News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rest Areas in Urban Areas

Started by sprjus4, December 29, 2019, 01:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

What are examples of rest areas on freeways / interstates that are in urban areas?

The area could have been rural when it was constructed, and is now urbanized due to growth today.

Some examples that come to mind are I-66 in Manassas, VA, I-95 in Dale City, VA, I-77 in Charlotte, NC / Fort Mill, SC, and I-85 in Kannapolis, NC.

Here's an example of a rest area located along the urban strip of arterial US-70 in Morehead City, NC. Are there any other arterial urban examples that exist?

amroad17

I-55 NB Welcome Center in Memphis, TN.
I-71/75 rest areas in Florence, KY.
DeWitt Travel Plaza EB on the NY Thruway in Syracuse, NY.
I-75 NB Welcome Center in Chattanooga, TN.

These examples, and yours also, are more of rest areas in well-developed suburban areas.  The one in Florence did not have any development around it until close to 15 years ago.

To me, for example, having a rest area on I-64 in Hampton, VA where the Woodlands Golf Course currently is would be a definition of a rest area in an urban area.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 29, 2019, 01:07:47 AM
What are examples of rest areas on freeways / interstates that are in urban areas?

The area could have been rural when it was constructed, and is now urbanized due to growth today.

Some examples that come to mind are I-66 in Manassas, VA, I-95 in Dale City, VA, I-77 in Charlotte, NC / Fort Mill, SC, and I-85 in Kannapolis, NC.

Here's an example of a rest area located along the urban strip of arterial US-70 in Morehead City, NC. Are there any other arterial urban examples that exist?
None in the Detroit area. For I-75 there's a northbound welcome center at mm 10 then the next northbound rest area is 87 miles away at mm 97.

Rothman

I-87/Thruway: Sloatsburg/Ramapo.

Garden State Parkway:  Montvale

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheOneKEA

In Maryland, I-95 has a pair of rest areas adjacent to the Middle Patuxent River, between MD 216 and MD 32. Despite the presence of the river valley the area is heavily suburban in character and has become more so over the past several years. The rest areas are well used because they offer extensive truck parking.

Crown Victoria

In PA:

I-78 westbound Welcome Center in Easton
I-76/ PA Turnpike Oakmont/Plum, Highspire, and Valley Forge Service Plazas (all eastbound). 
I=276/PA Turnpike King of Prussia Service Plaza (westbound).  Formerly also the Neshaminy service plazas.
I-476/Northeast Extension Lehigh Valley Service Plaza
I-79 near Bridgeville
I-95 NB Welcome Center near Marcus Hook

ilpt4u

I-80/294/Tri-State Tollway/Chicago Southland Lincoln Oasis

Former/Doomed ISTHA Urban Oases: Hinsdale, O'Hare, Des Plaines

jeffandnicole

Nearly every NJ Turnpike Service Plaza.

The I-295 Welcome Center in Carney's Point, NJ.

Max Rockatansky

I-4 has one just north of downtown Orlando but I don't recall what it's name is. 

dfilpus

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2019, 08:28:01 AM
None in the Detroit area. For I-75 there's a northbound welcome center at mm 10 then the next northbound rest area is 87 miles away at mm 97.
There is one on I-275 between Michigan (US-12) and Ford (M-153) exits.

Brandon

Quote from: dfilpus on December 29, 2019, 10:09:58 AM

And another westbound on I-94 near Willow Run.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

wanderer2575

Not anymore; it was closed in November 2018.  MDOT noted in its press release that this is "now a highly urbanized area with many alternatives for motorist services available at Exit 22 to US-12 and at Exit 25 to M-153"; i.e. you can exit and go to a McDonald's to pee.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9620-479910--,00.html

Revive 755

TheHighwayMan3561

MN:
I-94 EB rest area in Maple Grove
I-35 Duluth welcome center
I-94 Moorhead welcome center
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

nexus73

For Oregon, the Rest Area which best fits the "urban area" description is on I-5 at French Prairie, north and southbound (just south of Wilsonville).

