News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stupid question

Started by Voyager, March 27, 2009, 02:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

What does AASHTO stand for?
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Greybear

I believe it stands for American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.

From the AASHTO website:

AASHTO is a nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. It represents all five transportation modes: air, highways, public transportation, rail, and water. Its primary goal is to foster the development, operation, and maintenance of an integrated national transportation system.

Alex

They are a group of transportation officials that are prone to making bad decisions or getting confused on what is an Interstate vs. what is a U.S. highway. Look at some of their confusion for requests in NC in recent meetings! Also look at their approval of such things as the extension of U.S. 425 south into MS and the truncation of U.S. 113 in Delaware. Yes, the states are the ones requesting some of these ludicrous ideas, but AASHTO is the group that has to put their stamp of approval on it before signs change in the field.

74/171FAN

Definitely while we're referring to NC I have always thought that I-795 is a joke(definitely not compared to I-99 and I-238)  as the road is horrible anyhow and that no one uses it.  I mean the only reason NC wanted this as an interstate was so that trucks over 48 feet could use the road(my third rave not on the rave list).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.