News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekt8750

Does anyone have an idea what the exit number for the missing moves ramp from 42 North to 295 South will be? I've noticed all the new signs they're putting up on 42 North ahead of the interchange and with 55 being exit 13, Creek Rd exit 14, and 295 North exit 1B for 76 (although technically that ramp is in the 42 portion of the interchange) something's gonna have to give cause I don't think it would make much sense from a sequential standpoint to number it 1A since it falls between 13 and 14.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 02, 2015, 10:29:21 AM
Does anyone have an idea what the exit number for the missing moves ramp from 42 North to 295 South will be? I've noticed all the new signs they're putting up on 42 North ahead of the interchange and with 55 being exit 13, Creek Rd exit 14, and 295 North exit 1B for 76 (although technically that ramp is in the 42 portion of the interchange) something's gonna have to give cause I don't think it would make much sense from a sequential standpoint to number it 1A since it falls between 13 and 14.

We had debated that on here previously somewhere.  My gut feeling is that it will be 1A, to go along with I-76 Eastbound's 1A.  Remember - the actual crossing of the highways occur another 1/2 mile north, right about where I-76 begins, so I feel it should be associated with I-76's numbering system, not Rt. 42's.

For what it's worth, the current numbering system on the stretch of highway that goes from Philly to AC is full of hiccups anyway.  Coming from Atlantic City, one will encounter Exits 4 to 44, then 7 to 14, then 1B to 2.  Coming from Philadelphia, you have Exit 354, then Exits 1D - 1A, then Exits 14 - 7, then Exits 41 - 1.  And none of this includes the consideration of continuing on I-676.

If the missing move ramp is assigned 1A, motorists would encounter exit numbers in this order, if driving North on Rt. 42 towards the Ben Franklin Bridge:  ...9B, 12, 1A, 14, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2, 1, 3...

(For the record, most others didn't agree with me.)

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 02, 2015, 02:51:25 PM
Quote from: ekt8750 on July 02, 2015, 10:29:21 AM

We had debated that on here previously somewhere.  My gut feeling is that it will be 1A, to go along with I-76 Eastbound's 1A.  Remember - the actual crossing of the highways occur another 1/2 mile north, right about where I-76 begins, so I feel it should be associated with I-76's numbering system, not Rt. 42's.

For what it's worth, the current numbering system on the stretch of highway that goes from Philly to AC is full of hiccups anyway.  Coming from Atlantic City, one will encounter Exits 4 to 44, then 7 to 14, then 1B to 2.  Coming from Philadelphia, you have Exit 354, then Exits 1D - 1A, then Exits 14 - 7, then Exits 41 - 1.  And none of this includes the consideration of continuing on I-676.

If the missing move ramp is assigned 1A, motorists would encounter exit numbers in this order, if driving North on Rt. 42 towards the Ben Franklin Bridge:  ...9B, 12, 1A, 14, 1B, 1C, 1D, 2, 1, 3...

(For the record, most others didn't agree with me.)
This is why I-295 in Delaware doesn't have exit numbers. I-76 in NJ should have followed suit, assuming we can't get a consistent set of exit numbers from 76 to 42 to ACE. If you absolutely must have exit numbers, continue from PA. There's already exit 354 in NJ. That said, at least all the current exits (sans 354) match the mile markers on their respective roads and have a logical order to them. Inserting 1A between 12 and 14 would make things worse, especially since 1A looks too much like 14 on an exit tab already.

ekt8750

This is what happens when you have one road with 4 different designations on it. First off Exit 354 is DRPA just being stupid. They do know the state line is midspan of the bridge as they have a mile post for mile 3 heading west where two ramps merge so why would they number that exit 354 and not 3. Seriously either extend 42 up to the Walt (I know that'll never happen in a million years in Jersey) or extend 76 or better yet 676 to Deptford and renumber the exits accordingly. Having a highway change route designations within an interchange just doesn't make sense.

