News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Bridges / Re: Bridges of the Mississippi...
Last post by Alex - Today at 08:30:56 AM
Bummer! I hope the site is only transitioning to a new server, but it hasn't been updated in so long that it appears likely to be gone for good.

Looked up the domain registration and it was updated on April 23, but the domain name expiration is February 21, 2027. That coincides with the establishment of February 21, 2000. So it was prepaid for several years, but maybe the hosting expired and GoDaddy has it with parking until new hosting is established? And if it is not, the parking will extend until 2027, but the site remans dead.

The registration uses Domains by Proxy to conceal the registration information, which is a GoDaddy service that I also use for AARoads. He might have prepaid for that as well.

I'll have to delink the citation URL's from AARoads to johnweeks.com at some point.
Traffic Control / Re: Here to There Photo Game
Last post by Jim - Today at 08:27:00 AM
Is a US 129 visible somewhere in the Alcoa picture?

Yes, this is a difficult game.  The rules in the OP were probably a little too restrictive for it to take off like some of the other photo games have.
Traffic Control / Re: The road sign city name ph...
Last post by Jim - Today at 08:24:53 AM
Ennis -> Sutton or Streatham, England.  From a bus in or near Clapham.  June 29, 2023.

Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by Alex - Today at 08:14:32 AM
Quote from: ElishaGOtis on April 26, 2024, 02:58:29 PM
Quote from: Alex on April 24, 2024, 01:51:38 PMFollowing over six and half years of construction, the Gateway Expressway (SR 686A/690) in Pinellas is finally set to open this Friday!

QuoteAccording to the Florida Department of Transportation, the new toll roads and I-275 Express Lanes are expected to open to traffic on Friday, April 26.

The Gateway Expressway not only connects U.S. 19 and I-275 but also directly connects the Bayside Bridge — north of 49th Street N. — to I-275.

Opened today as planned! Just clinched 686A headed "westbound." I'll get some pictures soon.

IMHO it's an EXTREMELY impressive project overall, lots of room for future expansion.

Drove both legs in both directions yesterday afternoon and the I-275 Express lanes from SR 686 north and south. The toll road system is toll free until May 3.

The posted 40 MPH speed limit ln the flyovers at the west end of SR 690 at U.S. 19 was a surprise. I easily drove the flyover at 60 MPH.

No reassurance markers posted on either, but two for CR 296 westbound remain. I posted some of what I shot on the AARoads facebook page after I got back yesterday. Will add them to AARoads this weekend.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by formulanone - Today at 07:57:45 AM
Quote from: cockroachking on April 26, 2024, 01:06:43 PMMD-482 > MD-485

This is probably the dumbest signed route in Maryland, which is a pretty high bar, given some of the roads that are signed.

Nonsense, they are all America's children, deserving of respect, even if they're orphaned...and...uh; wait, does that route serve only a single homestead?
Mid-South / Re: April bid openings: $1.09 ...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 07:47:39 AM
Quote from: DNAguy on April 12, 2024, 01:23:48 PMAs a UT fan, any use of my tax dollars to help OU fans get to Dallas is a non-starter for me.

The governor as a fellow longhorn must stand up to such fiscal frivolousness.

He better not rollover and let out of state crimson and cream influences dictate Texas policy.

Suggesting that programming of transportation projects should be based not on actual need but on college football loyalties is absolutely unhinged behavior.
Quote from: hbelkins on April 26, 2024, 03:14:35 PMI got an email that I had received a personal message, but I don't see the option on the home page to access it. There used to be a "My Messages" notification on the home screen, but it's not there now.

Top bar, there's the "My Messages" button.  It's beside the "Alerts" text.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Scott5114 - Today at 07:15:31 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2024, 10:02:30 PMBut as Alex said, there's no word on when the new bridge will have a different name, so let's just assume that it'll also be called the Key Bridge.

It would be funny if they named it after John Locke.
I just discovered that the two expansion projects- Athens to Darwin and Five Points to Ravenswood- are now open for public comment (https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/projects/mega-projects/mega-projects/33-expansion). Here are a couple of interesting responses from the Q & A section of the webpage that provide insight to some of the questions raised here.

• As of early January, ODOT and WVDOH were working to select a consultant to study the Ravenswood bridge and direct connection to I-77. It will be interesting to see any proposed alternatives (if any) for a high-speed connection between I-77 and 33 westbound.
  • WVDOH has an upcoming deck replacement project for the existing Ravenswood Bridge.
  • ODOT specifically mentions re-evaluating the speed limit of 55 between the Nelsonville Bypass and Athens. I think it currently warrants an increase to 60, but there are a lot of low traffic access points with poor sight lines that may keep things at 55.
  • A pair of comments mention the connector to Bashan Rd near Racine, and I tend to agree with the concept. ODOT should build a new connector for the eastbound lanes to access Bashan Rd following the concept of the current 33-681 intersection near Darwin. This would prepare the road for a full interchange here and allow for realigning the intersection of Bashan and Bowmans Run Rds.
Traffic Control / Re: The road sign city name ph...
Last post by TBKS1 - Today at 01:57:41 AM
I don't have very many E- plays that don't end with another E, so here's this.

Grantsville -> Ennis, TX (taken 24 February 2024)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.