News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2019, 03:11:25 PM
"Best" and "worst" are very subjective. One person's "man this is so cool I love it" might be another person's "meh." And one person's, "this sign is putrid" can be another's "hey I kinda like it."

I've always interpreted this thread as a place to post old classic signs that are still up in the field, in addition to modern signs done to classic specifications. In my opinion, something such as a simple (but well designed) BGS isn't enough to classify it as "best of."

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on March 28, 2019, 04:44:39 PM
This green backround sign in Auburn, ME. That US-202 shield though.. https://www.google.com/maps/@44.097832,-70.231345,3a,15y,205.32h,91.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAUnsgnRsorSn7MFYeVnpnQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The green uni-sign isn't best of in the slightest, but the Maine Turnpike trailblazer sure is. The directional arrow in lieu of the gold star is an old standard that hasn't been done for years.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 89

This beauty is on US 89 southbound in North Salt Lake, Utah, just before the I-15 interchange. I couldn't find a date sticker, but it seems quite likely that it dates back to when this road was also US 91, and it could well predate the Interstate.

odditude

mrsman

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on March 26, 2019, 08:45:23 AM
This one has to be one of my favorites. (Fairmont City, IL/Near Saint Louis, MO) https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6363717,-90.1376414,3a,15y,207.04h,98.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1saRBIdSar5kfF_vCg4T2I0Q!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DaRBIdSar5kfF_vCg4T2I0Q%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D96%26h%3D64%26yaw%3D215.73994%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

THere's a lot to like here, but I worry that there might be too much here and it could lead to message loading concerns.  Hiding the shields for IL-3 and Great River Road may help. (Put that information on a sign on the side.)

kphoger

Message overload is inevitable at that location.  While I could see the Great River Road shield being moved to a secondary post-mounted assembly, that's about it.  The importance of IL-3 in southern Illinois should not be underestimated.  There have been plenty of times I've crossed the river from Missouri into Illinois and needed to follow signs for IL-3
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2019, 03:30:40 PMMessage overload is inevitable at that location.  While I could see the Great River Road shield being moved to a secondary post-mounted assembly, that's about it.  The importance of IL-3 in southern Illinois should not be underestimated.  There have been plenty of times I've crossed the river from Missouri into Illinois and needed to follow signs for IL-3

The last time I visited St. Louis, in the spring of 2016, I depended heavily on SR 3 because it was the most convenient route between downtown St. Louis and my lodging near the Chain of Rocks Bridge on the Illinois side.  The I-55/I-64/SR 3 cat's cradle is just very difficult to sign, even with I-70 now partially out of the picture, and I would contend it is one of the poster children for "Don't build it if you can't sign it."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Washington State's contribution to the "best-of" gallery isn't stellar, but this older yellow "yield [to peds]" sign on the UW-Seattle campus is certainly a cool sight...only one I know of on an actual road (Cowlitz Rd @ NE 40th)

MNHighwayMan

Interesting. It doesn't look that old, though–at least not in that picture.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 31, 2019, 07:40:30 PM
Interesting. It doesn't look that old, though–at least not in that picture.

I am uncertain of its age. There is at least one other yellow yield sign on the UW-Seattle property (in the underground parkade). It's possible they were both installed some time after the current red/white design was introduced, but not long enough for the school engineers to have adopted it.

Considering the white-painted wooden pole (an old Seattle standard that's rarely seen anymore), and the custom painted font, the sign is undoubtedly from the past century...maybe the late 70s or early 80s.

Gnutella

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2019, 04:41:49 PM
meh.  I can think of three others on US highways in Missouri right off the top of my head.

Nixa
Poplar Bluff
Springfield

edited to add one more I thought of a minute later

The '67' on the sign in Poplar Bluff is screwed up too.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on March 31, 2019, 07:38:42 PM
Washington State's contribution to the "best-of" gallery isn't stellar, but this older yellow "yield [to peds]" sign on the UW-Seattle campus is certainly a cool sight...only one I know of on an actual road (Cowlitz Rd @ NE 40th)

Or it's telling peds to yield.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2019, 02:49:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 31, 2019, 07:38:42 PM

https://i.imgur.com/y43B7Hu.jpg

Or it's telling peds to yield.

"Yield, peds!"

mrsman

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 31, 2019, 04:30:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 31, 2019, 03:30:40 PMMessage overload is inevitable at that location.  While I could see the Great River Road shield being moved to a secondary post-mounted assembly, that's about it.  The importance of IL-3 in southern Illinois should not be underestimated.  There have been plenty of times I've crossed the river from Missouri into Illinois and needed to follow signs for IL-3

The last time I visited St. Louis, in the spring of 2016, I depended heavily on SR 3 because it was the most convenient route between downtown St. Louis and my lodging near the Chain of Rocks Bridge on the Illinois side.  The I-55/I-64/SR 3 cat's cradle is just very difficult to sign, even with I-70 now partially out of the picture, and I would contend it is one of the poster children for "Don't build it if you can't sign it."

I guess in East St Louis they have no choice but to sign something like this.  Too many highways just happen to all join together at one interchange.

A similar situation in Colton, CA (and other freeway junctions) in the 1960's was one of the impetuses for the great highway renumbering of 1964 in California.

Here is a photo of the old freeway sign:

https://forgottenhwy.weebly.com/ca-i10.html

There are a lot of highways to keep track of here.

The modern equivalent of the sign is here with only two highways, I-10 and I-215:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.063934,-117.2861133,3a,75y,250.21h,93.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sybVX_iSeckfTS_sHwFf6IA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

CA has the luxury of being in the corner of the country, so they can truncate national routes that no longer make sense to sign.  And CA has done so many times.  You can't do that in St. Louis.

ClassicHasClass

^^^
I don't know why it says "unattributed" -- that's one of the more famous images from California Highways and Public Works. I'm pretty sure I have that issue around here somewhere.

formulanone

Old Camden County 726 sign:

The New Jersey turnpike still has some odd button copy arrow signs (if not the wavy-gravy ones) at NJ 73:

Here's an old NJTP standard with some clipped corners and massive elephant-leg posts at NJ 32:

Truvelo

^^ I really like the button copy on that last sign. Normally it's only that intense when viewed at night under a strong light.
Speed limits limit life

formulanone

Quote from: Truvelo on May 17, 2019, 04:25:26 PM
^^ I really like the button copy on that last sign. Normally it's only that intense when viewed at night under a strong light.

It's a nice effect when a button copy sign is in the shade. As another example:

ipeters61

Quote from: formulanone on May 19, 2019, 09:19:08 AM
Quote from: Truvelo on May 17, 2019, 04:25:26 PM

It's a nice effect when a button copy sign is in the shade. As another example:

:-o :love:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

Found an old CONN 15 shield today with a colorful patina:

Kniwt

Spotted on a building in Toquerville, Utah, just a couple blocks off original U-15 (now SR 17):

roadman

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 31, 2019, 04:30:11 PM

As they say  "You can't correct poor design with good signing."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Quote from: Kniwt on July 01, 2019, 04:05:36 PM
Spotted on a building in Toquerville, Utah, just a couple blocks off original U-15 (now SR 17):

Cool, I don't think I've seen a color photo of that kind of Utah shield before!

An oldie-but-a-goodie in Houston...yes, Clearview was applied but the original sign was retained:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.