This could be nostalgia, but I recall liking their recipe a lot more than KFC.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 16, 2023, 09:46:58 AM
When I was a kid I recall Hardee's used to sell boxes of fried chicken.  This could be nostalgia, but I recall liking their recipe a lot more than KFC.

Right.  It was weird for me when I was young to see Hardee's advertising "The Six-Dollar Burger".  Now Hardee's is mainly burgers.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

They did. Theirs was better than KFC. Then they axed it along with closing some locations. I think that's when Carl JR's acquired them.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

In fairness though, Florida has other chains that are popular in other parts of the country. Cumberland Farms is basically only in New England and Florida and Wawa moved to Florida before it moved anywhere else in the Southeast. It seems like brands embrace Florida as a place where transplants congregate.

I wouldn't peg Florida as the place where people from Carl's Jr. Country would relocate, I would think Texas, but maybe there's some market research I don't know about.

Big John

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2023, 10:16:25 AM

Right.  It was weird for me when I was young to see Hardee's advertising "The Six-Dollar Burger".  Now Hardee's is mainly burgers.
And they would now charge over 6 dollars for it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 16, 2023, 10:48:51 AM

In fairness though, Florida has other chains that are popular in other parts of the country. Cumberland Farms is basically only in New England and Florida and Wawa moved to Florida before it moved anywhere else in the Southeast. It seems like brands embrace Florida as a place where transplants congregate.

I wouldn't peg Florida as the place where people from Carl's Jr. Country would relocate, I would think Texas, but maybe there's some market research I don't know about.

Having lived/worked in Florida and worked in Texas I've found them both be similar in a lot of ways that might not be initially intuitive.  Texas doesn't really become what popular perception has it being until west of San Antonio or along the border.

74/171FAN

I remember seeing Cumby's on my Florida Trip back in March along US 192 in Melbourne, and I was honestly shocked.  The only other one I saw was on FL A1A near Cape Canaveral.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2023, 11:25:05 AM

I remember seeing Cumby's on my Florida Trip back in March along US 192 in Melbourne, and I was honestly shocked.  The only other one I saw was on FL A1A near Cape Canaveral.

The market for Cumberland Farms is Brevard County. You won't find them in cities like Orlando, Tampa,  Miami, etc. pretty much in and around the Space Coast.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on August 16, 2023, 05:00:56 PM

The market for Cumberland Farms is Brevard County. You won't find them in cities like Orlando, Tampa,  Miami, etc. pretty much in and around the Space Coast.

Give it time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 16, 2023, 10:16:25 AM

Quote from: roadman65 on August 16, 2023, 10:16:50 AM
They did. Theirs was better than KFC. Then they axed it along with closing some locations. I think that's when Carl JR's acquired them.

It was called the "Revolution of 2003", and Hardees dropped a lot of products like roast beef and fish sandwiches (which they still offer during Lent).  But I had no idea that Hardees dropped fried chicken, since they still sell fried chicken here in its homestate of North Carolina.  But we quit getting fried chicken there when they dropped the normal side dishes back in 2003.  Except for the occasional chicken tenders, for which you don't need green beans, baked beans, mac-and-cheese and cole slaw.  (For the record, Hardees still has those huge hot dogs.  But like many West Virginians and North Carolinians, I quit eating hot dogs there when they dropped the cole slaw).

Big John

^^ Hardee's still offer roast beef sandwiches in Wisconsin.

Dough4872

There are slight differences between the two chains. Also Hardee's places more emphasis on breakfast while Carl's Jr. places more emphasis on lunch/dinner.

CtrlAltDel

The Carl's Jr. name has always struck me as kind of weird, and so if they were finally going to consolidate the brands, I really thought that they'd lean to Hardee's.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Big John on August 16, 2023, 08:24:40 PM
^^ Hardee's still offer roast beef sandwiches in Wisconsin.

Sign me up for dozen.   :crazy:

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Dough4872 on August 17, 2023, 09:26:42 AM

There are slight differences between the two chains. Also Hardee's places more emphasis on breakfast while Carl's Jr. places more emphasis on lunch/dinner.

It's kind of an example of the stereotype that flyover country people tend to be more "meat and potatoes" folks while coastal people tend to be more, well, whatever the opposite of that is.

When I tried Carl's in 2020 I felt the base quality of burger patty was inferior to Hardee's, which I think is because the default patty at Hardee's is the angus patty, while Carl's only has the angus for select burgers.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 17, 2023, 05:29:48 PM
It's kind of an example of the stereotype that flyover country people tend to be more "meat and potatoes" folks while coastal people tend to be more, well, whatever the opposite of that is.
foodie

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 17, 2023, 10:25:36 AM

The Carl's Jr. name has always struck me as kind of weird, and so if they were finally going to consolidate the brands, I really thought that they'd lean to Hardee's.

My wife and I have taken to calling it Small Carl's.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on August 16, 2023, 06:06:05 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 16, 2023, 05:00:56 PM

Give it time.

Cumberland Farms have a handful of locations in Broward and Palm Beach Counties, dating back to at least the 1980s. Some are only convenience stores without gas pumps.

Of course, lots of Northeastern transplants/visitors in that area.

gonealookin

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 17, 2023, 06:38:30 PM
My wife and I have taken to calling it Small Carl's.

Which is exactly what it was and why it's named that way.  Carl Karcher had some barbecue places, saw what McDonald's was doing and decided to get into the burger business with some smaller restaurants.

I thought Carl's Jr. was one of the "good guys" in the fast food genre (in spite of Mr. Karcher's politics which I did not care for) as long as Carl himself was actively involved in the management.  They were a couple steps above the rest as far as delivering a quality product.  Then the corporate suits took over the operation and the quality went pretty quickly downhill, to where now there's no real difference between them and the rest.  The food looks awesome in the TV commercials, but order that burger in one of the restaurants and be deeply disappointed in the sad presentation.

If I pull off the Interstate at Exit 145, I'm probably looking for In-N-Out, Chick-Fil-A or possibly Popeye's.  The rest of 'em, including Carl's Jr., no thanks.

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 17, 2023, 10:25:36 AM

The Carl's Jr. name has to stick around for people to go broke buying their EXTRA BIG-ASS FRIES in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d7SaO0JAHk
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

I think there are minor menu differences between Carl's Jr and Hardee's even now, based on regional preferences. Watching the occasional Dodgers game, they advertise a Diablo burger at Carl's Jr for $6.66. I can't see that going down well in Hardee's territory.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Big John

Quote from: Takumi on August 18, 2023, 11:41:52 AM
I think there are minor menu differences between Carl's Jr and Hardee's even now, based on regional preferences. Watching the occasional Dodgers game, they advertise a Diablo burger at Carl's Jr for $6.66. I can't see that going down well in Hardee's territory.
There was a Carl Jr's ad that was really selling sex in the way it was portraying a burger. Then they made it into a Hardee's ad and there was a bunch of backlash.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.