News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Facebook Groups

Started by doglover44, January 19, 2020, 02:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglover44

Is there any good road geek Facebook groups ?

Max Rockatansky

We have a couple on Gribblenation, of what we have West Coast Roads is by far the most active.  Some of groups I partake in on Facebook are:

Old Highway 101
Freewayjim
US Highways
Californian's Historic Highways
The American Two-Lane
Roadgeekery
Bridges
There is no way that is MUTCD compliant
Map Scans
Forgotten Railways, Roads & Places
The Covered Bridge Experience
Historic US Highway 99
Lincoln Highway
The National Old Trails Road Page
California Historic Route 66 Association
Route Shield Gallery

There are a couple more I didn't list because they are even more specific than some of the groups I listed.  Freewayjim seems to be the most popular general topic highway group but most users tend to talk about US Routes and Interstates.  Even the big groups tend to only have about 3,000 members given the road geek hobby in a somewhat niche.  Although I've found some of the more specific groups can be a lot of fun if there are a couple dedicated members, the Historic Columbia River Highway group is an example. 

vdeane

These are the ones I'm active on:
Northeast Roads
Ontario Roads
Québec Roads
New Jersey Roads
NYCRoads.com
DCRoads.com
BostonRoads.com
PhillyRoads.com
MontrealRoads.com

One of these days it would be nice if someone could put together a directory of all the roadgeek Facebook groups, since there are so many.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

The only issue I have with There is no way that is MUTCD compliant is there's a lot of bike/ped fans on there, so anything interesting related to roads tends to be shouted down by overzealous bicycle/ped maniacs.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 20, 2020, 10:09:54 AM
The only issue I have with There is no way that is MUTCD compliant is there's a lot of bike/ped fans on there, so anything interesting related to roads tends to be shouted down by overzealous bicycle/ped maniacs.

Wow. Tell us how you really feel.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2020, 01:15:37 PM

I can second that it is a frequent thing to see on said group.  Usually the complaint is about minor details in sign placement rather than the signage being not MUTCD compliant. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

In trying not to include groups that Max & Valerie have already listed...

Route 40
Southeast Roads
Gulf Coast Roads
Deep South Roads
Great Lakes Roads
Mid-America Roads
Potomac Valley Roads
Abandoned Highways, Roads & Streets
County, Secondary, Township and Named Highways

And state specific groups....
Ohio Roads
Palmetto State Roads
Route 6 in Pennsylvania

Road related (more roadside culture)
Ameristation - ALL THINGS service station in America
Road Trip Fun

Otherwise, on Facebook, go to group search and try keywords - "Road," "Highway," "Map," "sign"
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 20, 2020, 01:19:11 PM

I can second that it is a frequent thing to see on said group.  Usually the complaint is about minor details in sign placement rather than the signage being not MUTCD compliant.

That group is an odd place. I'm not sure how road-related it really is, and those who appear to be the admins of it are unknown to me. (Of course, I go back to the infancy of MTR so I've known most of the top dogs in this hobby for a long, long time, so I guess it's strange for me to encounter folks that I didn't know from MTR, the Yahoo groups, or here; a number of folks I knew from MTR like Gene VanD. or "Freewayjim" Jim Georges aren't here but I knew them from elsewhere).

They get off on a lot of tangents on that group, especially when something like autism/Asperger's or a rainbow-colored crosswalk comes up. When someone posted the news story about the "autistic child/child with autism" sign and the vandalism/"correction" that occurred, that group went bonkers. There was some discussion about it here on this forum, I remember.

Maybe someone ought to also compile a list of Pages. Unlike Groups, anyone can see a Page, even someone who's not a Facebook member. Lots of official agencies maintain a Page -- I do one for my workplace -- but there are roadgeek Pages out there too.

I have both a Page and a Group for Millennium Highway. Both are gathering dust, but I've done more on the Page than with the Group.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I will preface this by saying I do not have a Facebook account and don't know much about it. Stanley Roberts tweeted this and I found it amusing.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

I don't even care about their transportation preferences, but there's a lot of issues in that group. It was all well and good when the signs were just way-off designs, or the really bad stuff. But to keep anything going in social media, you have to amp up the content and increase the petty complaining, usually at the expense of its original intent.

It turned into a festival of every little minor thing someone can find...that border is too wide!...one letter is two millimeters thicker than another!...I just discovered Clearview and how to post puke gifs!...I bet I can get out of a speeding ticket because the font is Arial!) so it's been all downhill from there.

hbelkins

Might this thread be more appropriate in the Photos, Videos & More category?