Quote from: bzakharin on July 02, 2015, 03:18:53 PMThere's already exit 354 in NJ. That said, at least all the current exits (sans 354) match the mile markers on their respective roads and have a logical order to them.

Except 676 is still using sequential exit numbers for some bizarre reason.

J Route Z

If only I-76 could just run through there continuously and not become Route 42....

ekt8750

Quote from: J Route Z on July 02, 2015, 04:35:46 PM
If only I-76 could just run through there continuously and not become Route 42....

In theory, it could run to at least the ACE split in Washington Twp. The freeway portion of 42 is pretty much up to interstate standards although they'd have to get a waiver for the Browning Mill Rd overpass where 76 ends now as it falls under the 14' minimum.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 02, 2015, 03:47:22 PMExcept 676 is still using sequential exit numbers for some bizarre reason.
I have to wonder if those numbers actually date back to when that highway was originally planned to be part of I-76.  The Walt Whitman Bridge and the lower part of the Schuylkill Expressway (south of/below the Vine Expressway) was I-676 prior to 1973-74.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on July 02, 2015, 05:22:54 PM
Quote from: J Route Z on July 02, 2015, 04:35:46 PM
If only I-76 could just run through there continuously and not become Route 42….

In theory, it could run to at least the ACE split in Washington Twp. The freeway portion of 42 is pretty much up to interstate standards although they'd have to get a waiver for the Browning Mill Rd overpass where 76 ends now as it falls under the 14' minimum.

That overpass will be replaced as part of the 295/76/42 interchange project.

And can we ever have a discussion about Route 42 without it drifting into "Why don't they renumber Rt. 42 as I-76?".

jeffandnicole

They are starting to pave what I believe will be a temporary roadway for 295 North. This is on the North/East side of the interchange, after the ramp from 42 North to 295 North. You can see the existing curve to the left with the chevrons and such. The visible overpass is traffic coming from 76 East to 295 North, which becomes the right lane for 295 North. This temp roadway will meet with this overpass on the right, thus that ramp will become the left lane of 295 North.

I think this temp roadway is being done in order for several new ramps to be constructed in the area where the curve currently exists.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 04, 2015, 02:45:21 PM
They are starting to pave what I believe will be a temporary roadway for 295 North. This is on the North/East side of the interchange, after the ramp from 42 North to 295 North. You can see the existing curve to the left with the chevrons and such. The visible overpass is traffic coming from 76 East to 295 North, which becomes the right lane for 295 North. This temp roadway will meet with this overpass on the right, thus that ramp will become the left lane of 295 North.

I think this temp roadway is being done in order for several new ramps to be constructed in the area where the curve currently exists.

Yes it's a temporary ramp. The new ramp from south bound 295 to southbound 42 will eventually go through the area where the north bound ramp currently is. The temp ramp will eventually go away because a new ramp will be built from 42 north bound going into the new mainline overpass.

I just noticed NJDOT posted the construction activities going on between now and December. Quite a bit happening in this time.

jeffandnicole

Whoops...maybe?

About 2 weeks ago on 295 north of the 76/42 interchange, a new Jersey Barrier wall was poured between the RR overpass and 168.  I noticed a few days ago the barrier above the 4 or so drainage inlets in that stretch was busted out.  By this morning, nearly the entire barrier has been removed!  I'm guessing something wasn't done proper with that concrete pour!

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 15, 2015, 03:41:39 PM
Whoops...maybe?

About 2 weeks ago on 295 north of the 76/42 interchange, a new Jersey Barrier wall was poured between the RR overpass and 168.  I noticed a few days ago the barrier above the 4 or so drainage inlets in that stretch was busted out.  By this morning, nearly the entire barrier has been removed!  I'm guessing something wasn't done proper with that concrete pour!

I was wondering about that! I have been on vacation for the past week, a good chunk of the barrier was there when I left, but then this morning I see it's all gone.

jeffandnicole

Well, a milestone event occurred overnight, though even NJDOT is downplaying the significance.

The first new overpass to be used by I-295 traffic opened this morning to traffic!

