Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Wisconsin notes

<< < (789/862) > >>

SEWIGuy:

--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 23, 2023, 05:21:35 PM ---I don't dispute Invincor's conclusion as it makes the most sense of any explanations, but I do wonder if the difference between the two routings is enough to create a nearly 50-mile discrepancy.

--- End quote ---

Not even close. Unless I am mis-measuring something, the US-12 routing is only a handful of miles longer.

The Ghostbuster:
I took the mileage numbers from the "US 10 in Wisconsin" Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_10_in_Wisconsin. I knew that US 10 was co-current with US 12 from Hudson to Humbird when the US Highway System debuted in 1926. Since US 10 was relocated onto its present alignment in 1934 (replacing what was then STH-34), the DOT should have updated US 10 to correspond with its existing length (294.01 miles) a long time ago. As for Interstate 39 and Interstate 41, 39 corresponds with US 51's mileposts from Exit 92 northward; that is why the exits south of where US 51 exits 39 are numbered 84-92 (as opposed to 78-86). Also, if Interstate 41's exits had been numbered by the post-2015 mileage of Interstate 41/US 41, all numbered exits from the Zoo Interchange northward would be numbered five digits higher than they are currently numbered. I don't have a problem with how Interstate 39 and 41's exits are numbered, just US 10's. Unfortunately for me, the numbers posted will likely never be changed. I just hope that if more non-numbered exits on existing State and US Highways receive numbers, they more accurately correspond with the routes' existing mileage.

invincor:

--- Quote from: SEWIGuy on January 23, 2023, 07:29:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 23, 2023, 05:21:35 PM ---I don't dispute Invincor's conclusion as it makes the most sense of any explanations, but I do wonder if the difference between the two routings is enough to create a nearly 50-mile discrepancy.

--- End quote ---

Not even close. Unless I am mis-measuring something, the US-12 routing is only a handful of miles longer.

--- End quote ---

When I rerun the calculations now, I only get a small difference too.  I must have made a mistake when I first investigated this.  So sorry, everyone, this doesn’t explain it after all!

JREwing78:

--- Quote from: SSOWorld on January 23, 2023, 06:19:06 PM ---I-90's mileposting also is way off. I-39 pulls off at 78 miles north of the IL State line - at exit 108.

--- End quote ---

I-90's mileposting is from East to West - from LaCrosse to Beloit. The math checks.

triplemultiplex:
The US 10 exit numbering is particularly annoying because they were starting from scratch when they started to number exits and put up mile markers ~10 years ago or whatever it was.  They could have done it to accurately reflect the actual path of US 10 in the state, but nope!

I think I measured it out when we first noticed this anomaly and I figured mile 0 for US 10 in Wisconsin would be in like Coon Rapids, Minnesota.  So the ancient routing for US 10 west of Fairchild wouldn't account for that large of a discrepancy. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version