News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danlb_2000

The ramp opened last night. Not sure if it really should be called a ramp since at the moment it is just a bypass while they build the next section of the ramp. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out during rush hour. They did put rumble strips on the ramp to get people to keep the speed down but it probably won't be much worse then the current slow down into the Al-Jo curve.

jeffandnicole

Here's some amateur video of the new ramp by yours truly. In the left lane, an odd pavement layer makes a loud high-pitched sound that you can slightly hear on the upslope. The right lane does not make this same sound.

The lanes split about 1/4 mile before their prior split, and advanced signage does not reflect the change.  There was quite a bit of traffic that appeared to miss it, and was stacked up taking the I-76, 1C exit, which allows traffic to return to 295 or 42. 

https://youtu.be/oGHm0aTohU8

Roadrunner75

Quote from: danlb_2000 on July 09, 2016, 03:12:14 PM
The ramp opened last night. Not sure if it really should be called a ramp since at the moment it is just a bypass while they build the next section of the ramp. It's going to be interesting to see how this works out during rush hour. They did put rumble strips on the ramp to get people to keep the speed down but it probably won't be much worse then the current slow down into the Al-Jo curve.
So is the entirety of that ramp part of the future "Ramp C" in the project map (Selected Alternative D here:  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/pdf/ShortlistAltMap-D.pdf )

It looks fairly permanent for most of the length, although it would seem that the ramp should swing further to the left while it's still on the upgrade to the split to Ramp B (to I-76), rather than its current alignment directly toward the underpass into the Al-Jo curve.  What exactly is the plan here with that ramp?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 11, 2016, 01:09:14 AM
So is the entirety of that ramp part of the future "Ramp C" in the project map (Selected Alternative D here:  http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt295/pdf/ShortlistAltMap-D.pdf )

It looks fairly permanent for most of the length, although it would seem that the ramp should swing further to the left while it's still on the upgrade to the split to Ramp B (to I-76), rather than its current alignment directly toward the underpass into the Al-Jo curve.  What exactly is the plan here with that ramp?

The upslope of the ramp, where the sound barrier to the right is located in my video, is permanent. The downslope, including the overpass (which on the video is paved with asphalt, with a small section of concrete before and after) is temporary. 

Using the project map, you'll notice overpasses are marked in red. There's no red on this ramp, leading me to further believe the downslope and overpass are temporary.

I think this was all done so they could work in the middle, including that swing to the left that couldn't be constructed with existing 295 in the way.  The Aljo curve won't disappear entirely until Contract #4, sometime around 2022 or 2023 (ugh).  While 295 South should be shifted onto the new overpass over I-295 later this decade, the ramp from 295 South to 42 South will continue to use the Aljo curve into next decade.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2016, 02:01:52 PM

The upslope of the ramp, where the sound barrier to the right is located in my video, is permanent. The downslope, including the overpass (which on the video is paved with asphalt, with a small section of concrete before and after) is temporary. 

Using the project map, you'll notice overpasses are marked in red. There's no red on this ramp, leading me to further believe the downslope and overpass are temporary.

I think this was all done so they could work in the middle, including that swing to the left that couldn't be constructed with existing 295 in the way.  The Aljo curve won't disappear entirely until Contract #4, sometime around 2022 or 2023 (ugh).  While 295 South should be shifted onto the new overpass over I-295 later this decade, the ramp from 295 South to 42 South will continue to use the Aljo curve into next decade.
It seems like they went through a lot more trouble than needed to make this temporary section more permanent, including the lighting.  I assume the short overpass section is for the creek, or is that further down where it meets grade and the original alignment into the curve?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 11, 2016, 07:48:23 PM

It seems like they went through a lot more trouble than needed to make this temporary section more permanent, including the lighting.  I assume the short overpass section is for the creek, or is that further down where it meets grade and the original alignment into the curve?

They are spending a LOT of money on temporary structures and other things for this project.  Numerous BGSs - nicer ones than permanent ones you find elsewhere - are only to be in use for a few years.  Many roadways in this project has been paved over at least once; in some cases twice, maybe to hide the numerous line changes that had to be put down.  They divided up the project into 4 contracts to spread out the costs and help maintain traffic flow (as it is, it's one of the few projects you'll come across where the net number of lanes *increased* in a construction zone).  But, bridges like this one are a fairly significant cost to the overall project, and won't be in use more than 8 years (and that's due to delays...originally it wouldn't have lasted 5 years! 

There is a creek below, which until this overpass was built had a small culvert...it should show up in this GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/f7n4URWCvkM2 .  Maybe this bridge was necessary to span it, but for most motorists it looks like it's a bridge over nothing.

lepidopteran

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2016, 08:16:44 PM
They are spending a LOT of money on temporary structures and other things for this project. 
The temporary overpasses being built -- are these the typical "permanent" design, complete with concrete piers and a structural steel bridge deck?  Or are these the standard temporary bridges, such as the "Bailey bridge" with prefabricated truss sides.  Some temporary bridges use a style of pier made up of steel I-beams braced together in a manner reminiscent of some older railroad trestles.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 12, 2016, 02:21:15 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 11, 2016, 08:16:44 PM
They are spending a LOT of money on temporary structures and other things for this project. 
The temporary overpasses being built -- are these the typical "permanent" design, complete with concrete piers and a structural steel bridge deck?  Or are these the standard temporary bridges, such as the "Bailey bridge" with prefabricated truss sides.  Some temporary bridges use a style of pier made up of steel I-beams braced together in a manner reminiscent of some older railroad trestles.

