News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most intersections between the same two routes?

Started by hbelkins, February 08, 2020, 08:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2020, 07:24:21 PM
Can I have some pi?
If the OP thinks that trumpet interchanges are not direct, then yes, we may sit down for some pi in Virginia.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

cl94

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 10, 2020, 07:20:22 PM
Which of the "indirect-ish" interchanges did you count?

Exits 8, 9, 10 in NY have at least 2 ramps connecting directly to US 11, so they count. Still tied with US 1 and I-95.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

I count Exit 12, too. Still wavering on some of the others, like 2W.

Exit 6 could conceivably count twice: there is 2 crossings, and 2 ramps for each crossing.

hbelkins

Clarifications to my original criteria.

Partial interchanges do count.

Trumpet interchanges that connect directly to the intersecting route do count. The best example that comes immediately to mind is the US 522 Fort Littleton interchange with I-76/PA Turnpike. I believe I-81's interchange with US 11 on the south side of Harrisonburg would also qualify.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ HB, how would you classify I-91 Exit 3 in Brattleboro, VT?  I ask because there are a couple of driveways before one gets to the roundabout at US 5/VT 9 East.

X99

I can't find anything in South Dakota more than SD 240 having both endpoints at I-90. Both major US routes that followed current Interstate routings (16 and 77) were decommissioned when the Interstates (90 and 29, respectively) were finished.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2020, 07:35:36 AM
^ HB, how would you classify I-91 Exit 3 in Brattleboro, VT?  I ask because there are a couple of driveways before one gets to the roundabout at US 5/VT 9 East.

What's VTrans' internal designation for that connector? Is it considered part of the exit?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Meh..."Brattleboro State Highway" (unnumbered state highway)...

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on February 09, 2020, 01:38:11 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2020, 11:01:29 PM
I'm sure on the exact amount of times but CA 1 intersecting US 101 in California is the most common instance here. 

If you count a (consistently) signed concurrency as a single intersecting point, the US 101/CA 1 combination has 7 intersections.  Within CA, the only other combination that comes remotely close is I-5 and CA 33 with 4 intersecting points. 

The specific US 101/Route 1 examples I can think of:

Exit 60 in Oxnard (not well signed) - Rice Avenue
Exit 72 (Emma Wood State Beach)
Exit 78 (Emma Wood State Beach)
Exit 132 in Las Cruces
Exit 191B in Pismo Beach - Price Street/Business US 101
Exit 203A in San Luis Obispo
Exit 438 in San Francisco - Park Presidio Boulevard to 19th Avenue
Exit 445B north of Marin City

---

For comparison, here is Route 33 and I-5:

Exit 337 - Route 145/Coalinga
Exit 349
Exit 403A/B - Route 152 in Santa Nella (to Los Banos and Gilroy)
Exit 407 - Santa Nella
Exit 452 - north terminus in Vernalis
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 12, 2020, 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: sparker on February 09, 2020, 01:38:11 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2020, 11:01:29 PM
I'm sure on the exact amount of times but CA 1 intersecting US 101 in California is the most common instance here. 

If you count a (consistently) signed concurrency as a single intersecting point, the US 101/CA 1 combination has 7 intersections.  Within CA, the only other combination that comes remotely close is I-5 and CA 33 with 4 intersecting points. 

The specific US 101/Route 1 examples I can think of:

Exit 60 in Oxnard (not well signed) - Rice Avenue
Exit 72 (Emma Wood State Beach)
Exit 78 (Emma Wood State Beach)
Exit 132 in Las Cruces
Exit 191B in Pismo Beach - Price Street/Business US 101
Exit 203A in San Luis Obispo
Exit 438 in San Francisco - Park Presidio Boulevard to 19th Avenue
Exit 445B north of Marin City

---

For comparison, here is Route 33 and I-5:

Exit 337 - Route 145/Coalinga
Exit 349
Exit 403A/B - Route 152 in Santa Nella (to Los Banos and Gilroy)
Exit 407 - Santa Nella
Exit 452 - north terminus in Vernalis

Does Rice Avenue technically count given it isn't "really under state maintenance"  at present moment?  Granted the difference is made up where CA 1 ends at US 101 in Leggett. 

TheStranger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2020, 03:28:56 PM

Does Rice Avenue technically count given it isn't "really under state maintenance"  at present moment?  Granted the difference is made up where CA 1 ends at US 101 in Leggett. 

