News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Texas: New Style of TxDOT Signal-Mounted Street Name Sign

Started by Brian556, February 27, 2013, 05:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

It appears that this could be a new TxDot Standard. The two pics were taken in different cities.

Roanoke:

McKinney:

Alps

I have to say, I love that standard. Similar to NJDOT but because it includes block numbers (not something we do here), you get a larger shield out of the deal.

Brian556

Yeah, I like them too. But, they do pose an issue at intersections where a route turns or begins, as to wheter to include that route on the sign with arrows. Case and point.

Take the intersection of University Dr and Locust St in Denton, Tx: If this intersection were to recieve these signs there would be an issue because US 380 goes both ways, but US 377 turns right, and combines with US 380.

On another note, this intersection is where University Dr changes from E to W, but notice the different approach to signing that VS the US 377 Front St sign. I saw this issue on the plans, and told them that I though it was silly. It done like the standard for different street names on either side of the intersection, but with the same name.

DorkOfNerky

That's pretty cool. Look nice too. I had mentioned the idea in another forum post. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=575.msg66383#msg66383 No. Not saying TxDOT saw that and ran with it. Although that would be cool. :P

(Had to edit the post since I've moved my Picasa account since the original post. Direct image at https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_zQZPU5CExXFoE5lghm6HY77sks2Yjoyz2LWTGMRnp8?feat=directlink)
- The Dork of Nerky

OCGuy81

Road Hog

Road Hog

Quote from: Brian556 on February 27, 2013, 06:28:22 PM
Yeah, I like them too. But, they do pose an issue at intersections where a route turns or begins, as to wheter to include that route on the sign with arrows. Case and point.

Take the intersection of University Dr and Locust St in Denton, Tx: If this intersection were to recieve these signs there would be an issue because US 380 goes both ways, but US 377 turns right, and combines with US 380.

On another note, this intersection is where University Dr changes from E to W, but notice the different approach to signing that VS the US 377 Front St sign. I saw this issue on the plans, and told them that I though it was silly. It done like the standard for different street names on either side of the intersection, but with the same name.

It might be even crazier on the blades facing University because 77/377 is divided, with one-way lanes a block apart (Locust northbound, Elm southbound).

codyg1985

I love these. I saw these in Dallas in 2008, but I was not sure if it was just a Dallas thing or a TxDOT thing. I really wished these were used in places where roads are referred to often by both names and route numbers.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Brian556

Dallas was the first around here to use this style of sign. I did some digging on the TxDOT site, and this style of sign is now in the Standard Highway Sign Designs. Intrestingly so are mile markers with shields. However, the non-shield type is also still shown.

txstateends

Quote from: Brian556 on February 27, 2013, 05:23:37 PM
It appears that this could be a new TxDot Standard. The two pics were taken in different cities.

McKinney:

Wow, when did they put that signal in?  That was just a rural stop the last time I was up that way.

As for the topic, I thought the new style was just a Dallas thing--didn't know it would be a wide rollout.  Will be interesting to see how they handle overlaps and splits/merges at intersections.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.