News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Powder House Road, Sioux Falls

Started by thspfc, October 05, 2019, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

What are the plans for Powder House Rd in Sioux Falls? It's alignment makes me think that it will someday be turned into an outer loop of the outskirts of the city.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

X99

why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Plutonic Panda

thspfc

Sprawl isn't a bad thing for a city the size of Sioux Falls. Atlanta or Houston, though . . .

X99

Quote from: thspfc on October 06, 2019, 08:49:24 PM
Sprawl isn't a bad thing
...unless you're talking about Box Elder.

North to south:
City Hall and the school district are next to the base.
Gap.
Most housing is along 1416 and Radar Hill Road.
Bigger gap.
The high-revenue businesses are at the interstate exit that serves the US 16 bypass of Rapid City, with no direct connection to the rest of Box Elder.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

M86

Quote from: thspfc on October 05, 2019, 09:07:10 AM
What are the plans for Powder House Rd in Sioux Falls? It's alignment makes me think that it will someday be turned into an outer loop of the outskirts of the city.
It's not actually Powder House Road anymore. There is a section of Powder House Road, but it's a short residential street to the east of current SD 11/Future SD 100. Somebody on the Sioux Falls City Council had a kid in the military and wanted a Veterans Road, Avenue, Parkway, Expressway, etc. He wanted Russell Street in the NW part of town to be renamed that. That would have been a nightmare renaming that road, with numerous hotels and the events center, etc. Then they went after this new roadway. Historians were mad about it, since Powder House Road has some history behind it (A powder house exploded back in the 1930s and was felt back west into Sioux Falls. Windows were blown out, stuff like that, it was a pretty big deal.) Unpopular opinion: We have enough stuff named after veterans.

So, now it's Veteran's Parkway and Future SD 100. But the loop from I-29 to I-90 will be SD 100. They're working on the north interchange with I-90 currently.

Here's the SDDOT link: https://dot.sd.gov/inside-sddot/get-involved/special-studies/sd-100-corridor-preservation-project

They're planning interchanges of SD 100 at Benson Road and 57th Street, but I have a feeling they will build those as at-grade intersections in the interim, because the traffic isn't there yet, at all. It's just rural roads. Why they didn't plan/acquire right of way at Arrowhead Pkwy is beyond me. If growth continues, that could be a bottleneck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.