News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why does the NYS Thruway not sign for Rochester and Syracuse?

Started by James, August 26, 2022, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 05:44:08 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 22, 2023, 05:41:24 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:09:23 PM
Quote from: GaryV on February 22, 2023, 04:05:48 PM
As an out-of-stater but with a fairly good grasp of geography, I know where Buffalo, Albany and New York are. I have a general idea that Rochester and Syracuse are somewhere east of Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far east nor do I always remember which comes first. As far as anything in the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany, forget knowing where anything really is.

I'd bet it would be like someone from New York or Mass knowing that there are cities in Michigan named Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, and that maybe they'd know they were between Detroit and Chicago, but they couldn't really place them given a blank map.
Syracuse is twice the size of Kalamazoo and it has a major university. (Sorry WMU, you don't count as major). It also has over half a million in metro population, Kalamazoo is only about 200K. Rocheste is even bigger than Syracuse. Battle Creek is smaller than even Utica.
Since NY population is twice that of Michigan, that ends up as regionally comparable cities...

Why does it matter whether New York City, almost 200 miles away, is there as opposed to being somehow absent or being in New Jersey (in which case Michigan and New York would have similar populations)?
And Detroit MSA is half of MI population.

There are interesting concepts of prominence and isolation in geography.  Isolation of peak is how far the nearest higher point is; and prominence is how low you need to go down to reach higher elevation (possibly not the same as nearest one!)
So isolation of a city (MSA) would be the distance to the nearest bigger city, if we use the similarity. Would be fun to look at those.
Back to original topic, isolation of both Syracuse and Rochester isn't great as Buffalo isn;t far from Rochester; and ROchester in turn not far from Syracuse which is smaller than both Buffalo and Rochester. Less than 100 miles for both cases
Now someone may try the same thing for Michigan?

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 05:53:15 PM
As an out-of-stater but with a fairly good grasp of geography, I know where Buffalo, Albany and New York are. I have a general idea that Rochester and Syracuse are somewhere east of Buffalo, but I'm not sure how far east nor do I always remember which comes first. As far as anything in the Hudson Valley between NYC and Albany, forget knowing where anything really is.

I'd bet it would be like someone from New York or Mass knowing that there are cities in Michigan named Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, and that maybe they'd know they were between Detroit and Chicago, but they couldn't really place them given a blank map.
Syracuse is twice the size of Kalamazoo and it has a major university. (Sorry WMU, you don't count as major). It also has over half a million in metro population, Kalamazoo is only about 200K. Rocheste is even bigger than Syracuse. Battle Creek is smaller than even Utica.
Since NY population is twice that of Michigan, that ends up as regionally comparable cities...
Upstate New York is kind of like its own state. About as much connection between Syracuse and NYC as Kalamazoo and Chicago.
Well Kalamazoo and Chicago are 150 miles apart, Syracuse and NYC are 250 miles apart and the fastest route isn't the NYS Thruway it's I-81 to I-84 to I-380 to I-80 to I-95.

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:34:52 PM

I don't see what the difference is. They are all major cities in their respective states. Western Michigan is a pretty major university btw.
I'm saying that for outsiders not from Upstate NY or Michigan, Rochester/Syracuse are probably better known than Kalamazoo/Battle Creek due to being much bigger cities.
Which was my point exactly. For people from outside the respective areas, neither Rochester/Syracuse nor Kalamazoo/Battle Creek are that well known. You might know they exist, but you don't know where they are or what roads go to/near them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on February 22, 2023, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 04:38:15 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 04:34:52 PM

I don't see what the difference is. They are all major cities in their respective states. Western Michigan is a pretty major university btw.
I'm saying that for outsiders not from Upstate NY or Michigan, Rochester/Syracuse are probably better known than Kalamazoo/Battle Creek due to being much bigger cities.
Which was my point exactly. For people from outside the respective areas, neither Rochester/Syracuse nor Kalamazoo/Battle Creek are that well known. You might know they exist, but you don't know where they are or what roads go to/near them.
But I'm pretty sure that the NY duo are more famous due to them being much bigger cities, and Syracuse having an ACC Power 5 school.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

College sports should have nothing to do with it. The city of Syracuse would be less well known by outsiders but just as important if the university there didn't share a name with the city.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 06:25:46 PM
College sports should have nothing to do with it. The city of Syracuse would be less well known by outsiders but just as important if the university there didn't share a name with the city.
Flint was bringing up cereal, I can bring up college sports. And having a major university does matter in terms of fame.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 06:26:29 PM
Flint was bringing up cereal, I can bring up college sports. And having a major university does matter in terms of fame.
You ever heard of the University of Michigan? I guess Ann Arbor should be a control city too.

Flint1979

How many Rochester's are there in the US? There's one in New York, one in Michigan and one in Minnesota that I know of off the top of my head.

Flint1979

Well Kellogg's is a pretty well known brand. Probably more well known than Syracuse University.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: GaryV on February 22, 2023, 06:27:29 PM
You ever heard of the University of Michigan? I guess Ann Arbor should be a control city too.
Wouldn't be completely opposed to signing Ann Arbor in Detroit, especially as a secondary. Chicago works just fine however. Having a big college doesn't make a control city, but would Tuscoloosa be one with Bama? Or would they just skip to Meridian and Birmingham?

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:28:03 PM
How many Rochester's are there in the US? There's one in New York, one in Michigan and one in Minnesota that I know of off the top of my head.
Never heard of the Michigan one. The Minnesota one is probably the only other one that people may have heard of due to the Mayo Clinic.

