News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Was there ever a cancelled Interstate 27 in Calloway County, KY?

Started by ThatRandomOshawott, April 07, 2018, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatRandomOshawott

I was looking at an article published on September 24, 1977 (link: http://www.westernkyhistory.org/trigg/maupin/Jones.html) about a certain cemetery near Dexter in Calloway County, KY that no longer exists. There is a sentence stating that the stones of the cemetery are likely "beneath the being-constructed Interstate 27, near the old Wadesboro road." Is what the author is referring to U.S. 641, or is it a cancelled project? :hmmm:

jnewkirk77

Neither. It's a typo. Until I-69, I-24 was the only Interstate being built in that end of Kentucky.

ThatRandomOshawott

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on April 07, 2018, 09:46:46 PM
Neither. It's a typo. Until I-69, I-24 was the only Interstate being built in that end of Kentucky.
Interstate 24 does not go through Calloway County, though. However, Interstate 24 was planned to go through Calloway County at one time. I wonder if they ever did any construction for I-24 in the county.

jnewkirk77

I thought about that after I wrote it ... and then I remembered that Calloway County used to be much larger than it is today -- the northern part is now Marshall County.  And I-24 DOES go through Marshall.  But the thing is, I-24 is not really close to Dexter, so ??? Who knows???

ThatRandomOshawott

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on April 07, 2018, 10:18:35 PM
I thought about that after I wrote it ... and then I remembered that Calloway County used to be much larger than it is today -- the northern part is now Marshall County.  And I-24 DOES go through Marshall.  But the thing is, I-24 is not really close to Dexter, so ??? Who knows???
Marshall County branched off of Calloway County long before the Interstate Highway System was developed, though. The year when that happened was 1842, according to Wikipedia.
Nonetheless, it is possible that the sentence about "Interstate 27" in the article could be just a brain lapse that the author had.

hbelkins

Quote from: ThatRandomOshawott on April 07, 2018, 09:55:15 PM
Interstate 24 does not go through Calloway County, though. However, Interstate 24 was planned to go through Calloway County at one time. I wonder if they ever did any construction for I-24 in the county.

No. US 641 and KY 80 have been relocated, but no interstate construction. I-24 was the last interstate to be built in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ThatRandomOshawott

Considering that US 641 through Dexter was built in the late 1970's, and I-24 was also built in the late '70s (I believe), and the article was published in 1977, the probable reason the author put Interstate 27 is because she was meaning to put US 641, but put I-24 instead (albeit with a typo), because it was also being constructed in the area at the time.
Don't worry about that article.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.