News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famartin

So... seen a lot about turnpike widening in various locales... but nothing about where it seems to really need it:  I-276 (at least from I-476 east to PA 611).  Have they given up on improving that section because of ROW constraints?  Or are there local factors pushing against it?  Despite it being among the wider parts of the system, its also arguably the most congested (haven't seen stats, but its pretty routine during the morning and evening rush hours).

davewiecking

Quote from: famartin on October 12, 2022, 03:22:16 AM
So... seen a lot about turnpike widening in various locales... but nothing about where it seems to really need it:  I-276 (at least from I-476 east to PA 611).  Have they given up on improving that section because of ROW constraints?  Or are there local factors pushing against it?  Despite it being among the wider parts of the system, its also arguably the most congested (haven't seen stats, but its pretty routine during the morning and evening rush hours).

https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/design-construction shows no projects in that area.

MASTERNC

The biggest issues seem to be WB between PA 611 and PA 309 (just volume) and EB from east of the I-76 split to the NE Extension (due to the heavy merge of I-476 NB traffic) and then again to PA 309.  Not sure what would fix the WB issue, but the EB issue could be improved with a longer acceleration lane, if not a fourth lane to PA 309.  The rest of the Turnpike seems to flow well during rush hour, despite only 3 lanes.

Speaking of this area, work has started on toll gantries.  I saw a few equipment buildings in various construction phases around Downingtown and Reading.

jeffandnicole

The PA Turnpike tends to spread out their projects so no one area has all the work zones, allowing construction workers throughout the state to have work opportunities close to their home locale. This winds up with the situation we see: Rural areas that rarely experience congestion getting widened, while areas that have significant congestion just sitting there with 2 lanes still.

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 12, 2022, 09:18:48 AM

The biggest issues seem to be WB between PA 611 and PA 309 (just volume) and EB from east of the I-76 split to the NE Extension (due to the heavy merge of I-476 NB traffic) and then again to PA 309.  Not sure what would fix the WB issue, but the EB issue could be improved with a longer acceleration lane, if not a fourth lane to PA 309.  The rest of the Turnpike seems to flow well during rush hour, despite only 3 lanes.

I'd think 4 lanes each way between I-476 and PA 611 would be a big help. It seems like there isn't that much congestion elsewhere (certainly not anything comparable in most of the sections under active widening projects).

MASTERNC

Quote from: famartin on October 13, 2022, 12:20:44 AM

I'd think 4 lanes each way between I-476 and PA 611 would be a big help. It seems like there isn't that much congestion elsewhere (certainly not anything comparable in most of the sections under active widening projects).

The challenge will probably be more of the stretch between I-476 and PA 309.  I think the demographics are similar to those in Swarthmore, who successfully fought building I-476 with more than two lanes through their area.  Not sure they anticipated breathing all the fumes from the congestion in their backyard that resulted.  Further, there are a lot of bridges that will need to be widened in that stretch.

famartin

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 13, 2022, 08:46:24 AM
Quote from: famartin on October 13, 2022, 12:20:44 AM

The challenge will probably be more of the stretch between I-476 and PA 309.  I think the demographics are similar to those in Swarthmore, who successfully fought building I-476 with more than two lanes through their area.  Not sure they anticipated breathing all the fumes from the congestion in their backyard that resulted.  Further, there are a lot of bridges that will need to be widened in that stretch.

That's the most interesting thing about that section... most of those overpasses were never widened back when it was 6-laned, so you lose the shoulders under each one. Meanwhile, all more recent widenings have included complete replacements of overpasses. I'd think they are actually due to replace them along that stretch.

74/171FAN

I just received an email in regard to the Scranton Beltway stating the following:

QuoteWe would like to take this opportunity to update you about the Scranton Beltway Project.

A recent directive from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) for all major projects receiving federal funding now requires these projects to have their National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) review designation re-evaluated. As a result of this re-evaluation, we were notified earlier this year (2022) by FHWA that the Scranton Beltway project must now go through the Environmental Assessment (EA) process.

This federal directive and its resulting project changes will also change our timeframe.

We understand that this delay in the schedule will be disappointing to our stakeholders, and we share that disappointment. Unfortunately, this decision is out of our hands, and we must adhere to the regulations required by this Federal process. Please see the "˜Fall 2022- Anticipated Design and Field Work' for more information.

Fall 2022 — Anticipated Design and Field Work

Based on the directive from FHWA, the project team has continued to work through the EA process. Assembling the EA documentation is a more complex and lengthier process than what is required for a project designated as a CE. This process has added significant time, effort, and layers of reviews and approvals from outside agencies. We are actively going through the EA process and are evaluating any way that we can streamline the schedule and help expedite review times from outside agencies to the best of our ability. As a result of needing these approvals prior to having a public hearing, we have had to alter our original schedule of a Fall 2022 public hearing. We are currently anticipating a public hearing in 2023.