On 295 North, the former overpass used by mainline traffic curving down to 76/42 was closed, and the new overpass (which will eventually be used by 295 North to 76 West traffic) is now open to all 295 Northbound traffic.  The new overpass is much wider than the old - in its final configuration it will have 2 lanes with 2 wide shoulders.

Currently, for those wanting to use Exit 26, they will left exit from the mainline about 1/2 mile prior to the interchange.  295 North will stay in the 2 right lanes (using the right lane and right shoulder area).  295 North to 76 West (Exit 26) splits off to the left and uses pavement in the median of 295.   Exit 27 (also 295 North to 76 West) remains open as well.  The only ones that should be confused are those that like to make last second lane changes...wait too long, and they'll have no option other than to be forced directly onto 76 West!

jeffandnicole

Traffic on Creek Road will begin using the new overpass after this weekend. http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/073015a.shtm

This new portion of the overpass will eventually be used by traffic going West (say, from 168 to the Brooklawn Circle).  For now, the bridge will serve 2 way traffic while the remaining part of the original bridge is demolished and rebuilt.  The new overpass is about 4 feet higher than the old overpass.  Rt. 42 had a minimum clearance of 14' 3" on the NB side; 14' 5" on the SB side.

The signed detours are quite lengthy, but fit with NJDOT's policy of not detouring traffic utilizing exits prior to the closure area.  The unofficial detours thru the nearby developments will save some time for car traffic.  If truckers have knowledge of the detour, many of them would be better off using exits on I-76 (Exit 1C or 1D for US 130) or I-295 (Exit 23, US 130 or Exit 28, NJ 168), depending on their destination.

danlb_2000

So they did the lane shift on 295 S at Essex Ave over the weekend. The new ramp is going to take some getting used to, I found it little tricky when I did it today since it's so much steeper and has a little tighter curve then before. Fortunately it's only temporary. Doesn't look like they are wasting any time on the last section of the Essex Ave bridge, they have already started putting in the sheet pile so they can start the demolition.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 17, 2015, 08:30:58 PM
So they did the lane shift on 295 S at Essex Ave over the weekend. The new ramp is going to take some getting used to, I found it little tricky when I did it today since it's so much steeper and has a little tighter curve then before. Fortunately it's only temporary. Doesn't look like they are wasting any time on the last section of the Essex Ave bridge, they have already started putting in the sheet pile so they can start the demolition.

It is a strangely and surprisingly sharp curve.  The old one, as you came up from driving side-by-side with Rt. 42, you could approach 60 mph or faster.  Now, anything over 45 and you feel like you're going to roll the car!

jeffandnicole

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2015/I-295ramptoRoute168tobeclosedtonightandtomorrowinBellmawr.shtm

Good luck finding 168 WB on your maps.

A little surprised NJDOT even posted this. There have been many a night when the ramp was closed due to construction on 295, without any advanced notice. At least they do have the detour signs uncovered during those ramp closures.

jeffandnicole

Since it's been a while...here's some updates on the construction:

The ramp from I-76 East to 295 North is using new pavement to the right of the existing ramp, prior to accessing the existing overpass, in order to make room for the new overpass.  Per the unusual speed limit happenings of this project, the signed limit was INCREASED to 45 mph for this ramp, rather than the 35 mph it's always been.  The new overpass will be built just slightly to the north of the existing overpass.  Temporary jersey barriers are now set up in the median, closing the left shoulder, in order to build the new bridge pier.  Work has been going on near the right shoulder of I-76 West preparing for the new endcap needed for this new overpass.

On 295 South, between 168 & 42, traffic is shifted to the left as sound barrier construction work is going on.  The new alignment actually pulls the roadway slightly in towards the median.  On the 295 mainline just after the Exit 26 split as traffic approaches the Aljo curve, they have been doing some work about 20 feet below the existing roadway; probably some sort of ground stabilizing for the new 76/42 ramps.

