News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who invented the term "Arialveticverstesk?"

Started by Molandfreak, April 06, 2014, 11:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Is that solely a forum invention? If so, why the hell do we keep using that unnecessary shit term? It is not spellable or pronounceable by any means, unless you are really nerdy. I just recently learned the fact that this is not one font, all the fonts it is meant to abbreviate, and that the term can be shortened to simply "non-FHWA fonts." Why do we keep inside info like this and expect people to know what you're talking about?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

sammi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2014, 03:01:23 PM
I came up with "arialveticverstesk"

And the first instance of Arialveticverstesk (by the way, your title is wrong :pan:) I found on the forum is this:

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 18, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 18, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

Is that the first instance of Clearview and button copy appearing on the same sign?

Weird.

I think there is a Clearview patch on a button copy sign for Santa Ana on the 57 freeway at I-5, but that might be on a retroreflective patch.

there is definitely an Arialveticverstesk patch on a button copy sign on I-15 for Apple Valley.

also, you might be an Anal Road Geek if the diversion away from "Old Spanish Trail" to German caused you physical agony.

It might go farther back, but I can't seem to find anything.

briantroutman

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 06, 2014, 11:42:24 PM
Is that solely a forum invention? If so, why the hell do we keep using that unnecessary shit term? It is not spellable or pronounceable by any means, unless you are really nerdy. I just recently learned the fact that this is not one font, all the fonts it is meant to abbreviate, and that the term can be shortened to simply "non-FHWA fonts." Why do we keep inside info like this and expect people to know what you're talking about?

"Non-FHWA fonts" could be literally anything–Times, Bodoni, Gill Sans, Univers. That's a very broad and vague term that doesn't get at what is specifically meant in most cases.

"Arialverticverstesk" covers Helvetica, Akzidenz Grotesk (or other similar grotesque typefaces), and Arial, three very similar sans-serif typefaces that many lay people can't tell apart.

sammi

Quote from: briantroutman on April 06, 2014, 11:57:36 PM
"Non-FHWA fonts"
I gave him that word. And then I said
on the other hand, there's clearview
but he went and used it anyway. :P

Molandfreak

Don't give a shit that the title is misspelled. Further proves that Arialwhateverthefuckitis is too long of a term and too cumbersome to ever be useful.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

getemngo

There are literally no Google results for "Arialveticverstesk" that aren't from or related to this forum.

I found an earlier instance than the one sammi found, from August 2012. Thanks to Steve in that thread, and briantroutman in this one, for spelling out what it means! I could never figure it out past Arial and Helvetica.

"Arialveticverstesk" is specifically meant to refer to sans-serif fonts that were not meant for highway use in North America. Don't forget that the term "non-FHWA fonts" excludes not only Clearview, but also Clarendon and NPS Rawlinson Roadway (the Clearview of Clarendon :p). That's not really in the spirit of Arialveticverstesk.
~ Sam from Michigan

sammi

Quote from: getemngo on April 07, 2014, 12:48:28 AM
I found an earlier instance than the one sammi found, from August 2012. Thanks to Steve in that thread, and briantroutman in this one, for spelling out what it means! I could never figure it out past Arial and Helvetica.

Quote from: Alps on August 16, 2012, 08:27:12 PM
Arial.. Helvetica... Univers... Grotesk. Finally figured that phrase out.
Which of course means it existed before that post too. We must dig deeper. :sombrero:

It was a pain quoting that post.

Zeffy

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 06, 2014, 11:42:24 PM
\It is not spellable or pronounceable by any means, unless you are really nerdy.

So, I guess you are incapable of saying Arial-Vetik-Verse-Tesque (or however that may look in pronunciation guides)? It's not hard to spell, and it's definitely not hard to pronounce. I guess that means I'm really nerdy. Or, I actually know basic English language structure and am I able to use my brain to figure out "how do I pronounce this?". This topic serves absolutely no purpose other than to call out Jake (because I'm almost 100% certain he coined the term on here) for creating a unique forum 'meme' if you'd call it that. This is no different than Alanland, and this is no different from 'pooing is cool'.

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 06, 2014, 11:59:52 PM
Don't give a shit that the title is misspelled. Further proves that Arialwhateverthefuckitis is too long of a term and too cumbersome to ever be useful.

You seem pretty angry.

Quote from: sammi on April 07, 2014, 12:56:56 AM
Which of course means it existed before that post too. We must dig deeper. :sombrero:
It was a pain quoting that post.

I saw another reference to it 1 post back from the one you linked. There was another about 2-4 posts behind that one, but it was spelled (like I first conceived it) Arialveticaverstesk. Either way, according to the forum, that is the oldest instance of Arialveticverstesk, posted by agentsteel53 (AKA Jake), in August 2012.

"Arialveticverstesk" is specifically meant to refer to sans-serif fonts that were not meant for highway use in North America. Don't forget that the term "non-FHWA fonts" excludes not only Clearview, but also Clarendon and NPS Rawlinson Roadway (the Clearview of Clarendon :p). That's not really in the spirit of Arialveticverstesk.

The spirit of Arialveticverstesk is to name a group of fonts that are seen on (ugly / erroneous) road signs instead of either the FHWA fonts or Clearview. And, as we all know, that group of fonts looks ugly on road signs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

Quote from: sammi on April 06, 2014, 11:57:24 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2014, 03:01:23 PM
I came up with "arialveticverstesk"

And the first instance of Arialveticverstesk (by the way, your title is wrong :pan:) I found on the forum is this:

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 18, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 18, 2012, 12:10:29 AM

Is that the first instance of Clearview and button copy appearing on the same sign?

