News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Quote from: Dellbeam on March 05, 2023, 04:13:44 PM

This is probably a typo made by somebody while they helped with the sign. It seems like something they could just fix after they make a new one.

I mean have any AARoadsters seen the Jackie typo in person?

D-Dey65

Hey, I don't know whether or not this question was asked before, but there seems to be a stub leading to Amboy Road in the Richmond Valley section of Staten Island near the Staten Island Railway station. What's that for? An unbuilt south-to-west ramp between Richmond Valley Road and Amboy? A connecting ramp from the never built southern extension of the West Shore Expressway? An old segment of Amboy Road itself?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5192157,-74.2280019,220m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

NJRoadfan

Judging by topos and the utility poles, it was part of Amboy Rd. before the Richmond Valley Rd. overpass over the SIRR was built.

Mergingtraffic

I'm amazed at how some recent sign replacements have replaced signs that have only been up for 20 years yet, some are still forgotten.  I'm not really complaining but it just amazes me.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

roadman65

Does anyone know why Woodrow Road under NY 440 is built so wide?
https://goo.gl/maps/uPEs2PFsKEDDzvjj6
It’s only a turn around for the freeway service roads and is a one way street.  Was there a plan at one time to connect the two segments of Woodrow Road and also extend it west to Arthur Kill Road?

That would explain only the need to have a NB slip ramp from NY 440 to its service road at Exit 3 that really needs to be an on ramp to be opposite Exit 3A for Englewood Avenue on the SB side. As if that scenario were true more ramps at Woodrow Road would have been added  as part of whatever was planned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Undoubtedly built that way for some form of future expansion possibly not finalized at the time of construction. In my area on Long Island we have a similar situation with an underpass built in 1956 on a narrow state road, wide enough to accommodate a divided highway if the road was ever widened which it never was. And a similar one on the intersecting state parkway that was built circa 1973 for future widening also which was never done, but might still be some day.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on June 19, 2023, 08:19:02 PM
Undoubtedly built that way for some form of future expansion possibly not finalized at the time of construction. In my area on Long Island we have a similar situation with an underpass built in 1956 on a narrow state road, wide enough to accommodate a divided highway if the road was ever widened which it never was. And a similar one on the intersecting state parkway that was built circa 1973 for future widening also which was never done, but might still be some day.
do plz point us to this

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on June 20, 2023, 09:22:15 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on June 19, 2023, 08:19:02 PM
do plz point us to this

Both locations are on the Uniondale/East Meadow border. NY 102 (Front St) under the Meadowbrook State Pkwy bridge. And just north of there, Meadowbrook Pkwy. northbound side at the Glenn Curtiss Blvd. bridge. (First bridge south of NY 24, Hempstead Tpk) That one was built possibly to accommodate a collector-distributor road which was built north of NY 24) but not south of it.

The Ghostbuster

I wonder if anything will ever be done to fully reconstruct the BQE. I have the feeling a repeat of what happened to Manhattan's West Side Highway in 1973 will occur before anything serious comes to fruition.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 25, 2023, 09:37:12 PM
I wonder if anything will ever be done to fully reconstruct the BQE. I have the feeling a repeat of what happened to Manhattan's West Side Highway in 1973 will occur before anything serious comes to fruition.
Any deaths as a result of a collapse are due to the leaders who knew about this and decided to do nothing. That blood will be on their hands and its murder. They should be tried for it god forbid anything bad happens.

SignBridge

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 25, 2023, 09:40:04 PM
Any deaths as a result of a collapse are due to the leaders who knew about this and decided to do nothing. That blood will be on their hands and its murder. They should be tried for it god forbid anything bad happens.

Can someone refresh me on what happened to the West Side Hwy. in 1973? I should remember but for some reason I don't.

The Ghostbuster

Here is Wikipedia's article on the West Side Highway's collapse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Highway#1973_collapse. Here is another article from NYCROADS:  http://www.nycroads.com/roads/west-side/.

mariethefoxy

Quote from: SignBridge on June 25, 2023, 09:53:12 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on June 25, 2023, 09:40:04 PM

Can someone refresh me on what happened to the West Side Hwy. in 1973? I should remember but for some reason I don't.

To summarize, the roadway was from the late 20s and not maintained very well at all, one day a pavement truck was driving on the roadway to make repairs and a portion of the roadway collapsed with the truck driving on it. 

Mergingtraffic

You know what I've never seen? And I-78 stand alone shield or trailblazer in NYC.  Of course it's The Holland Tunnel but still you'd think there'd be some.  I see I-87 shields even tho everyone says the Deegan.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

In the meantime, NJ has announced a lawsuit in regard to the congestion pricing plan.  (https://abc7ny.com/amp/new-jersey-congestion-pricing-lawsuit-federal-highway-administration/13529620/)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2023, 03:11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TIO0LAaoU
This is totally absurd.

Staten Island is following NJ I believe.
The reporter was named Robert Moses. Lol

I’m surprised I haven’t seen Chuck Schumer talk about this. He’s on cam for everything else.

Where’s the opposition from Manhattan residents or Bronx residents, the EIS said Bronx would get more traffic.

The MTA should look inward as they will never have enough money. I’d pay a toll if it’ll reshape some of NYCs expressway interchanges but not the “always broke” MTA

roadman65

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 23, 2023, 11:57:28 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 23, 2023, 03:11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TIO0LAaoU
This is totally absurd.

Staten Island is following NJ I believe.
The reporter was named Robert Moses. Lol

I'm surprised I haven't seen Chuck Schumer talk about this. He's on cam for everything else.

Where's the opposition from Manhattan residents or Bronx residents, the EIS said Bronx would get more traffic.

The MTA should look inward as they will never have enough money. I'd pay a toll if it'll reshape some of NYCs expressway interchanges but not the "always broke"  MTA

The media is only going to cover what they want as they are a business to please advertisers who pay their salaries. I'm sure Chuck has talked, but Faux and CNN both just don't want to air it so that they both can indirectly support this nonsense the MTA is trying to push.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Personally, I would have preferred that the congestion pricing plan would have had the tolls collected go to maintaining New York City's roads, rather than have funding transit.

Alps

First gantry: West End Ave heading south from 61st St. There's gonna have to be a gantry on every single avenue at 61st... and what the HECK are they gonna do south of there with all the interchanges along FDR and all the side streets along West St?

SignBridge

Funny about the reporter actually having the name Robert Moses.

I'm puzzled why there seem to be cameras over both halves of the divided roadway. I assumed drivers would only have to pay the toll when entering the congestion zone. Will they actually be tolled when leaving the area too?

Also: what about those who live in the congestion zone? Will they have to pay to drive into the neighborhood where they live?

Plutonic Panda

That sucks. I hope this project is stopped but I'm not holding my breath. It'd be nice. Be even nicer to see congestion pricing federally banned unless 100% of revenue goes to improving streets. I could at least get on board if the money went to streets and not mass transit.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Plutonic Panda

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.