South of 42/76, 295 southbound traffic is shifted to the left of its former alignment, creating a hard right curve motorists need to navigate.  The remainder of the former overpass over Essex Ave has been removed, and will be replaced with another structure with a slightly different alignment and slope to account for the new overpass over 42/76.  A retaining wall is being built that stretches from near Browning Rd to Essex Ave.  The ramp from 76 East to 295 South will be the closest lane to the wall.

On 295 North approaching Rt. 42, a few new sign structures have been installed, including an odd one installed this past weekend that doesn't list destination cities for Exit 26.  Also odd...and this is probably a contractor error...there's an BGS for Exit 27 prior to Exit 26, however it's clearly an 'Exit Only' sign for Exit 26.

Traffic is using the new overpass over Rt. 42.  The former overpass is almost completely demolished, except for a short section in the median of Rt. 42.  It looks like a highway that was destroyed in a war, but with a clean looking milepost sign still sticking out from the rubble.

On 295 North, north of Rt. 42, a retaining wall is starting to be built along 295's curve which appears to be part of the 76 East to 295 North ramp.  A sound barrier has been fully constructed approaching 168, and traffic is now shifted to the right close to the barrier. 

On 42, the remainder of the former Creek Rd overpass is gone, and they are now building the rest of the new overpass.

jeffandnicole

As for a birds-eye view of the construction area, as it so happened an 18-wheeler overturned on 295 within the interchange day.  The camera will pan over to view the traffic jam...but also allows the opportunity to see some of the work going on in the area!

http://6abc.com/traffic/overturned-tractor-trailer-jams-traffic-in-bellmawr/1051879/

jeffandnicole

Well, 1 of the first 2 APLs in this project is now history!  This APL:  https://goo.gl/maps/w13r5tRQ13A2 , installed just 2 years ago, was removed last weekend, along with the entire assembly.  For those that are familiar with the interchange, you know how 295 North curves away from this area to the right.  When you look at the link, you can make out what will become a new ramp to the immediate right - that will be a 3 lane curve to bypass the existing curve.  The curve meets the existing roadway right where the sign's support base is located, so the assembly had to come down. 

This is all necessary as the new 76 East to 295 North ramp will be lower than the existing ramp, reducing the clearance on the existing ramp to about 10 feet or thereabouts!

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 10, 2016, 02:40:41 PM
Well, 1 of the first 2 APLs in this project is now history!  This APL:  https://goo.gl/maps/w13r5tRQ13A2 , installed just 2 years ago, was removed last weekend, along with the entire assembly.  For those that are familiar with the interchange, you know how 295 North curves away from this area to the right.  When you look at the link, you can make out what will become a new ramp to the immediate right - that will be a 3 lane curve to bypass the existing curve.  The curve meets the existing roadway right where the sign's support base is located, so the assembly had to come down. 

This is all necessary as the new 76 East to 295 North ramp will be lower than the existing ramp, reducing the clearance on the existing ramp to about 10 feet or thereabouts!

I take it they don't want large trucks going east/south of Bellmawr huh.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ekt8750 on February 10, 2016, 03:24:06 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 10, 2016, 02:40:41 PM

I take it they don't want large trucks going east/south of Bellmawr huh.

That would disappoint a lot of businesses in South Jersey!!

danlb_2000

Here are some pictures of the new sign structure on 295 between Bell Road and Black Horse Pike. Sorry for the poor quality of the north bound one, it was taken into the sun as you can see.

jeffandnicole

Glancing around NJDOT's webpage for the project, the work is going slower than predicted (not quite a surprise from what I can see).  Originally schedule to be completed in 2021, the project is now supposed to wrap up in 2023!

Phase 3 should've been put out to bid by now.  Now the timeline appears to put it out to bid in 'Winter 2016', which includes early 2017.

jeffandnicole

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/about/press/2016/070816.shtm

Variable message signs announcing this have been up since last week.

Current appearance of the new ramp, leading over a temp overpass over a stream as one approaches the Aljo curve on the other side.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.