News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite exits you've stopped at?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, January 14, 2020, 08:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planxtymcgillicuddy

Saw doglover44's question in the Southeast board about favorite I-75 exit in TN, so I decided to expand it nationwide: What are some favorite/memorable exits you've stopped at in your travels? And what about it or them made it so memorable?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Max Rockatansky

The Painted Canyon Overlook/Old US 10 Exit in Theodore Roosevelt National Park on I-94 is petty nice.  The Sunset Point Exit on I-17 is also very scenic.

allniter89

:hmmm: FL I 10 exit 70. 5 miles to da house :D
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Flint1979

I-94 in Michigan City, Indiana exit 34

TheGrassGuy

Are we counting grade-separated exits? 'Cause I don't think you're allowed to legally stop at those...  :biggrin:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 15, 2020, 04:39:51 AM

I've always found that exit to be wholly unremarkable.  What makes it your favorite?

My favorite exit is Exit 55A of I-80/94/Dan Ryan Expwy in Chicago.
My least favorite exit is the Belmont Ave exit of Lake Shore Dr in Chicago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

epzik8

Exit 4 off I-95 in Virginia and exit 173 off I-95 in North Carolina.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

ET21

Favorite: Ontario Feeder Ramp/Ohio Street off of I-90/94 heading eastbound into the city.

Least favorite: I-294 southbound to I-55, mainly because the traffic on the ramp sucks most days and if the air is right, literally stinks due to a water treatment plant right next to the ramps.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 15, 2020, 07:23:45 AM
Are we counting grade-separated exits? 'Cause I don't think you're allowed to legally stop at those...  :biggrin:

Most grade-separated exits have a stoplight, stop sign, or yield sign.  Many of them also allow parking.

In that vein, I've always like the rock cuts at US-65 South exiting at the Branson High Road.  I've stopped at the stoplight there.  But I also once parked along the shoulder of the exit ramp because it was raining so hard I couldn't see where I was going.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

For years, Exit 99 on I-79 in West Virginia. Not only the western terminus of Corridor H, but the nearest Sheetz.

More recently, Exit 28 on I-64. It's not the closest Sheetz now, but it's the most easily accessible.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: kphoger on January 15, 2020, 01:34:32 PM
]

In that vein, I've always like the rock cuts at US-65 South exiting at the Branson High Road.  I've stopped at the stoplight there.  But I also once parked along the shoulder of the exit ramp because it was raining so hard I couldn't see where I was going.

The sign pointing to the left is on the right, and the sign pointing to the right is on the left.  Uh, okay...

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 15, 2020, 07:50:51 AM

I've always found that exit to be wholly unremarkable.  What makes it your favorite?

My least favorite exit is the Belmont Ave exit of Lake Shore Dr in Chicago.

I've just always stopped at that exit whenever I've passed through that area. It basically has everything you need at that exit and for some odd reason I like US-421. But I'll spend the night at exit 19 or 22.

I'm pretty fond of exit 55A as well since I'm a White Sox fan. I've got off there so many times I've lost count. Actually my least favorite would be anything off Lakeshore.

fillup420

US 421 northbound, exit 257 for US 601 in Yadkinville, NC

There's a direct connection from the off-ramp to a Sheetz. One can then get back on the off-ramp, and go straight over 601 to get back on 421. Most convenient stop on any highway.

roadman65

In NC the I-95 exit for US 70 mainline for lodging and JR's. :)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

nexus73

Close to where US 191 and I-70 meet in Utah, there is a rest stop which has as panoramic a view of spectacular eroded terrain as one could want. Having brought along a small microwave oven and food to warm up, the rest stop made for an excellent picnic stop.  Eating in such beautiful surroundings on a day with great weather made for a most memorable experience.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 15, 2020, 07:50:51 AM
Ugh, I loathe the White Sox.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: epzik8 on January 15, 2020, 08:16:44 AM
Exit 4 off I-95 in Virginia and exit 173 off I-95 in North Carolina.
Roanoke Rapids > Michigan City

US 89

Quote from: nexus73 on January 23, 2020, 09:45:12 AM
Close to where US 191 and I-70 meet in Utah, there is a rest stop which has as panoramic a view of spectacular eroded terrain as one could want. Having brought along a small microwave oven and food to warm up, the rest stop made for an excellent picnic stop.  Eating in such beautiful surroundings on a day with great weather made for a most memorable experience.