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:29:13 PM
Well Kellogg's is a pretty well known brand. Probably more well known than Syracuse University.
Sure but chocolate chip cookies were invented in Whitman, Massachusetts. Should be sign Whitman instead of Boston and Cape Cod on MA 3?

Flint1979

Or let's make East Lansing a control city instead of Lansing. I remember on WMMQ they use East Lansing and DeWitt as their broadcast cities on the radio at the top of the hour.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 06:30:26 PM
Wouldn't be completely opposed to signing Ann Arbor in Detroit, especially as a secondary. Chicago works just fine however. Having a big college doesn't make a control city, but would Tuscoloosa be one with Bama? Or would they just skip to Meridian and Birmingham?

Never heard of the Michigan one. The Minnesota one is probably the only other one that people may have heard of due to the Mayo Clinic.

Sure but chocolate chip cookies were invented in Whitman, Massachusetts. Should be sign Whitman instead of Boston and Cape Cod on MA 3?
That isn't even a good example.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:31:08 PM
Or let's make East Lansing a control city instead of Lansing. I remember on WMMQ they use East Lansing and DeWitt as their broadcast cities on the radio at the top of the hour.
I bet that most people that don't live in Michigan probably think that MSU is in Lansing, not East Lansing.

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:31:38 PM

I think it's fine. Just because a major company is headquartered somewhere doesn't mean it's control city status. Google is headquartered in Mountain View CA. Should we sign Mountain View on US 101 instead of San Jose and San Francisco?

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 06:32:51 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:31:08 PM
I bet that most people that don't live in Michigan probably think that MSU is in Lansing, not East Lansing.

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 22, 2023, 06:31:38 PM

I think it's fine. Just because a major company is headquartered somewhere doesn't mean it's control city status. Google is headquartered in Mountain View CA. Should we sign Mountain View on US 101 instead of San Jose and San Francisco?
No because it's a random city in the Bay Area. Battle Creek isn't even a random city in Michigan, it's one of the bigger cities in the state. I never even really said it SHOULD be used as a control city, it wouldn't be a bad choice though.

kalvado

More than 20, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester
Including 2 in NY and 2 in OH

Flint1979

Quote from: kalvado on February 22, 2023, 06:37:24 PM
More than 20, according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester
Including 2 in NY and 2 in OH
That's probably not the most popular name but it seems like theres one in every state.

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

vdeane

Quote from: kalvado on February 22, 2023, 05:57:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2023, 05:44:08 PM

Why does it matter whether New York City, almost 200 miles away, is there as opposed to being somehow absent or being in New Jersey (in which case Michigan and New York would have similar populations)?
And Detroit MSA is half of MI population.

There are interesting concepts of prominence and isolation in geography.  Isolation of peak is how far the nearest higher point is; and prominence is how low you need to go down to reach higher elevation (possibly not the same as nearest one!)
So isolation of a city (MSA) would be the distance to the nearest bigger city, if we use the similarity. Would be fun to look at those.
Back to original topic, isolation of both Syracuse and Rochester isn't great as Buffalo isn;t far from Rochester; and ROchester in turn not far from Syracuse which is smaller than both Buffalo and Rochester. Less than 100 miles for both cases
Now someone may try the same thing for Michigan?
Meanwhile, the NYC MSA is 101% of NY's population.  And NYC alone (no suburbs) is 42% of NY's population.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

FWIW, Upstate NY on its own would be less populous than Michigan because it doesn't have any cities/metro areas the size of Detroit. It would be very similar to Wisconsin in population.

Also, even as a road/geography geek, I still sometimes get mixed up by the cities in Michigan beyond Detroit. I know Flint is north of Detroit, and I know Lansing is roughly in the middle of the state, but couldn't tell you anything beyond that. And which interstates go through which cities? Forget about it. At least in upstate NY you know I-90 hits or comes close to all the major cities (sorry, Binghamton) :sombrero:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on February 22, 2023, 10:18:23 PM
FWIW, Upstate NY on its own would be less populous than Michigan because it doesn't have any cities/metro areas the size of Detroit. It would be very similar to Wisconsin in population.

Also, even as a road/geography geek, I still sometimes get mixed up by the cities in Michigan beyond Detroit. I know Flint is north of Detroit, and I know Lansing is roughly in the middle of the state, but couldn't tell you anything beyond that. And which interstates go through which cities? Forget about it. At least in upstate NY you know I-90 hits or comes close to all the major cities (sorry, Binghamton) :sombrero:
I know Michigan geography fairly well, and even I can't tell you exactly where Jackson and Battle Creek are. I do know where Saginaw and other Michigan cities generally are.

Rothman

The city's name ain't Kellogg, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Well, we are all agreed then.  Battle Creek should never be a control city.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 10:29:39 PM

I know Michigan geography fairly well, and even I can't tell you exactly where Jackson and Battle Creek are. I do know where Saginaw and other Michigan cities generally are.
You know it fairly well but can't tell anyone where Jackson or Battle Creek are? I can right off the top of my head and I could go ask my friend who knows nothing about Michigan outside of Saginaw and ask him where Jackson and Battle Creek are and he'd be able to tell me too. They are both pretty well known cities in Michigan.

Flint1979

Quote from: Rothman on February 22, 2023, 11:19:52 PM
The city's name ain't Kellogg, though.
You learn this stuff in school. It doesn't have to be the city name, it's pretty well known that Kellogg's is from Battle Creek.

Flint1979

It'd be easier for someone like me considering I'm from Michigan but I know where most of the Interstates go in most of the other states. Michigan really isn't hard to get around and get to know. I think off the top of my head I could tell you just about where any state highway, US highway or Interstate highway is and goes. But of course that's from traveling around the state my entire life.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.