That one is tricky, because does this mean Oxnard Boulevard is still the Route 1/US 101 junction?  Or does this mean that Route 1 essentially is a spur from wherever state maintenance ends near Santa Monica to the south city limits of Oxnard?

(Of course, some portions of relinquished Route 1 between Santa Monica and LAX are better signed than some state-maintained state routes here!)

Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheStranger on February 12, 2020, 03:36:59 PM

That one is tricky, because does this mean Oxnard Boulevard is still the Route 1/US 101 junction?  Or does this mean that Route 1 essentially is a spur from wherever state maintenance ends near Santa Monica to the south city limits of Oxnard?

(Of course, some portions of relinquished Route 1 between Santa Monica and LAX are better signed than some state-maintained state routes here!)

Personally I'd count it if the Route was signed no matter who maintained it.  Regarding Rice what we know for sure is that it is in the definition of 1 but isn't part of state maintenance.  If 1 becomes signed on Rice no matter even if it's Ventura County signing it I would say at that point it is a legitimate part of the highway. 

That brings up an interesting side thought regarding relinquishment in California.  I know technically in most relinquishment agreements the term "no longer a state highway is applied."   That said, many of those same relinquishment agreements require the local authority to maintain continuation signage (even though some places are better than others).   Under that description I would still say that the State Highway exists by definition but simply isn't state maintained.  In that sense something like CA 130 on Alum Rock in San Jose functionally exists even though all the signage has been removed and the city maintains it. 

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2020, 01:54:17 PM

Is VTrans ever going to officially move 9 to follow 91 around Brattleboro?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2020, 05:21:48 PM

Personally I'd count it if the Route was signed no matter who maintained it.  Regarding Rice what we know for sure is that it is in the definition of 1 but isn't part of state maintenance.  If 1 becomes signed on Rice no matter even if it's Ventura County signing it I would say at that point it is a legitimate part of the highway. 

That brings up an interesting side thought regarding relinquishment in California.  I know technically in most relinquishment agreements the term "no longer a state highway is applied."   That said, many of those same relinquishment agreements require the local authority to maintain continuation signage (even though some places are better than others).   Under that description I would still say that the State Highway exists by definition but simply isn't state maintained.  In that sense something like CA 130 on Alum Rock in San Jose functionally exists even though all the signage has been removed and the city maintains it. 

In my opinion, all of these edge cases count for the intent and purpose of the thread.  Imagine if one route were a blue cord and the other were a red cord.  The question is how many times do the cords cross.  Who maintains what etc shouldn't really matter for this thought exercise.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2020, 01:10:36 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2020, 05:21:48 PM

In my opinion, all of these edge cases count for the intent and purpose of the thread.  Imagine if one route were a blue cord and the other were a red cord.  The question is how many times do the cords cross.  Who maintains what etc shouldn't really matter for this thought exercise.

Normally I would agree but the case of Rice and CA 1 is unique.  Technically Rice Avenue never has been part of CA 1 nor signed as it.  At present moment Rice Avenue is "the future"  CA 1 which only will technically happen when it gets transferred to State Maintenance.  I don't believe the former state highway on Oxnard Boulevard still has CA 1 shields still posted.  So really until the state takes over Rice Avenue can it really be considered part of CA 1?  Nonetheless US 101/CA 1 regardless intersect far more than any other pair of signed highways in California. 

Edit:  Here is what the Legislative description of CA 1 has to say regarding Oxnard:

"The relinquished former portions of Route 1 within the Cities of Dana Point, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, and Oxnard are not state highways and are not eligible for adoption under Section 81. For those relinquished former portions of Route 1, the Cities of Dana Point, Newport Beach, Santa Monica, and Oxnard shall maintain within their respective jurisdictions signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 1. The City of Newport Beach shall ensure the continuity of traffic flow on the relinquished portions of Route 1 within its jurisdiction, including, but not limited to, any traffic signal progression."

So in that sense it would seem CA 1 still functionally exists in Oxnard Boulevard regardless of who maintains it. 

froggie

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 13, 2020, 11:41:52 AM
Quote from: froggie on February 12, 2020, 01:54:17 PM

Is VTrans ever going to officially move 9 to follow 91 around Brattleboro?

Extremely unlikely.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.