News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

most "dangerous" city you've been to?

Started by CapeCodder, August 03, 2017, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

Brooklyn ghetto in the dead of night. I was 11 at the time, and had to haul a load of luggage on the sidewalks. There were a noticeable number of dead animals. I saw several cats just sitting there not breathing or anything, one was rotting, and there was one dead dog. I suppose I'm lucky not to have been mugged. The stores that were open (only about two of them) were behind bulletproof glass and metal bars.

Before you ask, I had no choice. My family that was with me needed accommodations for the night (I had flown in to JFK just a few hours prior and needed to head back to CLT at 6 AM the next morning), and my aunt's apartment in Brooklyn was the only option. Bus service only went so far that late, and a taxi wasn't an option for very long.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeek Adam

As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as an unsafe city. People will treat you right as long you don't bother them. I've been to hoods from Camden to Englewood to Watts and Compton. Seriously, no one's ever bothered me.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 14, 2017, 12:38:35 AM
As far as I am concerned, there is no such thing as an unsafe city. People will treat you right as long you don't bother them. I've been to hoods from Camden to Englewood to Watts and Compton. Seriously, no one's ever bothered me.
Even Damascus?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeek Adam

Like I have experience with war zones? Obviously I mean American cities.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 14, 2017, 05:53:23 PM
You should have specified America.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

index

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 14, 2017, 06:44:09 PM

It was implied with his post. He listed well known dangerous American neighborhoods and cities.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: index on October 14, 2017, 10:26:56 PM

It was implied with his post. He listed well known dangerous American neighborhoods and cities.
He should have specified america.

Roadgeek Adam

Or you should be properly educated and look those place up yourself.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 15, 2017, 12:02:52 AM
Or you should be properly educated and look those place up yourself.
I know those places.

Roadgeek Adam

Then you shouldn't have had to figure it out.
Adam Seth Moss

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on October 15, 2017, 12:22:24 AM
I knew the cities dude.  You just were not specific enough.

7/8

I think St. Louis, Chicago, and Washington, DC for the US, and Regina and Winnipeg for Canada are the most dangerous cities I've been to. Probably because I stayed in good neighbourhoods, I felt safe in all of them.

Roosevelt Blvd (US 1/13) in north Philadelphia and Niagara Falls Blvd (US 62) in Niagara Falls, NY were two of the saddest streets I've driven on.

21stCenturyRoad

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 15, 2017, 12:31:24 AM
Oh really? Are you aware that there are several Englewoods around the country? Since you claim to know  all the places that Adam was referring to, can you tell me which Englewood in what State was he referring to?
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

Plutonic Panda

Inglewood or Englewood? Isn't there an Inglewood in Florida? That bothers me. Just like I don't like to hear the name Hollywood, Florida. Ugh....

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on October 15, 2017, 12:41:37 AM
Oh really? Are you aware that there are several Englewoods around the country? Since you claim to know  all the places that Adam was referring to, can you tell me which Englewood in what State was he referring to?
New Jersey

Roadgeek Adam

Adam Seth Moss

Alps

You didn't specify.

kphoger

Quote from: index on October 14, 2017, 10:26:56 PM

I don't see it being implied in the OP.  And I didn't find it obvious that you meant American cities.  Furthermore, I talked about a foreign city and nobody jumped on me for it being off-topic, so it would be reasonable to assume from that that the thread can include foreign cities.  Yeesh...

At any rate, I just remembered another one.  Back before the bus station in Saint Louis (Missouri, not Senegal) was moved down to Amtrak, it used to be at 13th and Cass, which is not the neighborhood to be in at night.  I was transferring buses there at 4 or 5 AM one night on my way to meet my wife for the first time (we met online, and this was the first time we would meet in person).  I had some time to kill, so I went to find some breakfast, with suitcase and a vase of flowers in hand.  A homeless man made his way over to me to ask what I was doing on the street in this neighborhood at such a time.  He then pointed down the block to a group of ne'er-do-wells, advised me that he would show me where the nearest White Castle was and protect me if they or anyone else approached to cause trouble, in exchange for my buying him breakfast.  I obliged, and we got some breakfast together.  Word quickly got around on the street, and I was approached shortly thereafter by a relative of the man's, asking if I would help him by buying a few groceries, which I did.  Then someone else asked if I would help by going with them to the thrift store but, by that time, I needed to be boarding my bus.

I had quickly gone from being an easy target to being everyone's favorite man around.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doorknob60

I've been on (separate) mission trips to inner city Oakland, CA and the tenderloin district in San Fransisco. I never felt in any danger, though we were always in groups of at least 2-4 people (sometimes with locals). Also have been to San Jose, Costa Rica but I don't think I would consider that dangerous (at least where I was), I found it a pretty nice city.

mrsman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 15, 2017, 01:18:57 PM
New Jersey

He probably was referring to the Englewood neighborhood in Chicago's south side (Ashland/63rd).  Englewood NJ is actually a relatively nice suburb.

That being said, I think it is obvious from implication that the thread is referring to dangerous due to normal crime, not warzones.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: mrsman on October 19, 2017, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 15, 2017, 01:18:57 PM
New Jersey

He probably was referring to the Englewood neighborhood in Chicago's south side (Ashland/63rd).  Englewood NJ is actually a relatively nice suburb.

That being said, I think it is obvious from implication that the thread is referring to dangerous due to normal crime, not warzones.
Then how about Carcas?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Little Rock is Crime City right now! I don't think even any other city has been as bad as Little Rock. The city is very small for the amount of crime there is! It's crazy! There have been at least three shootings in the past month, if not more!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 19, 2017, 06:32:32 PM
Little Rock is Crime City right now! I don't think even any other city has been as bad as Little Rock. The city is very small for the amount of crime there is! It's crazy! There have been at least three shootings in the past month, if not more!

The number of shootings in Lexington has been absolutely unreal this year. A friend with connections to the police department there tells me that gangs are infiltrating.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I'm not sure. I've been to Detroit, St. Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore, Cleveland, Gary, Flint, Little Rock, Memphis.

All my dangerous experiences have happened in Detroit.

The worst thing to happen to me was one night I was driving on I-96 in Detroit and blew my tire. I remember I was near the Evergreen or Greenfield exit one of the two, but I had to walk up to Schoolcraft to get to a gas station to get any help. I also had to walk across the local lanes of I-96 to get to the side of the expressway. Another time I was driving near Henry Ford Hospital and actually missed the end of a street and slammed into the curb. All that happened was I had to get two new front tires. I remember another time in Detroit where I ended up with a guy and we were riding around. He wanted a ride to a place near Grand River and Greenfield, he got out and as soon as I didn't see him anymore I just took off on him. I didn't even know the guy. Those are about the worst experiences I have had in Detroit.

It's just that I've been in Detroit more than these other cities I mentioned except Flint. I haven't had any bad experiences in Flint that I can remember.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.