Regional Boards > Northeast

State College Area Connector

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ketchup99:

--- Quote from: Bitmapped on December 19, 2022, 12:00:04 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 18, 2022, 07:24:35 PM ---I like the idea in theory, but there's not much pressure on 322 between Clearfield and Port Matilda. The other thing is that it would be nearly impossible to build a highway over Mount Nittany without raising the ire of environmentalists, who would have a good point. It's currently only three minutes longer to take 322 W -> 99 N -> 80 W as opposed to 322 -> 970 -> 80. Once the new interchange is finished, I'd bet a lot of trucks would choose that option too.

--- End quote ---

I'm going to disagree about there not being much pressure on US 322 between I-99 and I-80. All of US 322 between Port Matilda and PA 970 (Clearfield area) is at 8400 AADT or greater, with the part nearest PA 970 at 15,000 AADT. Those numbers are enough to start a conversation about four lanes, especially when you take into account the grades and high percentage of truck traffic.

--- End quote ---

Well, this threw me for a loop. I didn't realize the counts were that high, as every time I've driven it (which is routinely), it doesn't seem that congested. But numbers don't lie...

It would definitely be an interesting route to try to four-lane. In particular, the section heading down into Philipsburg from the east would be nearly impossible to four-lane. Would the only solution be a new bypass of Philipsburg? That would be expensive...

Roadsguy:

--- Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 24, 2022, 12:41:12 AM ---
--- Quote from: Ketchup99 on December 18, 2022, 07:24:35 PM ---I like the idea in theory, but there's not much pressure on 322 between Clearfield and Port Matilda. The other thing is that it would be nearly impossible to build a highway over Mount Nittany without raising the ire of environmentalists, who would have a good point. It's currently only three minutes longer to take 322 W -> 99 N -> 80 W as opposed to 322 -> 970 -> 80. Once the new interchange is finished, I'd bet a lot of trucks would choose that option too.

--- End quote ---

I'm going to disagree about there not being much pressure on US 322 between I-99 and I-80. All of US 322 between Port Matilda and PA 970 (Clearfield area) is at 8400 AADT or greater, with the part nearest PA 970 at 15,000 AADT. Those numbers are enough to start a conversation about four lanes, especially when you take into account the grades and high percentage of truck traffic.

--- End quote ---

Well, this threw me for a loop. I didn't realize the counts were that high, as every time I've driven it (which is routinely), it doesn't seem that congested. But numbers don't lie...

It would definitely be an interesting route to try to four-lane. In particular, the section heading down into Philipsburg from the east would be nearly impossible to four-lane. Would the only solution be a new bypass of Philipsburg? That would be expensive...

--- End quote ---

A new-alignment freeway is exactly what would most likely happen along the entire corridor from Port Matilda to I-80, and I believe PennDOT does still intend to build it someday, though it's been shelved for a long time. It's even designated ADHS Corridor O-1, a branch from Corridor O (I-99/US 220).

ARMOURERERIC:

--- Quote from: Roadsguy on December 24, 2022, 11:04:08 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

A new-alignment freeway is exactly what would most likely happen along the entire corridor from Port Matilda to I-80, and I believe PennDOT does still intend to build it someday, though it's been shelved for a long time. It's even designated ADHS Corridor O-1, a branch from Corridor O (I-99/US 220).

--- End quote ---

There was a straight line schematic posted on the board about 20 years ago

amberjns:

--- Quote from: Roadsguy on December 24, 2022, 11:04:08 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I would like to believe that this will actually happen. This is very important for me because my son was among the students from the Landscape Architecture 414 class who made their presentations regarding the State College Area Connector project at Center LifeLink. I hope everything works out for us. Regarding the State College Area Connector project, the compilation of all student's presentations will be available in February.

Advertising link removed.  --J N Winkler

74/171FAN:
PennDOT - District 2 News: PennDOT Releases Draft PEL as Part of the State College Area Connector (SCAC) Study

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version