Please see the updated FAQs for additional information about the EA process.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Rothman

I find it laughable they tried to pass the Beltway project as a CE.  Designation of such a project as EA would not have come as a surprise in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

Are there other Turnpike projects further along in the review process that the PTC could pivot to instead?

davewiecking

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2022, 09:40:59 PM
Are there other Turnpike projects further along in the review process that the PTC could pivot to instead?

A quick review of https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/mileposts-12-14-total-reconstruction/design-construction-details reveals that this section had its overpasses rebuilt years ago, but actual work is awaiting funding. There may be other sections in a similar situation.

Editing to add that this section is already scheduled to start in 2023...

Roadsguy

Quote from: davewiecking on October 19, 2022, 10:14:17 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2022, 09:40:59 PM

A quick review of https://www.paturnpike.com/traveling/construction/site/mileposts-12-14-total-reconstruction/design-construction-details reveals that this section had its overpasses rebuilt years ago, but actual work is awaiting funding. There may be other sections in a similar situation.

Editing to add that this section is already scheduled to start in 2023...

Notably, this project will be the first time a standard Turnpike interchange (i.e. exiting the ticket system) will be converted from a trumpet-based design into a more generic design on the mainline. (The redesigned Quakertown exit on the Northeast Extension might beat it to opening.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Crown Victoria

A bill passed last month and awaiting the Governor's signature will help strengthen the PTC's efforts to pursue unpaid tolls by changing the thresholds for vehicle registration suspensions. It lowers the dollar amount threshold to $250, drops the number of unpaid Toll-by-Plate invoices from six to four, and increases the statute of limitations from three years to five.

It also directs the PTC to look into using services like Apple Pay and Venmo, and requires an annual report on toll collections.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2022/11/02/bill-pennsylvania-turnpike-tolls-collection-revenue/stories/202211020099

MASTERNC

Quote from: Crown Victoria on November 03, 2022, 08:29:52 AM
A bill passed last month and awaiting the Governor's signature will help strengthen the PTC's efforts to pursue unpaid tolls by changing the thresholds for vehicle registration suspensions. It lowers the dollar amount threshold to $250, drops the number of unpaid Toll-by-Plate invoices from six to four, and increases the statute of limitations from three years to five.

It also directs the PTC to look into using services like Apple Pay and Venmo, and requires an annual report on toll collections.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/politics-state/2022/11/02/bill-pennsylvania-turnpike-tolls-collection-revenue/stories/202211020099

The police need a real-time feed into the toll system to identify vehicles that drive through with obstructed plates (or no plates at all) and pull them over on the spot.  I'm sure I've seen news about this being done in other states.

Mr. Matté

So there was a fancy toll gantry constructed across the Northeast Extension at around mp 123.4 (perfect numbering).  Per roadwaywiz's drive in July, there were automated cameras on the southbound side but during my drive yestersay, nothing's on it. It's hard to search here about any information about it; what's the haps on this thing?

Roadsguy

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 23, 2022, 10:37:46 AM
So there was a fancy toll gantry constructed across the Northeast Extension at around mp 123.4 (perfect numbering).  Per roadwaywiz's drive in July, there were automated cameras on the southbound side but during my drive yestersay, nothing's on it. It's hard to search here about any information about it; what's the haps on this thing?

Judging by the sign, presumably they're testing implementation of open-road tolling for when they remove the toll plazas.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 23, 2022, 10:37:46 AM

I noticed the cameras were gone recently as well. Maybe they finished testing?

wilbur_the_goose

MASTERNC

Drove through the construction west of Somerset this week.  It looked like some of the new alignments were awaiting final paving, and there was paving on the eastbound side of the roadway.  However, I didn't see much done on the westbound side, which would make it difficult to switch to reconstructing the inner roadway.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Crown Victoria

Quick trip to western PA this weekend...and can confirm removal of the church steps in New Baltimore is in progress as part of reconstructing MP 126-130.

Rothman

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 03, 2022, 11:16:14 AM
Quick trip to western PA this weekend...and can confirm removal of the church steps in New Baltimore is in progress as part of reconstructing MP 126-130.
That sucks.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Crown Victoria on December 03, 2022, 11:16:14 AM

Not surprising. There was no safe parking for the stairs and the widening was just going to exacerbate the problem. Achieving ADA compliance would have also been tricky, requiring long ramps, and the new Findley Street bridge was built without a sidewalk.

MultiMillionMiler

The Pennsylvania Turnpike should be 3 lanes in each direction the entire length, especially west of Exit 201 and east of Exit 226. It's way too windy and weavy to be any narrower. It needs widening to be a safe road.

74/171FAN

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 03, 2022, 01:46:52 PM
The Pennsylvania Turnpike should be 3 lanes in each direction the entire length, especially west of Exit 201 and east of Exit 226. It's way too windy and weavy to be any narrower. It needs widening to be a safe road.

So everything except a specific part that is already 3 lanes?  This is a very redundant post.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.