Closer to the first guess.  Concrete abutment wall on either side with a precast concrete bridge deck, about 8 panels.  Appearance-wise, sliding those bridge deck pieces in went very fast, only took slightly over 24 hours.  The rest of this portion of the project has taken months!

J Route Z

danlb_2000

I am wondering if the swing to the left will be built as an overpass so that the old path to the Al-Jo curve can be restored until it is no longer needed, of this new bypass ramp will remain until the curve is eliminated? This ramp is definitely one of the more complex parts of this project, each of the four contracts is doing part of it. The really interesting part is where it is going to go under 76.

Here is a picture of one of the concrete beams used for the temporary bridge, it's a pretty impressive piece of work. This was parked in the dirt along the Al-Jo curve and I passed it one day right after we had a really bad rain. The truck was sunk pretty badly into the mud and it looked like it was going to be quite an operation to get it out.

The new traffic pattern doesn't seem to be making the backup any worse along there, at least not when I pass through there, but people are still jumping over at the last minute and the barriers make for much less room for error when people do this.

SteveG1988

Wouldn't suprise me if all the temporary bits can be removed and used elsewhere.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

jeffandnicole

Well, it appears Contract 1 (of 4) is wrapping up!

Contract 1 consisted of replacing the Bell Rd overpass over I-295 (completed last year), replacing the Essex Ave overpass over 295 (recently completed), and replacing Creek Rd over Rt. 42 (completed this week).  I-76 was slightly lowered near US 130; a temporary jersey barrier from this work remains in place as contra-flow lanes will be used again in Contract 4.  And the new ramp which will eventually be for the 295 North to 76 West movement has been open for all 295 North traffic for about a year as well.

295 South below Rt. 42 is on its new alignment; which swings it in slightly into the median.  They even reposted the 65 mph limit signs, although strangely they were put up last week, covered on Monday, and uncovered on Wednesday (not that they were overly concerned about the work zone limit...the one 45 mph sign is well off the roadway behind some trees).  If you want to go on the technical nature of signage, a short stretch that was permanently 35 mph pre-construction is now 65 mph!

Temporary work, such as 295 South north of 42/76 that was put on a new alignment and the ramp from 42 North to 295 North, will be removed and finished in later contracts.

A new 'Begin 42 South' sign was posted where the 295 South ramp to 42 South is located; this is technically about 700 feet south of its actual 'begin' location, which is under Browning Rd.

Just about all the work going on right now is related to Contract 2 which has another year or so left; Contract 3 should be going out to bid this fall and work beginning by winter.

danlb_2000

I noticed this along 295 South just below 42. Why does this happen?

jeffandnicole

The sign remover guy keeps calling out sick.

And since they're double sided, there's actually SIX mp signs in this location!  A few other locations are similiar, and numerous other locations have double mp signs.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 11, 2016, 05:32:25 PM
The sign remover guy keeps calling out sick.

And since they're double sided, there's actually SIX mp signs in this location!  A few other locations are similiar, and numerous other locations have double mp signs.
They really want you to know that this is mile 26. It will always be mile 26.

The fact that it's double sided is strange. Double sided mileposts are usually posted on the median barrier, unless I-295 switches sides through the interchange.

jeffandnicole

The new, preferred way of doing it, at least in NJ, is to only use mileposts every 2/10th of a mile, but have them double sided so that no matter where you're at, you can see them.  When you're travelling along, those mileposts appear every few seconds.  But when you're broken down on the side of the road, you can be 500 feet away from one...approaching the length of 2 football fields, and they are very hard to even find, much less read, at that point.

In very busy areas such as this interchange, it appears they are still signing the mileposts every 1/10th of a mile, and double siding them.  That reduces the distance you have to look for one to only 250 feet max.  It's still a significant distance standing on the side of the road, but a lot easier to see.

If there's one thing New Jersey does pretty well, it's using mileposts.  They may not always stay up (it's amazing how often they get hit), but of everything they do, they tend to be good at installing these reference markers as frequently as possible.  Around the 295/73 interchange, it appears they had some sort of testing area going on with various mileposts, colors, and sizes, including on the ramps themselves. 

The biggest question here is why they keep putting up new signs (and why they don't take down the old ones!).  The 2 larger signs are a product of the current construction going on, with I believe the most recent version using the large N/S/E/W in the cardinal direction.  The smaller of the signs was part of a larger regional project to install the enhanced mileposts with direction and route number.  Other than bigger is better, they are all fairly new and easily readable.

