News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Arby's to purchase Subway

Started by roadman65, August 25, 2023, 05:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 01, 2023, 10:36:58 AM
It's something to keep an eye on, particularly in the lunch sandwich space. Two brands doesn't make total control in that industry, but should they try to buy another one, that might need to be blocked.
With entry threshold being pretty low, it's hard to expect too much antitrust in here

triplemultiplex

Consumers can always vote with their wallets when it comes to fast foot mergers.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 01, 2023, 11:37:22 AM
Consumers can always vote with their wallets when it comes to fast foot mergers.
Usain Bolt and who?

Jim

At least around me, there seems to be no shortage of various chain locations and more independent sandwich shops than I care to count.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

JoePCool14

I guess as long as it's not a zipper merge...

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2023, 12:16:35 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on September 01, 2023, 10:29:34 AM
Antitrust regulators need to put a stop to this.

Why?

Not enough providers of curly fries? Total market domination of horsey sauce?

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on September 01, 2023, 12:30:25 PM

Why?

Increased competition could produce an even better horsey sauce...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

It's something to keep an eye on, particularly in the lunch sandwich space. Two brands doesn't make total control in that industry, but should they try to buy another one, that might need to be blocked.

Nearly every shopping center has a pizzeria or deli. The percentage of lunch locations that this company will have will probably be in the single digits compared to every place else that can put together a hoagie or sub.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2023, 01:53:12 PM

Why?

No, we need more! Bison and bullish sauces should be offered as well!

JoePCool14

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 01, 2023, 02:00:46 PM

Nearly every shopping center has a pizzeria or deli. The percentage of lunch locations that this company will have will probably be in the single digits compared to every place else that can put together a hoagie or sub.

Mom and Pop stores and fast food chains are somewhat different markets though and compete slightly differently. Imagine if one corporation owned McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Whataburger and In-and-Out. Even if there are literally hundreds of thousands of other places to get a hamburger, that would not be a good thing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

formulanone

Quote from: kalvado on September 01, 2023, 02:07:49 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 01, 2023, 01:53:12 PM

Why?

No, we need more! Bison and bullish sauces should be offered as well!

I suppose the fact that there aren't any other fast food competitors offering a radish-based sauce, means Arby's figured out exactly how much market share they'll always have in their pocket.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 01, 2023, 02:11:11 PM
Mom and Pop stores and fast food chains are somewhat different markets though and compete slightly differently. Imagine if one corporation owned McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Whataburger and In-and-Out. Even if there are literally hundreds of thousands of other places to get a hamburger, that would not be a good thing.

In Canada, Recipe Unlimited formely known as Cara Operations; owns Harvey's, Swiss Chalet, Saint-Hubert, East Side Mario's and MTV Food Group owns Au Vieux Duluth, Mikes, Pizza Delight, Mr. Sub, Valentine, Van Houtte.

Road Hog

Horsey sauce differentiates Arby's from everyone else. Great to dip fries in. Arby's definitely has its moments.

I did get a kick out of its hiring website arbyshires.com and thought a new English county was created.

KCRoadFan

I hope I can have some Curly Fries with my Meatball Marinara sub soon.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Big John on September 01, 2023, 11:38:47 AM
Usain Bolt and who?

:-D :-D
I'm leaving that typo in place.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

HighwayStar

Agreed, this is not an acquisition that is good for the consumer.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

In_Correct

Quote from: HighwayStar on September 08, 2023, 12:44:00 PM

Does this mean that you are opposing Cobrands also ?? Yum! Brands is renowned for it. If you wished to block the attempt of merger or acquisition with Arby's and Subway, perhaps this should have been opposed ?? I also probably did not wished for Carl's Junior and Herdee's Senior to be the same company now. However, some times cobrands might be necessary. Example if Grandy's and Kettle cobranded, perhaps more peoples would know much more about them.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

HighwayStar

Quote from: In_Correct on September 08, 2023, 10:35:34 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on September 08, 2023, 12:44:00 PM

Does this mean that you are opposing Cobrands also ?? Yum! Brands is renowned for it. If you wished to block the attempt of merger or acquisition with Arby's and Subway, perhaps this should have been opposed ?? I also probably did not wished for Carl's Junior and Herdee's Senior to be the same company now. However, some times cobrands might be necessary. Example if Grandy's and Kettle cobranded, perhaps more peoples would know much more about them.

I don't care for how Yum! has run most of their brands over the years. Generally, I'm not in favor of cobrands, and where they apply they should not by something like Arby's-Subway where each stands on its own well.

The only cobranding I think works well is LJS with A&W, KFC, etc. because fast food fish is not everyone's thing so having an alternative menu in place does help drive traffic.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.