Weird.

I think there is a Clearview patch on a button copy sign for Santa Ana on the 57 freeway at I-5, but that might be on a retroreflective patch.

there is definitely an Arialveticverstesk patch on a button copy sign on I-15 for Apple Valley.

also, you might be an Anal Road Geek if the diversion away from "Old Spanish Trail" to German caused you physical agony.

It might go farther back, but I can't seem to find anything.

So it's fairly well settled.  Jake (from sunny San Diego) (aka agentsteel53) invented the term.

Can we put that into the FAQ?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 06, 2014, 11:59:52 PM

too cool to poo?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

You lied, Jake. :pan:
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 12:36:32 PM
oh! the arialveticaverstesk!  it burns, it burns!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2014, 09:08:34 AM
guys, it's "Arialveticverstesk".  no "a" at the end of "vetic".

Quote from: Zeffy on April 07, 2014, 10:59:01 AM
Arial-Vetik-Vehr-Tesque
Univers is pronounced [oo-ni-vehr] (I can't quite replicate the actual sound of the first syllable) as in French.

Clarendon and NPS Rawlinson Roadway (the Clearview of Clarendon :p).
So I looked that font up. Apparently it's by the same people who made Clearview. Dammit PennDOT. >_>

Quote from: Brandon on April 07, 2014, 11:16:14 AM
Can we put that into the FAQ?
We have one?

agentsteel53

Quote from: sammi on April 07, 2014, 11:52:07 AM
You lied, Jake. :pan:
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 12:36:32 PM
oh! the arialveticaverstesk!  it burns, it burns!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 07, 2014, 09:08:34 AM
guys, it's "Arialveticverstesk".  no "a" at the end of "vetic".

looks like I invented both, then.  it must have gone through a bit of evolution in Aug'12. 

jake@aaroads.com

Zeffy

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 07, 2014, 11:54:28 AM
looks like I invented both, then.  it must have gone through a bit of evolution in Aug'12.

Without the 'a' it's much better. IMO, Arialveticverstesk flows much more smooth than Arialveticaverstesk. Actually, maybe they both flow the same. Idk.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Scott5114

If you don't like the term Arialveticverstesk, make it obsolete by teaching people the difference between Helvetica and Arial (it is not as subtle as a lot of people seem to think).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 07, 2014, 01:28:43 PM
If you don't like the term Arialveticverstesk, make it obsolete by teaching people the difference between Helvetica and Arial (it is not as subtle as a lot of people seem to think).

it certainly is perceptible, but we're basically talking about the difference between a Dodge Horizon and a Plymouth Omni.  they're both mediocre.

jake@aaroads.com

sammi

The biggest difference is that the strokes are cut horizontally or vertically in Helvetica, but they're diagonal in Arial. (See, for example, the lowercase T.) The other big differences you can see here.

Zeffy

I knew the capital 'R' and the lowercase 'a' differences the most. Especially the R. The R was a dead giveaway for Helvetica versus Arial. The '1' in Helvetica looks more like a Transport 1, and the 1 in Arial looks more like a Clearview 1. But then again, sans serif fonts all look somewhat the same in one way or another.

mass_citizen

So, I guess you are incapable of saying Arial-Vetik-Verse-Tesque (or however that may look in pronunciation guides)? It's not hard to spell, and it's definitely not hard to pronounce. I guess that means I'm really nerdy. Or, I actually know basic English language structure and am I able to use my brain to figure out "how do I pronounce this?". This topic serves absolutely no purpose other than to call out Jake (because I'm almost 100% certain he coined the term on here) for creating a unique forum 'meme' if you'd call it that. This is no different than Alanland, and this is no different from 'pooing is cool'.

I wouldn't go that far. I too wondered where the term came from. This topic solved that for me.

Also how can you accuse someone of not knowing basic English language structure for saying that they can't pronounce a word that's not even in the English language?  :bigass:

As for my humble opinion, I do think its a funny play on the three types of fonts. Although I also think its a bit over used lately. Definitely an ugly looking word lol.

We could also say "Arial-type font" or simply just arial since everyone knows it could potentially be one of the three.

Molandfreak

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound angry. I was just wondering why people keep using it (don't even try to tell me it wasn't a pain in the ass for you to learn how to spell it) when there are probably shorter terms we could use.

hbelkins

The spirit of Arialveticverstesk is to name a group of fonts that are seen on (ugly / erroneous) road signs instead of either the FHWA fonts or Clearview. And, as we all know, that group of fonts looks ugly on road signs.

I must be the only person in the world that doesn't find that group of fonts to be ugly on signs.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2014, 07:15:23 PM
I must be the only person in the world that doesn't find that group of fonts to be ugly on signs.

You probably aren't, but now the question is: who tolerates Clearview versus Arialveticverstesk and vice-versa?

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2014, 07:15:23 PM

I don't find anything wrong with it.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Ian

Quote from: mass_citizen on April 07, 2014, 04:16:45 PM
Although I also think its a bit over used lately. Definitely an ugly looking word lol.

Agreed. It was witty at first, now it's getting over used and has lost its novelty. Whenever I read the forum and see it used in a sentence, I just skip over it, because it's obnoxious to try read it in my head all the time.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.