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Buck87

The Ohio Turnpike's Great Lakes/Towpath service plazas (near the I-77 interchange in the greater Cleveland/Akron sprawl) 

Beltway

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 29, 2019, 01:07:47 AM
Some examples that come to mind are I-66 in Manassas, VA, I-95 in Dale City, VA,
Rural back in the 1960s when those highways were built.

Hard to conceive nowadays, but the Washington suburbanized area back then didn't extend much beyond Fairfax, Vienna and Alexandria.  Towns like Woodbridge and Manassas and Leesburg were considered "satellite towns" out in rural areas outside of the region.  Tysons Corner had barely gotten started, Dulles Airport was an underused "white elephant" and that corridor between Tysons and the airport was a rural area with a few small towns like Reston.

Loudoun County was almost entirely rural and Prince William wasn't far behind.

Do these other cited "urban" rest areas come under the same situation, where the environs were rural back when they were built?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jp the roadgeek

I-87 gas stations on the Deegan just south of the Westchester line. 

Service area on the Hutch just south of 287 in Harrison.   

The 2 rest areas on 128 in Newton (SB) and Lexington (NB)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Flint1979

That rest area has been closed as already noted.

Eth

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 29, 2019, 01:09:20 PM
This one's debatable, but I'll nominate I-270 at Riverview Drive in Missouri (it's labeled as Missouri Division of Tourism on the map).

In a similar vein, there's the Welcome Center on I-185 in Columbus, GA.

I'll also nominate the rest area on I-475 in Macon. On the outskirts, yes, but still only about six or seven miles from the center of one of the largest cities in Georgia.

sprjus4

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 29, 2019, 01:09:20 PM
This one's debatable, but I'll nominate I-270 at Riverview Drive in Missouri (it's labeled as Missouri Division of Tourism on the map).

Quote from: Eth on December 29, 2019, 04:51:39 PM
In a similar vein, there's the Welcome Center on I-185 in Columbus, GA.

I'd say that both of those count. They're off an exit, but they are signed as official rest areas / welcome centers from the interstate. There's many instances across the United States of this, at least in rural areas. North Carolina has at least two that's off an exit on non-interstate freeways, and Tennessee has one on I-26 that's off an exit, but all those are in rural areas so they wouldn't apply to this thread. In all cases, those act as two-way rest areas as opposed to the traditional one-way that you see on most interstates.

webny99

Good thread!

There is one in each direction on the Thruway in the Syracuse area, although "urban" could be debated in both cases. Also, the Scottsville Service Area near Exit 46 is now in the heart of the ever-expanding Henrietta suburbia.

I recall going to one on a toll road in Chicagoland somewhere, but can't seem to pinpoint the exact location. I think it was signed as an "oasis".

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on December 30, 2019, 12:35:39 AM
Good thread!

There is one in each direction on the Thruway in the Syracuse area, although "urban" could be debated in both cases. Also, the Scottsville Service Area near Exit 46 is now in the heart of the ever-expanding Henrietta suburbia.

I recall going to one on a toll road in Chicagoland somewhere, but can't seem to pinpoint the exact location. I think it was signed as an "oasis".
Yeah, the Chittenango one ain't urban.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

Washington has 2.5 suburban rest areas:

I-5 at "SeaTac" (actually southern Federal Way, near SR 161) in both directions. A place for prostitutes to gather right next to the biggest water park in the state

I-5 at Silver Lake in Everett (southbound only). Located adjacent to a park-and-ride in the median.

I-5 at Smokey Point. The northbound stop has a large tree stump that used to be a drive-thru feature of the Pacific Highway (more info here).

Brandon

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 29, 2019, 10:53:59 AM

Not anymore; it was closed in November 2018.  MDOT noted in its press release that this is "now a highly urbanized area with many alternatives for motorist services available at Exit 22 to US-12 and at Exit 25 to M-153"; i.e. you can exit and go to a McDonald's to pee.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9620-479910--,00.html

What a fucking joy.  Where once you have a nice large restroom with multiple stalls and urinals with plenty of truck parking, now you have one-stall McDonald's with no truck parking.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.