The eastbound or westbound one? I have fond memories of stopping at the westbound Thompson Springs rest area on family road trips home from Denver. There's a hill with a gazebo on top immediately adjacent to the rest area that we would always hike up.

Beltway

A new favorite is the newly rebuilt VA I-95 Thornburg Exit 118.

Easy access to a Sheetz store to get fuel, use restroom, and take a break, before getting onto 30 miles of HOT lanes where there are no stopping points other than exiting the HOT lanes.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

tjcreasy

As someone who travels from Richmond to DC. Exit 118 on I-95 had always been my refuge prior to entering or escaping DC metro traffic also.

sparker

Exit 106 on CA 99 -- the Traver exit, between Goshen and Kingsburg, is always a "must" stop for me because of Bravo Ranch and their exceptional in-house cheeses.   Always stop there, if possible, on my way back from SoCal; they always seem to have new product available on a regular basis -- and I have yet to be disappointed. 

roadman

When traveling to western Pennsylvania via I-84, I normally stop at Exit 34 (Dingman's Ferry Lord's Valley) for gas, and sometimes lunch.  Could easily make it to Hazelton on the remaining fuel I have before stopping, but I've always preferred to gas up east of Scranton and I-81.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2020, 09:44:50 PM
In NC the I-95 exit for US 70 mainline for lodging and JR's. :)

Exit 97 in North Carolina on I-95 is also a personal favorite.

Not for JR's (though I have visited that business), but for the Waffle House on Outlet Center Drive south of U.S. 70 (always impresses me with good and friendly service for reasons not clear) and the Carolina Outlets to the south, also on Outlet Center Drive.

Another favorite stop, also on I-95 in North Carolina, is Exit 22 at Lumberton.  The Sam's Club on Dawn Drive near that interchange has reasonable prices for both gasoline and Diesel, and I usually stop there to fill the tank. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

The exit from I-95 for US-52 near Florence and Darlington in South Carolina is one I like because there are a lot of services there, good choice of lunch stops, and it's at the right distance that it comes up at a time when I'll want or need to stop on the way south. We hit that exit around lunchtime. If we take my car, we'll need to put gas in the car, so we make it a combined stop. (If we take Ms1995hoo's car, we can probably make it another hundred miles or so before refuelling.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sbeaver44

Pennsylvania:
I-78: Exit 29 (PA 61).  So many options, especially since the Cabela's went up.
I-80: Exit 120 (PA 879) -- Lot of options, most of I-80 is pretty desolate in PA
I-180: Exit 13 (PA 405) - Stop at the Sheetz before heading into northern PA on US 220
I-83: Exit 14 (PA 182) - Rutters is right there

Maryland:
US 15: MD 806/Thurmont : Roy Rogers
I-270: Exit 31 (MD 85): Good selection of dining options
I-97: Exit 15 (MD 162): Royal Farms
I-68: Exit 22 (US 219) Pilot is always a good stop

New Jersey:
I-78 Exit 3 (US 22/NJ 173) in NJ.  Wawa, plus several other options.

Delaware:
SR 1: Exit 114 (US 13/South Smyrna) -- Wawa

New York:
I-88: Exit 15 (NY 23-28) -- Good options on an otherwise desolate highway

West Virginia:
US 48: US 220 -- Sheetz

Virginia:
I-81: Exit 273 (VA 292) Large Sheetz.  Clinching VA 292 over and over again is fun.

Ohio:
I-80: Exit 234 (US 62/OH 7) - Gas is cheaper than PA
OH 2: Exit 121 (OH 2C to OH 163) - I just like driving through the whole town of Port Clinton, plus the Kroger is there

Indiana:
I-469: Exit 25 (IN 37) Steak and Shake, Meijer

Illinois:
I-39/90: US 20 Business/State St in Rockford.  Quite a bit of options.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.