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on January 19, 2020, 08:43:26 PM
These are the ones I'm active on:
Northeast Roads
Ontario Roads
Québec Roads
New Jersey Roads
NYCRoads.com
DCRoads.com
BostonRoads.com
PhillyRoads.com
MontrealRoads.com

One of these days it would be nice if someone could put together a directory of all the roadgeek Facebook groups, since there are so many.

This covers most of the ones that I'm in, too.  Here's a few others:

* Appalachian Highways
* Gulf Coast Roads
* Pennsylvania Roads
* Potomac Valley Roads
* Tar Heel Roads

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:20:05 PM

That group is an odd place. I'm not sure how road-related it really is, and those who appear to be the admins of it are unknown to me. (Of course, I go back to the infancy of MTR so I've known most of the top dogs in this hobby for a long, long time, so I guess it's strange for me to encounter folks that I didn't know from MTR, the Yahoo groups, or here; a number of folks I knew from MTR like Gene VanD. or "Freewayjim" Jim Georges aren't here but I knew them from elsewhere).

They get off on a lot of tangents on that group, especially when something like autism/Asperger's or a rainbow-colored crosswalk comes up. When someone posted the news story about the "autistic child/child with autism" sign and the vandalism/"correction" that occurred, that group went bonkers. There was some discussion about it here on this forum, I remember.

The admin who runs NUMTOT also runs this group. In fact, last year, when she got "too busy" managing NUMTOT she just shut down posting to this group, instead, of, God forbid, forwarding the responsibility to someone else. She's thrown anti-cycling people out of the group before. I am a cyclist, and ride more than probably any other cyclist in that group, but I really can't stand "cycling people", you know, the ones that change things to be more unsafe under the guise of perceived safety.

And yeah, autism and or something with gay or transsexual issues has to be brought up a thousand times. I just want to post a funny sign - too much to ask?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2020, 02:02:57 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 20, 2020, 04:20:05 PM

The admin who runs NUMTOT also runs this group. In fact, last year, when she got "too busy" managing NUMTOT she just shut down posting to this group, instead, of, God forbid, forwarding the responsibility to someone else. She's thrown anti-cycling people out of the group before. I am a cyclist, and ride more than probably any other cyclist in that group, but I really can't stand "cycling people", you know, the ones that change things to be more unsafe under the guise of perceived safety.

Funny, I just got hit up by a couple hostile posters regarding a comment I made about roads in the Phoenix Area not being exactly the best quality for cyclists and pedestrians.  I love when people comment that doing dangerous things on busy roads while under the technical right of way as a cyclist or pedestrian will somehow save them from getting hit anyways.  Usually it's people who don't participate in distance cycling or distance running who make crap comments like that.

hbelkins

SectorZ

SectorZ

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2020, 06:57:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 26, 2020, 05:34:42 PM
NUMTOT?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatwouldjanejacobsdo/

You'll note that it's the same admin as the MUTCD page and she's so proud of the page officially endorsing a presidential candidate despite no others likely having a say in the matter. I guess I can rip her here because she's anti-car and I doubt interested in this page.

formulanone

Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2020, 07:01:51 PM
NUMTOT?

You'll note that it's the same admin as the MUTCD page and she's so proud of the page officially endorsing a presidential candidate despite no others likely having a say in the matter. I guess I can rip her here because she's anti-car and I doubt interested in this page.

Can we just agree that meme pages are their own pointless self-created thirteenth circle of hell?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 06:53:27 AM
Can we just agree that meme pages are their own pointless self-created thirteenth circle of hell?

Meme pages are great.  The comment sections, whether viewing or contributing, are the hellspawn.

NUMTOTs has always been a thinly veiled discourse group, and it used to be great in the early days (about 2 1/2 years ago). I initially joined it to see the ideas for trains and mass transit.  I learned a lot from that group about transportation and housing policy, but then the group became too large to manage.  Now it has a lot of dumb, overly generalist simpleton takes like "ban all cars," and the average education level of group members dropped off dramatically.  I hold on hoping that someone will post something intelligible like the old days, but that hope is seriously dwindling.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

hbelkins

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2020, 06:53:27 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on January 26, 2020, 07:01:51 PM
NUMTOT?

No.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21687.0
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on January 27, 2020, 01:54:00 PM
NUMTOT?
Oh. Given that I'm not an urbanist, nor interested in transit, that group would have no appeal whatsoever to me.
Remember George Conklin?

He could be pretty entertaining.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.