News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Hampshire

Started by 74/171FAN, June 17, 2009, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

Well, y'know, ya go to Massachusetts, yah gonna haveta pay SALES TAX!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazHA-SGmjI
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

kramie13

I was in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago and drove up I-93.  I noticed some oddities with the exit numbering:

-Both interchanges for I-293 and I-89 don't have exit numbers.  Why?
-There was an "exit 9N" and an "exit 9S" in the Manchester area.  Why are they signed N-S instead of A-B?
-Why is there no exit 21?  For a state that doesn't want to convert to mile-based exit numbering, this perplexes me.

froggie

Quote-Why is there no exit 21?  For a state that doesn't want to convert to mile-based exit numbering, this perplexes me.

"Exit 21" was intended for a proposed but never-built freeway connection between Franklin and Laconia which would have been (depending on the plan and the year) a mile or two north of Exit 20.

Alps

Quote from: kramie13 on October 18, 2021, 02:35:59 PM
I was in New Hampshire a couple of weeks ago and drove up I-93.  I noticed some oddities with the exit numbering:

-There was an "exit 9N" and an "exit 9S" in the Manchester area.  Why are they signed N-S instead of A-B?
Both of these are artifacts of how states originally designated exits. In many states, Interstate-Interstate junctions were unnumbered and N/S E/W were used.

shadyjay

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2021, 06:17:42 PM

Both of these are artifacts of how states originally designated exits. In many states, Interstate-Interstate junctions were unnumbered and N/S E/W were used.

An even earlier iteration of numbering exits in a cloverleaf interchange was to give them two separate numbers.  The Merritt Parkway in CT had a few cases of this, with one case remaining, for Rt 34 in Orange (what would have been either E/W or A/B is given two separate numbers). 

Back to I-93...
the Everett Tpke predates I-93 in this area, so there originally was no interchange where I-89 comes in. 

PurdueBill

Quote from: shadyjay on October 18, 2021, 06:26:39 PM

An even earlier iteration of numbering exits in a cloverleaf interchange was to give them two separate numbers.  The Merritt Parkway in CT had a few cases of this, with one case remaining, for Rt 34 in Orange (what would have been either E/W or A/B is given two separate numbers). 

Back to I-93...
the Everett Tpke predates I-93 in this area, so there originally was no interchange where I-89 comes in. 

Exits 15E-15W are also still kicking in Concord, and the Everett Turnpike has a couple including my very favorite, 5E-5W-5A.  They even mix and match directional suffixes with "regular" letters!

PA was another notable example of I-I junctions not getting exit numbers until they renumbered everything in 2000.  Vermont was another example although not consistently (no number on 89 for 91, but used to be 10S-10N on 91 for 89 (half-assed, not on every sign), now 10A-B, to be changed eventually to mileage numbers.

SectorZ

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 27, 2021, 10:47:56 AM

Back to I-93...

Exits 15E-15W are also still kicking in Concord, and the Everett Turnpike has a couple including my very favorite, 5E-5W-5A.  They even mix and match directional suffixes with "regular" letters!

If you're old enough to remember, 5A is much newer exit that was added within the last 25 years or so.

Who remembers Massachusetts using the N/S, E/W exit suffixes into the 80's?

hotdogPi

I remember the E/W suffixes on the standalone section of 128. They were there long past the 1980s.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman

Quote from: 1 on October 27, 2021, 04:23:48 PM
I remember the E/W suffixes on the standalone section of 128. They were there long past the 1980s.

US 3 Burlington to Tyngsborough exit numbers had the N S E W suffixes until the signs were updated in the late 1990s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DrSmith

This is probably a minority opinion, although I prefer the directional suffix. It's a secondary connection between direction of travel and distinguishing exit number. I know it doesn't always work.

Still some around in Connecticut too. Exits 48 E&W and 22 N&S on I-91 as well as Exit 68 N-E and W off the Wilbur Cross Pkwy

Rothman

Quote from: DrSmith on October 28, 2021, 03:46:45 PM
This is probably a minority opinion, although I prefer the directional suffix. It's a secondary connection between direction of travel and distinguishing exit number. I know it doesn't always work.

Still some around in Connecticut too. Exits 48 E&W and 22 N&S on I-91 as well as Exit 68 N-E and W off the Wilbur Cross Pkwy

If it's a minority opinion, the minority's got another member right here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ran4sh

I prefer A-B because with the directional exit numbers you don't necessarily know if your direction is the first or second exit, but with A-B you know that A is first in the increasing direction and last in the decreasing direction.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

vdeane

Quote from: ran4sh on October 28, 2021, 04:39:56 PM
I prefer A-B because with the directional exit numbers you don't necessarily know if your direction is the first or second exit, but with A-B you know that A is first in the increasing direction and last in the decreasing direction.
In theory, but that's not always the case (the history: NYSDOT Region 4 tends to flip the A/B order when only the decreasing direction has a split exit; in this case, they later split the increasing direction too, and matched the existing numbers).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DJ Particle

Quote from: SectorZ on October 27, 2021, 04:09:20 PM

I still remember the "Exit 13S" sign on the Orleans Rotary.  Which was weird because the exit was for the *North* MA-28/*West* MA-6A multiplex.  :-D

froggie

NHDOT has released their 2023-2032 Ten Year Plan.  Some projects of interest:

• Conversion of the Everett and Spaulding Turnpikes to AET starting in 2023
  • Construction of a new Exit 4A interchange on I-93, about a mile north of Exit 4, in 2022-23
  • Construction of a new VT/NH 119 bridge over the Connecticut River, about a half mile south of the existing bridge.  I believe construction has already begun.
  • Reconstruction of the I-293 interchanges at Exits 6 and 7, but not expected to begin until 2027.
  • Widening of the Everett Turnpike between Nashua and I-293 to 6 lanes, beginning in 2023.
  • Widening of I-93 through Concord to 6 lanes, anticipated to begin in 2026.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SectorZ on October 27, 2021, 04:09:20 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on October 27, 2021, 10:47:56 AM

Back to I-93...

If you're old enough to remember, 5A is much newer exit that was added within the last 25 years or so.

Indeed, 5A being added later suggested that 5E/W was the "real" exit 5, like in NJ on the GSP where they would have something like 100-100A-100B instead of A-B-C or 82-82A instead of A-B because you are supposed to be heading to the shore (the "real" unsuffixed one heads there).  :P

It was sad when the ones on MA 128 at 62 and 35 (exits 22W-E and 23N-S formerly) finally went.  20S-N bit the dust so long ago in favor of A-B that it was surprising how long the couple lasted.

If they widen 93 through Concord, mentioned in the 10-year plan, does that put the 15E-W numbering at risk? 

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 29, 2021, 08:51:14 PM
It was sad when the ones on MA 128 at 62 and 35 (exits 22W-E and 23N-S formerly) finally went.

That numbering went away when both interchanges were converted from cloverleafs to diamonds.  The project was in the planning stages for a long time (largely due to local issues) before it was built, which is why the numbers weren't changed to A-B when 20A-B was.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

Quote from: PurdueBill on October 29, 2021, 08:51:14 PM
If they widen 93 through Concord, mentioned in the 10-year plan, does that put the 15E-W numbering at risk? 

Yes, and not just because of the MUTCD.  One of the options being considered is reconfiguring Exit 15 as a trumpet, with additional nearby roads/ramps replacing what is now 15W.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bob7374

Quote from: yakra on October 30, 2021, 02:34:30 PM
^ Talking about the options depicted here? http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Archives/Alternative%20Screening%20Presentation.pdf

I've only just discovered http://www.i93bowconcord.com/ (and skimmed thru the docs there) but it appears most options considered more recently are a variant of
http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Workshop%206-26-19/Exit%2014_15%20Concept%20F3%202.pdf
http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Workshop%206-26-19/Exit%2014_15%20Concept%20F3%20with%20Rail%20Relocation%202.pdf

Not that it would be surprising, but no mention of exit renumbering in the Ten Year plan?

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: bob7374 on October 30, 2021, 11:10:46 PM
^ Talking about the options depicted here? http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Archives/Alternative%20Screening%20Presentation.pdf

I've only just discovered http://www.i93bowconcord.com/ (and skimmed thru the docs there) but it appears most options considered more recently are a variant of
http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Workshop%206-26-19/Exit%2014_15%20Concept%20F3%202.pdf
http://www.i93bowconcord.com/Documents/Workshop%206-26-19/Exit%2014_15%20Concept%20F3%20with%20Rail%20Relocation%202.pdf

Not surprising, no mention of exit renumbering in the Ten Year plan.

Actually, I found the exit renumbering, but it's under a different wording. It states "EXIT SIGN RENUMBERING ALONG TIER 1
HIGHWAYS TO COMPLY WITH MUTCD." with preliminary engineering in 2023 and construction in 2024. The total cost of this project is $926,804.

So, which highways are under the Tier 1 category?

bob7374

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on October 31, 2021, 02:02:05 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on October 30, 2021, 11:10:46 PM

Would not be surprising, but no mention of exit renumbering in the Ten Year plan?

Actually, I found the exit renumbering, but it's under a different wording. It states "EXIT SIGN RENUMBERING ALONG TIER 1
HIGHWAYS TO COMPLY WITH MUTCD." with preliminary engineering in 2023 and construction in 2024. The total cost of this project is $926,804.

So, which highways are under the Tier 1 category?
Tier 1 — Interstates, Turnpikes, and Divided Highways
Interstates, Turnpikes, and NH Route 101 between Bedford and Hampton support the
highest traffic volumes and speeds in the entire state. These multi-lane, divided
highways convey the majority of commuter, tourist, and freight traffic throughout the
state.

Exit renumbering was also in the previous 10 year plan, and was taken out by the NH governor.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.nh.gov/dot/org/projectdevelopment/planning/typ/documents/typ-project-changes-and-updates.pdf

The exit renumbering project on Tier-1 highways has been removed from this 10-year statewide plan (2023-2032). I'm betting that it will show up again on the next plan.

The Ghostbuster

Will New Hampshire have to wait until a new governor is elected in order for the exits to finally be converted from sequential-to-mileage-based?

MATraveler128

Governor Sununu is running for a fourth term as governor. As long as he remains in office, the exit numbers aren't changing.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.