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 12, 2016, 09:08:28 AM
The new, preferred way of doing it, at least in NJ, is to only use mileposts every 2/10th of a mile, but have them double sided so that no matter where you're at, you can see them.  When you're travelling along, those mileposts appear every few seconds.  But when you're broken down on the side of the road, you can be 500 feet away from one...approaching the length of 2 football fields, and they are very hard to even find, much less read, at that point.

In very busy areas such as this interchange, it appears they are still signing the mileposts every 1/10th of a mile, and double siding them.  That reduces the distance you have to look for one to only 250 feet max.  It's still a significant distance standing on the side of the road, but a lot easier to see.

If there's one thing New Jersey does pretty well, it's using mileposts.  They may not always stay up (it's amazing how often they get hit), but of everything they do, they tend to be good at installing these reference markers as frequently as possible.  Around the 295/73 interchange, it appears they had some sort of testing area going on with various mileposts, colors, and sizes, including on the ramps themselves. 

The biggest question here is why they keep putting up new signs (and why they don't take down the old ones!).  The 2 larger signs are a product of the current construction going on, with I believe the most recent version using the large N/S/E/W in the cardinal direction.  The smaller of the signs was part of a larger regional project to install the enhanced mileposts with direction and route number.  Other than bigger is better, they are all fairly new and easily readable.

76 is littered with them from Bellmawr to the Walt now. The new ones omit the now needless 76L shields that were on the older ones but still looks sloppy.

epzik8

Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

This belongs in the Department of Redundancy Department thread.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: epzik8 on August 12, 2016, 11:40:28 AM
Quote from: danlb_2000 on August 11, 2016, 04:44:28 PM

This belongs in the Department of Redundancy Department thread.

Redundancy Department of Redundancy Department of Redundancy, to be exact.

So...this is what I figured out.  The original (small) sign is a NJDOT regular install sign when they first used the enhanced milemarkers which are at least 5 years old. They used these in very highly travelled sections of highway, and they exist every 1/10th of a mile.  The 2nd sign, which is the tall sign you see in full, was installed by the construction contractors.  The 3rd generation, with the Larger S, is part of that new NJDOT milepost signing project I mentioned above.  Other than in very specific areas (such as around this interchange), they are signed every 2/10th's of a mile.  I've seen these installed on 195 so far as well.

Within the interchange, they have a LOT of milepost signage, probably to help motorists tell 911 dispatchers exactly where an incident is. Every ramp is pretty well signed as well, with reference info specific to those ramps. 

PHLBOS

IMHO, the 2nd-generation mile marker is the best looking of the three.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

A significant change will be occurring this weekend...

I-295 North, after it comes down alongside Rt. 42, will quickly turn to the right just after it passes under Browning Road.  Previously, 295 North went under the 76 East to 295 North ramp, and the ramp met 295 North on the right.  Now, for the next few years, 295 will curve up earlier, and that ramp will meet 295 on the left.

The temporary roadway is necessary because of the new 76 East to 295 North ramp.  The steel beams will be too low over the existing roadway for 295 traffic (especially trucks) to get underneath it.

danlb_2000

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2016, 03:20:23 PM

I-295 North, after it comes down alongside Rt. 42, will quickly turn to the right just after it passes under Browning Road.  Previously, 295 North went under the 76 East to 295 North ramp, and the ramp met 295 North on the right.  Now, for the next few years, 295 will curve up earlier, and that ramp will meet 295 on the left.

The temporary roadway is necessary because of the new 76 East to 295 North ramp.  The steel beams will be too low over the existing roadway for 295 traffic (especially trucks) to get underneath it.

This ramp opened this morning. I actually like it since I generally need to be in the right lane anyway so now I don't need to cross over traffic. The ramp also has less of a curve then the existing one. The one thing I am curious about is how they will finish the retaining wall along there now that this ramp is open.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: danlb_2000 on September 24, 2016, 07:51:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 23, 2016, 03:20:23 PM

This ramp opened this morning. I actually like it since I generally need to be in the right lane anyway so now I don't need to cross over traffic. The ramp also has less of a curve then the existing one. The one thing I am curious about is how they will finish the retaining wall along there now that this ramp is open.

One thing I didn't like is that the three I-295 lanes eventually merge into one lane via two separate right-lane-ends merge-overs, whereas the 76 East to 295 North 2 lane ramp retains its 2 lanes.  While it's not uncommon for people to merge over anyway, it creates one of those unfortunate situations where traffic on the mainline is forced to merge over.

It would be better if the allowed 2 lanes of 295 to continue, and have the left lane of the 76 to 295 ramp traffic be the lane that ends.

danlb_2000

jeffandnicole

Looking up various info regarding Contract 3 of this project, it's interesting to see references to the timeline of the history of the roadway.  Many of the as-built plans make reference to Route 80 S and Route 108 (that one I had to look up, and found on Alps' websites that it appears to have been a state route number given to what would be I-295).  In typical NJ fashion, rarely (but not never) do they reference Interstates as Interstates, and prefer just to call everything 'Route'. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.